User Tag List

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Season V5.0

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial31 days registered
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Everything looks good and solid but I'd feel more comfy with a person who knows more than I, looking over it first, before I fire it.

I have drawn it back, several times.
    A couple years back, I had two of my bows break a string in one season. Each of them opened up my left wrist. One was just a shallow cut and a big bruise. The other nearly had me go to the hospital before I could get the bleeding stopped.

Nothing to mess with.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    A couple years back, I had two of my bows break a string in one season. Each of them opened up my left wrist. One was just a shallow cut and a big bruise. The other nearly had me go to the hospital before I could get the bleeding stopped.

Nothing to mess with.
    Oh, I know. I went in our Pawn shop about 7 years ago, picked up a 3hundred $ bow, just had to draw it back. It was one of those elliptical cams with a deceptively smooth let off. Like maybe 70%

Anyhow, I drew with 2 fingers and when I went to let it back down, it got away from me a dry fired. I was not injured but a cam broke. I felt like such an idiot.

I had no way to pay for it, at the time. So the owner says, "tell you what, If you cut the grass and clean the property on the weekend, I will pay you 10$ hourly until you pay it off, then I will pay you cash.

Anyhow, I ended up being senior 'employee' and worked there for 5 years before my other half took very ill.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

MrogersNhood (09-21-2019),Rickity Plumber (09-14-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Everything looks good and solid but I'd feel more comfy with a person who knows more than I, looking over it first, before I fire it.

I have drawn it back, several times.

Nothing to mess with.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thanks
    Time to get much more serious.

I have been watching the deer, they are starting into their fall habits, with the usual crazy changes thrown in.

Funny how every year, the time to put out the game cameras, and prep sneaks up on me.

I cleaned/prepped the small caliber weapons tonight. We had a family 22 shoot this last weekend, tons of fun with about half of a 500 round pack shot out. Now we need some early squirrel hunting to sharpen the senses.

Archery practice not coming along as easily as my younger years. I need to double down on my efforts.

Thanks
    Great practice with 243 bolt gun and the muzzleloader this afternoon. One of the kids figured out that shooting is fun.

While expensive, shooting the 243 is a total hoot.

On the archery front, I have the old compound dialed in. I'm almost ready.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Time to get much more serious.

I have been watching the deer, they are starting into their fall habits, with the usual crazy changes thrown in.

Funny how every year, the time to put out the game cameras, and prep sneaks up on me.

I cleaned/prepped the small caliber weapons tonight. We had a family 22 shoot this last weekend, tons of fun with about half of a 500 round pack shot out. Now we need some early squirrel hunting to sharpen the senses.

Archery practice not coming along as easily as my younger years. I need to double down on my efforts.
    My ex father in law got me started hunting with him back in about 1972 or 73 out in a squirrel lot way out in extreme NW Ohio near Pioneer.

I had a Marlin .22 autoloader that maybe cost me $60 new. I put on a cheap scope and I was ready. The squirrel lot was about a 5 acre wooded lot surrounded by the usual corn/soybean/sugar beet fields. The fox squirrels were huge but were elusive in the heavily wooded lot. One time I got three of them that were in a tree right over my head. The debris was falling on me and all around me from their antics.

I had to shoot pretty much straight up to get them. My best squirrel day ever! 3 large fox squirrels is a goof haul for a newb. Was not long after that when I purchased my Ruger 1022 and a decent low power scope.

My father in law was a great mentor and sportsman. I cherish our times we had together in the woods. He and I would eventually camp in Michigan and in Pennsylvania hunting whitetails.

His son wanted nothing to do with guns nor hunting. He was different for sure. But that is okay because I am the one that benefited from the mentoring and teachings of a true sportsman.
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 09-14-2019 at 06:13 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (09-20-2019),MrogersNhood (09-21-2019),Physics Hunter (09-20-2019)

Thanks
    Sharpening broadheads this eve.

Next up is washing the clothes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    My ex father in law got me started hunting with him back in about 1972 or 73 out in a squirrel lot way out in extreme NW Ohio near Pioneer.

I had a Marlin .22 autoloader that maybe cost me $60 new. I put on a cheap scope and I was ready. The squirrel lot was about a 5 acre wooded lot surrounded by the usual corn/soybean/sugar beet fields. The fox squirrels were huge but were elusive in the heavily wooded lot. One time I got three of them that were in a tree right over my head. The debris was falling on me and all around me from their antics.

I had to shoot pretty much straight up to get them. My best squirrel day ever! 3 large fox squirrels is a goof haul for a newb. Was not long after that when I purchased my Ruger 1022 and a decent low power scope.

My father in law was a great mentor and sportsman. I cherish our times we had together in the woods. He and I would eventually camp in Michigan and in Pennsylvania hunting whitetails.

His son wanted nothing to do with guns nor hunting. He was different for sure. But that is okay because I am the one that benefited from the mentoring and teachings of a true sportsman.
    Traditions are passed down to the willing and enthusiastic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (09-20-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Sharpening broadheads this eve.

Next up is washing the clothes.
    Riches to rags . . .

Thanks
    Finally got the 20 year old Mathews shooting accurately with both field points and practice broadheads at both 20 and 35 yards.

This is good.

Thread Information