User Tag List

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Season V5.0

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Amazing day. Out for a hunt with just my son. We prepped and got ready to go, when we got to the field, we split up. I headed toward my chosen stand, and he toward his about 3/4 mile apart. I stopped and watched him disappear into the treeline.

Neither of us got a shot, but we got back and shared stories. I think that I actually did it, I raised a hunter.
    One of those Dad days to remember.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (Yesterday),Rickity Plumber (10-26-2019),spamking (10-21-2019)

Thanks
    Well heck! I was walking out with a crossbow, just note that I am a real archer and hate crossbows, sometimes crossbows range and stealth make them useful.

100 yards out from camp on a 1/2 mile hike to a stand, I see a deer standing off my path. So, despite my disbelief in stalking, I walked a 75 yard, 180deg circle around the deer and sure as heck, it was still standing there.

I shot and it sounded like a bone hit. I waited 15 minutes. First 100 yards no blood. When it went into the hills, it started bleeding. I blood trailed it in the dark for 3 hours until the trail went cold.

Damn near was the death of me.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (10-26-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    Well heck! I was walking out with a crossbow, just note that I am a real archer and hate crossbows, sometimes crossbows range and stealth make them useful.

100 yards out from camp on a 1/2 mile hike to a stand, I see a deer standing off my path. So, despite my disbelief in stalking, I walked a 75 yard, 180deg circle around the deer and sure as heck, it was still standing there.

I shot and it sounded like a bone hit. I waited 15 minutes. First 100 yards no blood. When it went into the hills, it started bleeding. I blood trailed it in the dark for 3 hours until the trail went cold.

Damn near was the death of me.
    Turns out that a couple days later, the little spike crossed my trail cam with a slight limp. I will see him later in the season.

Thanks
    It has come time to pull the smoke pole (muzzleloader) out of the locker and take her afield. Note that I am such a cheap guy that I am still hunting with a ML that cost less than a sports car tire.

So, over the weekend, I slip into the woods to a ground stand that has been perennially solid with shooting lanes from 20yds-120yds.

The squirrels had a party around me, leading me to report to the family that the theme song for the day was:
    (Think Motley Crew) SQUIRRELS, SQUIRRELS SQUIRRELS!

I traded chips in the trailcams on the way out, and it turns out that I missed a nice buck by 20 mins.

That's why we call it hunting.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    and one blue heron

What did a graceful Blue Heron ever do to you?

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Smoked a doe Sunday morning with a new to me crossbow. 20 yrds, squeeze one off, 140lbs of piled up deer 60 yrds later.

First one in about 20 years or so. forgot how fun it is to hunt with other people

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalman For This Useful Post:

Physics Hunter (Yesterday),Rickity Plumber (11-04-2019)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Looks like this upcoming weekend is the start of our gun hunting season here in the Commonwealth.

Since I harvested one last week, I think I will take the pistol only with me.

"what kinda pistol ya shootin MM??? Well, I'm glad yall asked, I'm takin' my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 w/ a 2x Leupold. It's a pie plater at 100 all day long. Should be fun. Hopefully I can hear next week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to metalman For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Looks like this upcoming weekend is the start of our gun hunting season here in the Commonwealth.

Since I harvested one last week, I think I will take the pistol only with me.

"what kinda pistol ya shootin MM??? Well, I'm glad yall asked, I'm takin' my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 w/ a 2x Leupold. It's a pie plater at 100 all day long. Should be fun. Hopefully I can hear next week.
    Congrats on the Doe! Getting meat in the freezer does change one's hunting priorities, I have yet to experience that this year.

I get to move to centerfire next week, should be fun.

Thanks
    As posted elsewhere:

With my not so nice $125 ML, I went afield a few days ago. I hiked up-mountain where I have this ground stand spot that is in a ditch on a ridge. I got to the stand, set up a seat, put on my cold weather gear... I looked up and there was a spike buck standing 113 yards out.
    Then in walks this whitetail buck that looks the size of a small elk.
    I was not even zipped up, sitting, or even have my gloves on.
    I had them both dead to rights for 20 minutes, one hitch, they were in a direct line line with the one and only house anywhere near me. It was about a 25deg down angle into a saddle, but safety is everything.
    I waited until things were good and dark and snuck out with a red light, hoping not to spook out the buck.
    Later I picked up the local trail cam and there he was in all his 10pt glory. Largest whitetail I have ever seen in that area.
    I hope to see him again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    I still shoot XX75's for my traditional bows.

I do similar on broadheads. I have hunting only versions of arrow/broadhead combos. However, I shoot Muzzy and they come with practice broadheads that are completely dull.

O wow! You never heard of Carbon Fiber?

I shot them scuds back in the day. I got a bunch of them at this place that was going out of business. To this day, my arrows are 615 grains.

Back in the day, I could put 3 of them into a small coffee cup at 35 yards. I had these 8-sided solid broadheads. Razorback, I think?
    Last edited by MrogersNhood; Yesterday at 03:08 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MrogersNhood For This Useful Post:

Thread Information