User Tag List

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Season V5.0

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Have you ever looked in Pawn shops for gear?

If I was perhaps 20 years younger, I might look into a modern bow. Today though, not so much.

I have the awesome memories and I can still read your great posts and others about hunting. I have been reading Outdoor life and Field & Stream since my school days. I still read the stories from you and others with as much passion as I did back then.

Continue as you always have!
    The guy that works with me's dad talking me into getting a more modern bow. We were picking up some gear and he was out there shooting in the yard and called me over.

"Shoot this 1 time", he said. It was about 20 yards. It was so easy to pull back and I nailed it twice.

He explained to me how the newer ones can have the same or better speed with less draw weight .
    Last edited by MrogersNhood; 11-14-2019 at 12:08 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrogersNhood For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (11-14-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Have you ever looked in Pawn shops for gear?

If I was perhaps 20 years younger, I might look into a modern bow. Today though, not so much.

I have the awesome memories and I can still read your great posts and others about hunting. I have been reading Outdoor life and Field & Stream since my school days. I still read the stories from you and others with as much passion as I did back then.

Continue as you always have!
    Yeah, you can find fairly recent bows on CraigsList and such. If I did buy one, I would take it to a good bow shop to check it for problems, especially with the string/cables, limbs, and cams.

I had two compound bows blow up in my hand in one season a couple years back. Both managed to slit my bow-hand wrist enough to cause bleeding wounds, one particularly bad.

And continue to enjoy. Everywhere I have started a Hunting Season thread, I have heard such feedback. It takes me back in time to sitting around, as a boy, and listening to the men in hunting camp tell stories.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (11-15-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrogersNhood View Post
    The guy that works with me's dad talking me into getting a more modern bow. We were picking up some gear and he was out there shooting in the yard and called me over.

"Shoot this 1 time", he said. It was about 20 yards. It was so easy to pull back and I nailed it twice.

He explained to me how the newer ones can have the same or better speed with less draw weight .
    Yep, and sights and releases change the whole art of shooting.
    I still shoot Traditional bows, some that I make myself, but I hunt with fairly modern compound bows.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    Ok, update from saturday. Shot a small wormy 5 pointer that needed to be culled. Once again, the .44 did the job with little effort.

That makes 3. 1 with crossbow, 2 with the .44.

Now, this weekend I may go again. This time its the GP100 .357's chance to bag something.

50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    I am an avid bowhunter, mostly hunting Deer with it. As Hunting Season approaches I ramp up my physical training and archery shooting. This is getting more difficult each year as I age.

I am shooting the 50# recurve with ease, the 64# old Mathews MQ (yes I know it's 20 years old...) repeatably well, but only a couple dozen arrows per session before it becomes challenging.
    I have not moved to the way more difficult Mathews Z7 or my 65# home made short-longbow but I have more than a month to ramp it up.

Next I have to get the kids rifle shooting tuned up...
    i am along time hunter but far from a die hard in my old age. Never really bow hunted though. The boys do. It must be a rush though.

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    weekend update: Nasty, rainy day saturday. Still went, packing the GP100 .357 this time.

Rain and low clouds clear about 9:30. Yearling doe shows up at the feeder about 9:45. Free hand shot about 22 yards to my right and down she goes.

That makes 4 for the season. I am done. Wish my ears would quit ringing. Never again with that pistol without hearing protection.

I must say that it was an enjoyable experience since my 20+ year hiatus.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to metalman For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    i am along time hunter but far from a die hard in my old age. Never really bow hunted though. The boys do. It must be a rush though.
    I have killed deer at ranges from 5 to 35 yards with a bow. Imagine being able to get within less than 20 yards of a wild deer, draw a bow and dispatch it. Oh yeah, it is a rush like no other.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    weekend update: Nasty, rainy day saturday. Still went, packing the GP100 .357 this time.

Rain and low clouds clear about 9:30. Yearling doe shows up at the feeder about 9:45. Free hand shot about 22 yards to my right and down she goes.

That makes 4 for the season. I am done. Wish my ears would quit ringing. Never again with that pistol without hearing protection.

I must say that it was an enjoyable experience since my 20+ year hiatus.
    Congrats!

That's a freezer full of food.

Thanks
    It's been a dry season.

Opportunity to drop in on a notch archery season tomorrow.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    And continue to enjoy. Everywhere I have started a Hunting Season thread, I have heard such feedback. It takes me back in time to sitting around, as a boy, and listening to the men in hunting camp tell stories.

Some of the best times in my life ever were sitting around the campfires in the evenings while on deer hunting trip to north central Pennsylvania and northern Michigan.

Cold? Yeah but a nice fire in the midst of our group were more than plenty to keep us all toasty.

Hearing the stories from the older, more experienced members (my ex father in law) were the best parts.

Whenever I think back on my life and wish I could have "done this" or "done that", I always say that I would have loved to live in a cabin in the north woods somewhere. I have had this dream ever since I was a young boy. Somewhere I took a wrong turn.

My ex father in law would tell stories of his dad when he was a novice. I am thinking the year would be like the late 1940's and early 1950's from my F-I-L 's perspective.

What I wouldn't give to make one more hike up that mountain at 3:00AM and crack that cold beer after arriving at your at your stand 3 hours later. Nothing has ever tasted any better than that one beer you brought in your pack to reward yourself for that three hour hike.

My hips would start aching before I left the campsite today.

Thread Information