User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charter Arms .44 Special Bull Dog Classic Close-up

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrogersNhood View Post
    Man, I got told this story over the holiday that makes me think nothing is adequate.

I used to carry some kinda Ruger Double-action .357 for bear, after hearing that story, I'm not too confidant.

Is there a Lapua pistol?

I can't seem to find anything about it on the web. I guess this bear had about 8 old .308 bullets around his face and remains of 1/2 dozen humans in his stomach.
    hornady makes ammo that gives a 454 from a 2 1/4 " barrel half a chance vs a grizz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jirqoadai For This Useful Post:

MrogersNhood (07-20-2019)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    hornady makes ammo that gives a 454 from a 2 1/4 " barrel half a chance vs a grizz

I'm thinking there's really not much chance if they're out to get ya. I've encountered some, but not like that, obviously.

The .357 I had had a 6" barrel. When in the woods, I'd want the longest barrel I could wield and the baddest cartridges it will shoot.

I'm not really a pistol man, but I think I'd take .44 black powder before a 4" .38 special.

I'm not buying any more pistols.
    Last edited by MrogersNhood; 07-20-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    I'm thinking there's really not much chance if they're out to get ya. I've encountered some, but not like that, obviously.

The .357 I had had a 6" barrel. When in the woods, I'd want the longest barrel I could wield and the baddest cartridges it will shoot.

I'm not really a pistol man, but I think I'd take .44 black powder before a 4" .38 special.

I'm not buying any more pistols.
    i have a Rossi. paid 125 for it. no rust.
    make yours a carbine. mines too long for anything closer than 25 yards. though if i drew it and then the bear got that close, yes id empty that before taking either of the two others.
    sounds stupid to have three, but what happens should you meet a 600 pound blackbear and his intentions are not clear? or a moose?

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    I can download my 44 Mag. You can't upload 44 spec

6. The Following User Says Thank You to someguy For This Useful Post:

WildRose (07-22-2019)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    i have a Rossi. paid 125 for it. no rust.
    make yours a carbine. mines too long for anything closer than 25 yards. though if i drew it and then the bear got that close, yes id empty that before taking either of the two others.
    sounds stupid to have three, but what happens should you meet a 600 pound blackbear and his intentions are not clear? or a moose?

I'd only carry one with me. My .44 has a 12-inch barrel. Approx. 9mm ballistics.

Thanks
    I'd only carry one with me. My .44 has a 12-inch barrel. Approx. 9mm ballistics.
    i saw on this site where you need to come close to 2100fp. im at over 1900. if im lucky, ill get four or five center between his front legs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jirqoadai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    if its a moose, i will treat it akin to a water buffalo. waitll it drops its antlers to but me. then center crown it

Up - Down - Left - Right V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran

Thanks
    Man, I got told this story over the holiday that makes me think nothing is adequate.

I used to carry some kinda Ruger Double-action .357 for bear, after hearing that story, I'm not too confidant.

Is there a Lapua pistol?

I can't seem to find anything about it on the web. I guess this bear had about 8 old .308 bullets around his face and remains of 1/2 dozen humans in his stomach.

You need energy for penetration. Bears .....as I understand have a thick coat. The coat would absorb most the energy of the bullet.

As far as bears go, if it is on all fours coming at you - I would go for the head. If it was standing up.......I would go for the neck = Spinal cord and major blood vessels. And below the head......it is the most open. You could shoot the pelvic girdle......where all the blood vessels meet. I am no vetenerian......but on the human body the pelvic girdle contains a swarm of blood vessels, and its where all the blood vessels in the body meet.

Numerous scenerios as to shooting a bear. I would prefer an 4" .44 mag revolver for dangerous game.......or a 10 MM Auto. If mountain lions and big cats was a concern......I would want the 10 MM auto loaded with 180 solids and hollowpoints. One hollow point - one solid - one hollowpoint - one solid......and so on.

If it was me and a bear I would settle for just shooting the thing twice. Mountain lion.....shoot and kill it, AND THEN walk up and empty the mag in it ....just to be sure. I would rather face a bear, than a Mountain Lion any day......but that it just me.

Myself.....I pick the firearm and ammo for the purpose / job. Coincidenly, on a Military site I read ( I am not a member of - like Glock forums / talk.....I just read them ) ......Special Forces folks teach the same thing ---- Modify your " Kit " to the task / mission.

A .44 Special is in a sense a .45 ACP --- 230 grain bullet. It is slow ( 45 ACP... about 850 FPS out of a four inch commander model ), powerful, and dumps energy quick. The 45 ACP 185 grain bullet is fast......over 1000 feet per second ------ and is optimal for smacking threats at 70 yards.

357 Jacketed hollowpoints for expansion.......357 Mag cast bullets for penetration.....like in bear country. Im old enough to remember Elmer Keith.....and I have read some of his books ------ and growing up in in the 1970s, his articles in gun magazines. Elmer Jordan was a huge 44 fan......but praised the 357 with the right load. Another good author on the .357 Mag......is Bill Jordan ----- the father of the Smith & Wesson.

QUOTE = "In the last week in July, 2016, Phil Shoemaker had use a 9mm pistol to kill a grizzly that was threatening his clients and himself. It worked."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...QTFgfUs11Kk6Kb

Alaska Man Kills Charging Brown Bear with a 9mm Pistol

Joe :
    Last edited by Joe Hallenbeck; 07-20-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    "Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another."

Plato, Philosopher

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Hallenbeck For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    The stainless version.
    20190723_202649.jpg

Thread Information