User Tag List

Thread: Harley-Davidsonís 2 Electric Concept Bikes Are Ready And Riding

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 79.0%

Thanks

Harley-Davidsonís 2 Electric Concept Bikes Are Ready And Riding

Harley-Davidsonís 2 Electric Concept Bikes Are Ready And Riding

Riding videos show Harleyís lightweight concept bikes are potentially ready for prime time

By Andrew Cherney
    May 29, 2019
    image: https://www.cyclevolta.com/resizer/2...TEAEGQU4OE.jpg
    Underwhelming in photos, but keep scrolling for the video. Pretty cool.Courtesy of Harley-Davidson
    All the buzz of late has been on the bold new LiveWire, but what if weíre missing the forest for the trees? What if LiveWire is a smokescreen? Thereís huge value in producing a striking high-tech electric motorcycle as a statement model, but letís consider who this bike is for. It just doesnít feel like a viable option for younger Gen X or Gen Y types with high debt-to-income ratios and, form-wise, feels too intimidating for beginning riders. On that front, the two smaller concept vehicles H-D unveiled recently deserve a closer look.

Truthfully, we weren't all that moved when we first saw photos of the concept bikes from the CES show. Many concepts simply don't make it to the production line, and the low-riding scooter in particular just didn't seem fully formed. The ultra-lightweight version struck us as just a mountain bike without pedals. Which is actually a smart move; Ducati's MIGG-RR electric mountain bike will soon be in dealers, Yamaha has had power-assist bikes available for years, and then there's the hybrid Kalk&. The field is ripe with possibilities.

The two new H-D concepts made a working appearance at the X Games in Aspen last week so we took a closer look. And what a difference it is to see riding videos rather than static studio shots. Harley plunked X Games host Jack Mitrani onto the minimal, boxy scooter and unleashed him onto the streets of downtown Aspen for a first-ever ride on the thing. Check it out here:

In short, this electric looks and rides way cooler in the video than the photos suggest, even if Mitrani comes across as an adrenaline-pumped H-D spokesman; you get a clearer sense of scale and a better idea of what these things are meant to do. Of course they are prototypes, but itís instructive to see the belt drive and disc brakes in action as well as the bikeís ability to sneak around in tight places, crucial for the growing urban rider population H-D is looking to tap into. With no clutch, light weight, and, according to Harley, ďremovable, single-hand-carry battery packs,Ē the bike may have big appeal in the global markets H-D is looking to break into. They might have to work on sealing up that open belt drive, though.

image: https://www.cyclevolta.com/resizer/d...VT27GO76VI.jpg
    Hey, man, whereís my V-twin? This Harley lightweight electric concept melds the best of mountain bike and motorcycle worlds.Courtesy of Harley-Davidson
    Meanwhile the mountain-bike-type concept was put through its paces by Australian freestyle motocrosser Jacko Strong, who hooned it around like a proper madman on the snowy Aspen slopes. Again, the combination of parts and technology is borrowed from both the motorcycle and bicycle worlds, with a belt drive, electric motor, and premium suspension working in concert with the lightweight frame, slim form factor, and (robust) wheels of a mountain bike. It also brings what looks like a massively painful seat with a fairly stratospheric height.

In the end, the hope is that these concept machines remove some of the barriers to motorcycling and attract new riders. You wouldnít need a motorcycle license to operate them, and with a lower weight and more accessible form, the ride is easier and the learning curve reduced. And if they come with a removable battery that can be recharged with a household outlet, thatís icing on the cake. Whether they become production models is unclear, though Harley did promise that future models would carry prices as low as ďa few thousand dollars,Ē which might make all the difference.

Read more at Harley-Davidson’s 2 Electric Concept Bikes Are Ready And Riding | Cycle World
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ó Samuel Adams

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (07-18-2019)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Strap one of these to it just add batteries and impress your friends.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-18-2019),Daily Bread (07-18-2019),darroll (07-18-2019)

Venator Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    yeah, no.

i'd run a rat bike before i bought into that bullshit.

Μολών λαβέ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-18-2019),Daily Bread (07-18-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 79.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    yeah, no.

i'd run a rat bike before i bought into that bullshit.

The electric MTB has a great use. SF paratroopers drop in deep and fast and move silent over many miles fast. Hit and ride.

Rat bikes are cool. The yuppie show bikes killed the core Harley biker. Give me a ‘76 KZ750 or a ‘84 Magna 45 or 65 any day.

Saw a mid ‘80’s Turbo Virago not too long ago. Perfect showroom floor condition. You used to find ones laid down once, for cheap, from the widows.

@Lone Gunman stealth bikes at the end of video.

Last edited by Big Dummy; 07-18-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ó Samuel Adams

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (07-18-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    I owned a secondhand Zero for a time - the basic concept is valid. Electric CARS are silly; but an electric CYCLE can get a lot done with little weight.

But I buy nothing from the Motor-CloZ Botique. I know the H-D fans are going to be all over me...but in my opinion, Harley discredited itself 40 years ago, when it opted to become a cult-symbol and status toy instead of moving with the times to become a serious modern motorcycle company. They should have been building bikes like the Virago - shaft drive, balanced engines, internal transmissions - back in the 1980s. They should have been designing alternate engines - Honda, which had only its single and then a bunch of twins, built up into V-twins, V-4s, flat fours and sixes. Harley, better capitalized at the time, could have done the same.

They chose not to. They chose to market their branded crap in their botique-like dealerships.

Now, their core constituency is dying off. They don't have an answer because they never considered that would happen. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki all did consider it, and brought out a bunch of entry-level machines for new riders. They cost around $5k - which would have been around $1500 back in the mid-1980s. Right in line with what entry-level bikes cost then, and with higher quality.

Again, Harley missed it. A 23-year-old drummer with a band, is not going to have $27k for one of those electric toys.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-19-2019),Kodiak (07-18-2019),Lone Gunman (07-18-2019)

Venator Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    but in my opinion, Harley discredited itself 40 years ago, when it opted to become a cult-symbol and status toy instead of moving with the times to become a serious modern motorcycle company.

totally agree.
    Μολών λαβέ

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-19-2019),Kodiak (07-18-2019)

Thread Information