Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Only in America!

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Unlike Walmart right?
    walmart is small business supported? try chink supported for walmart. the far majority of products you buy at amazon are made by just one company or small pop shop who does nothing else.

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    I cancelled my Prime membership, it's like a fishing license, if you only use it once or twice a year, what's the point?
    I never got it.

I, too, only use Amazon a couple of times a year. The whole system creeps me out...and when I'm buying something, I like to LOOK at it, when I buy.

I've had to return stuff to Amazon. They have a system, and it does work, but it's a royal PITA. Rather I'd just like to see the stuff on the shelf, and KNOW it's going to work for me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

2cent (07-17-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-17-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    walmart is small business supported? try chink supported for walmart. the far majority of products you buy at amazon are made by just one company or small pop shop who does nothing else.
    Ah nooooo. Walmart destroyed the way we used shop and purchase items. They destroyed small businesses by demanding HOW much to sell to them for.

They also destroyed the small business that were everywhere. No one goes to the downtown areas to shop anymore. Hence small town downtown areas fell to shambles.

I could go on but I tire of you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

justapirate (07-17-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Ah nooooo. Walmart destroyed the way we used shop and purchase items. They destroyed small businesses by demanding HOW much to sell to them for.

They also destroyed the small business that were everywhere. No one goes to the downtown areas to shop anymore. Hence small town downtown areas fell to shambles.

and walmart is exactly how alike to amazon?

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    2. I've got new car fever & I've had it for about 6 months. I'm passed the "gotta have it stage" & slowly reason is taking over. I want one with all the new fangled electronic stuff they have on them now. But do I need it, not really. Our car is in great shape & has low miles on it. I think that I'm slowly getting over the "fever". Oh & it doesn't help that I'm taking a trip in a couple of days & my wife suggested that on the way back I stop & look at what I kind of want in a dealership about an hour from here. I doubt that I will do it.
    I hear ya, there.

It's an age thing. I used to be a gearhead - wanted the sport-performance car. My first car being a Beetle (original, a 1972 Super) I gravitated towards light and lithe and quick-on-the-feet. When five-speeds became ubiquitous, I rejoiced.

But then, the heavy safety gear - and the universality of stuff like power steering, which I had always avoided. It deadens road feel and it adds complexity. Last car I had without power steering was a Geo Metro - you laugh; but under that cheap economy-car skin, it had the heart of a road-racer. You didn't drive that - you put it on, like a jet-pack.

But now EVERY car has power steering, power brakes, and almost all of them have automatics. Ten years ago I despaired; but now, I really don't care. The Asians have become the leaders of the industry - and in fact Japan is losing it, the real lead now is with the Koreans.

They make cars as APPLIANCES. Well-built; well-engineered...but as much fun as your Maytag washer. Well...so be it. I now have a Kia Soul, which is soul-less - but it's the last car I'll buy. It will get me from Point A to Point B, and cheaply. Adjusting for inflation, that thing is cheaper than the Chevette I bought, new, in 1978. And it's twice the car - even if it's less fun-to-drive than the Chevette, if you can believe that.

I'm okay with it. Age has shifted perspectives...

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    It was the shopping mall, not Wal-Mart, that killed downtown shopping. When Wal-Mart opened a super center here, a McDonald's went in, and a gas station (where you don't have to give up your first-born to pump your gas), a strip-mall opened across the street, w/a new road built going up behind it, that has several businesses on it, as well.
    The only thing that closed was ALCO - the store that has everything you don't need. (We called it ALPO.)
    Last edited by 2cent; 07-17-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

darroll (07-17-2019),JustPassinThru (07-17-2019),Retiredat50 (07-17-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks

You called it on that one. Our town is nowhere near what it was before Walmart graced us with its presence.
    Personal Stats

Age- Too old to do what I remember I could do
    Race- Used to
    Sex- Well, yeah, whenever I can
    Religion- Pastafarian, non-practicing
    Political preference- Amused. Just plain amused
    Why I don't post more- Too busy shaking my head and face palming

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justapirate For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (07-17-2019),Rickity Plumber (07-17-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    White privilege 'hood I take it?

Yeah, me too. Here in Sun City Center, it's nothing but q-tips and golf carts. Not a BLM member to be found.
    Oh yeah. I would not have bought a house in a neighborhood that was anything other than predominantly white. I have lived in areas that were mostly black/Hispanic and no thanks.

There were a couple of white-trash families renting a couple of houses, but as weekly rentals exploded, those were converted and now it is just vacationers in them.

This neighborhood is super slow and quiet, the only sounds are from lawn equipment. And that is just the way I like it.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 07-17-2019 at 05:57 PM.

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    It was the shopping mall, not Wal-Mart, that killed downtown shopping. When Wal-Mart opened a super center here, a McDonald's went in, and a gas station (where you don't have to give up your first-born to pump your gas), a strip-mall opened across the street, w/a new road built going up behind it, that has several businesses on it, as well.
    The only thing that closed was ALCO - the store that has everything you don't need. (We called it ALPO.)
    There are good and bad aspects of both Walmart and Amazon. For a lot of small businesses, Amazon is the only way they could really stay in business, and yet Amazon does almost nothing for local communities.

Walmart stimulates local areas by bringing in traffic that will then buy gas, eat at restaurants and provide business to other local service-based businesses. But, Walmart does hurt any business in the area that is selling food and/or goods.

Of course both Walmart and Amazon are in a race to automate as much of their businesses as they can. Amazon is going with robots and drones and Walmart will soon follow, while Walmart is redesigning their store to almost no checkout option other than self-checkout.

Either way this was bound to happen, it is just that Walmart and Amazon were the early inovators and made the right decisions.

VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    We thought that Wal-Mart would kill our local favorite store.
    We shopped at WalMart and they were forever out of stuff we went in there to buy.
    We ended up back at our favorite store that has what we shop for.

Amazon what a joke.
    I ordered a package of dry rare beans. I received the shipment. Got another. Notified Amazon, they then sent me another package. I kept them and my next order (A memory device) was one short. I notified them and never heard from them again. They have not heard from me either.
    Then I went and ordered another SD card from New Egg. I typed in my password and they didn't know me. I went with new account and they would mess up the amount (One). Each time that i would correct their order the order would double. Every so often I get an advertisment about a SD card sale...
    Last edited by darroll; 07-17-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Thread Information