User Tag List

Thread: Fla. sued over sanctuary policy ban

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks

Fla. sued over sanctuary policy ban

The new law forces local law enforcement agencies to cooperate with federal immigration officials
    Today at 11:16 AM

By Adriana Gomez
    Associated Press

MIAMI The city of South Miami and a coalition of immigrant advocates sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday over a new law that forces local law enforcement agencies to cooperate with federal immigration officials.

The lawsuit filed by lawyers with the Southern Poverty Law Center says the new law will erode trust in law enforcement and lead to racial profiling. It says brown and black people will be subject to harassment by law enforcement because they might be perceived as foreigners.

DeSantis signed the bill into law last month to ban "sanctuary" polices.

The new law prohibits local governments from enacting polices that protect immigrants in the country illegally from deportation. It requires law enforcement officers to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers for immigrants in the country illegally who are arrested or convicted of a crime. It exempts crime victims and witnesses.

Opponents have said the law would cause people to be deported for minor offenses like traffic infractions.

DeSantis has a close relationship with President Donald Trump, who made illegal immigration a top priority. Trump helped DeSantis win the GOP primary last year and campaigned for DeSantis in the general election. DeSantis pushed the Legislature to pass the bill. Republican Sen. Joe Gruters, who also chairs the Republican Party of Florida, sponsored the bill and repeatedly argued it was simply about following the rule of law.

The lawsuit says some victims of domestic abuse, rape and human trafficking won't report the crimes out of fear of being deported.

Copyright Associated Press.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. Robert Heinlein

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (07-16-2019),NORAD (07-18-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    I for one, do not give a rat's ass if someone is deported because of a minor traffic infraction IF THE ASSWIPE IS AN ILLEGAL!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-16-2019),Hillofbeans (07-16-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    I for one, do not give a rat's ass if someone is deported because of a minor traffic infraction IF THE ASSWIPE IS AN ILLEGAL!
    Yep.
    Getting caught for a lesser crime does not negate(is dat racist) the greater crime.

If you catch a criminal for speeding and he's wanted for murder, do you give him a pass?

And that's not a strawman argument or far-fetched, because a large percentage of central American illegals are criminals and MS-13 miscreants who have no value for human life of their countrymen, let alone a gringo.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),Rickity Plumber (07-17-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Let me see if I understand this. Cities now demand the RIGHT to NOT COMPLY with laws?

So they're taking their lawlessness into a court of law. What's wrong with this picture?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-16-2019),Hillofbeans (07-16-2019),Rickity Plumber (07-17-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    So ordering local law enforcement to cooperate with federal law enforcement erodes the trust in law enforcement.

What kind of drugs are they using at the Southern Poverty Law Center, and why isn't the DEA raiding their offices?
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DLLS For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-16-2019),Hillofbeans (07-16-2019)

Thread Information