Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Officials Upset Over Conversion Kits Going Against Spirit Of The Law

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks

NZ Officials Upset Over Conversion Kits Going Against Spirit Of The Law

Posted July 11, 2019 by Tom Knighton

When legislators in any country create a law, it behooves them to understand that the law will only be followed so far. What I mean is that those who are going to follow it can only be expected to adhere to the letter of the law as written, not necessarily to what lawmakers wanted when they crafted that bit of legislation.

At least, thats how most Americans look at it.
    Down in New Zealand, some officials appear to be rather upset. It seems that a conversion kit that will turn an AR-15 into a pump-action rifle allows people to hold onto their guns rather than turn them it. For the officials, the problem is that this allows people to skirt the spirit of the law.

There are concerns modifications to guns to comply with new firearms laws could be easily reversed.
    Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US.
    Gun Control NZ co-founder Nik Green says allowing the modification kit would render the new laws pointless.

Any conversion isnt permanent, so you could quite easily switch it back to being a semi-automatic It doesnt take these dangerous guns off the streets.
    A police spokesperson said they are still looking into the feasibility of modifying AR15 semi-automatics.
    The Police Commissioner will publish the manner and standard required for the safe and permanent modification of these and any other firearms.
    A process for how modifications can be carried out and a list of approved gunsmiths to do the modifications will be published on the police website soon.
    Green says people need to take the moral high-ground, with conversion kits not in the spirit of the law.

Oh cry me a river.

People who did nothing wrong are being punished by having their rifles banned, and people are whining because they might, theoretically, convert their rifle into a model that would adhere to the new law and still be able to convert it back?

Son, anyone likely to be a problem isnt going to convert their rifle at all, most likely. If they do, theyd be breaking the law by doing so, which clearly means the law isnt actually accomplishing anything.

What folks in New Zealand forget is that its possible to build an AR-15 from scratch if you have the know-how. If youre going to be that worried about what someone might do, you might as well ban blocks of aluminum and hand files (no, I wouldnt want to build an AR-15 that way, but it can be done).

The truth of the matter is that NZ gun owners have no obligation to adhere to the spirit of any law. The law betrayed them. The government latched onto a horrific event and used it as a pretext to punish them for something they didnt do. If the law leaves a loophole so they dont have to dispose of the property they purchased lawfully, why wouldnt they take advantage of it?

Of course, there are also going to be a lot of people who take the cold, dead hands approach, and I cant say that I blame them either.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. Robert Heinlein

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

darroll (07-16-2019),Knightkore (07-16-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-18-2019),NORAD (07-17-2019),Rutabaga (07-16-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    So, people complying with a law as written are the problem?

I wonder how many have lost theirs in canoe accidents?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),darroll (07-16-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-16-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-18-2019),NORAD (07-17-2019),Rickity Plumber (07-16-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US.

thats a bold faced lie.
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-16-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-18-2019),NORAD (07-17-2019),riderboy (07-17-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    So, people complying with a law as written are the problem?

I wonder how many have lost theirs in canoe accidents?
    So many ways to lose things from a boat....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riderboy For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-18-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-18-2019),MedicineBow (07-17-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post

thats a bold faced lie.
    Shame on you! Your duty, in the spirit of the law is to do and believe everything you're told. If you appear to be performing as a good little minion, we may even give you legal marijuana.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to someguy For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-18-2019),JustPassinThru (07-17-2019),Rutabaga (07-17-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    They want to disarm the Maoris so they can subjugate them...
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-18-2019)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    What about Rimfire (22lr) conversion kits

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    What about Rimfire (22lr) conversion kits
    Seems they learned from California. Where NZ didn’t leave room for the bullet button fiasco that had to be rectified with registration years later. California from the beginning made it clear, if you could swap a 5.56 bolt back in, it did not count as a permanent conversion. The gun was an assault weapon in the eyes of the law.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. Robert Heinlein

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    Seems they learned from California. Where NZ didn’t leave room for the bullet button fiasco that had to be rectified with registration years later. California from the beginning made it clear, if you could swap a 5.56 bolt back in, it did not count as a permanent conversion. The gun was an assault weapon in the eyes of the law.
    Incorrect (Rimfire Conversions allow Californians to have all Evil Features including shorter OAL and collapsible Stock and Flash Hider …)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    Incorrect (Rimfire Conversions allow Californians to have all Evil Features including shorter OAL and collapsible Stock and Flash Hider …)
    Nope. Not conversions. Only dedicated Rimfire uppers can have evil features. If a 5.56 bolt can fit, it is an assault weapon.
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 07-18-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Thread Information