User Tag List

Thread: Fake Hurricane News

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks

Fake Hurricane News

I debated where to put this and decided in Media but it's bigger than that.

"There will be no media awards for Al Roker or the Washington Post in recognition of their coverage of Hurricane Barry. At least if the people living in New Orleans have a say in the matter. The weekend weather event, fortunately, was nowhere nearly as bad as was predicted in some media accounts. Thatís a good thing."
    https://hotair.com/archives/karen-to...real-disaster/

Every spring, when I lived in Colorado, we knew it was spring when the media started panicking about flooding. Then we knew summer was on us when the media was telling us the drought had hit. Sadly, the media doesn't see their job as reporting but rather as making things happen such as evacuations and electing the president they want.

"In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrinaís arrival, it was not the hurricane, it was the levees that caused the flooding. The author of the article above noted that both CBS and CNN warned that Barry could be a bigger rain event than Katrina."

But, a bigger question is why do so many people enjoy the hysteria? I think it's because fear is the dominant emotion and the hysteria gives credibility to what is essentially nonsense. It seems to justify your paranoia.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (07-16-2019),Retiredat50 (07-16-2019),ruthless terrier (07-17-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    In the modern 24/7 world of talking heads on cable and satellite, they need something to talk about, even the talking weather heads.

The news, and weather, never comes fast enough to give them the opportunity to talk about facts of the present, so they jump to the possibilities of the future. And possibilities of extremes is what gets them ratings.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    In the modern 24/7 world of talking heads on cable and satellite, they need something to talk about, even the talking weather heads.

The news, and weather, never comes fast enough to give them the opportunity to talk about facts of the present, so they jump to the possibilities of the future. And possibilities of extremes is what gets them ratings.
    I think it's their drive to define and control what we think and what we do. There is plenty of news actually happening. I'm also tired of reading a horrible article and in the last paragraph finding out it happened in Timbuktu.
    Last edited by patrickt; 07-16-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    Jesse Watters said it right on "The Five" recently with, "They don't report the news but rather the narrative." That's paraphrasing but he's right. Journalist have a list of narratives to put out and simply look for an incident they can use to spout the narrative. Would you be surprised by an article headlined, "Three-year-old girl sexually abused in the Republic of the Congo and it's Trump's fault."

running down a dream V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    they have tornado warnings in Atlanta where residents are advised to hide out in their basements or under furniture. absurd but people actually do it. the old saying is: better safe than sorry. but sometimes being safe involves a million people trying to evacuate at huge costs .. due to something that may or may not be happening. i would say the big networks are definitely good at fear mongering.
    ďAs sure as God made black and white .. what's down in the dark will be brought to the light.Ē - Johnny Cash

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruthless terrier For This Useful Post:

patrickt (07-17-2019)

Thread Information