User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father fatally shoots man after home is targeted by group with paintball guns

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    key words in any situation like this "i feared for my life"...in the dark, hearing pops and projectile contacts, seeing the shape of a firearm and responding with deadly force is, imo, justifiable.

if not for the fact the dead one came to this mans house, and proceeded to target his home, none of that would have happened.
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Hows the homeowner supposed to know the paint guns are paint guns and not actual guns. and people have been hurt by paint guns. Why does this homeowner have to pay the price. He wasn't the one starting it. When you play stupid paint ball games sometimes you win life altering/ending prizes. POlice have done the same with guns that don't even fire.
    A. I can tell the difference in the sound between firearms and paintball guns.
    B. No one shoots a house. They shoot out the windows or try and lure a sucker outside.
    C. No one in a house has been injured by a paintball projectile fired through the wall of the house.
    D. Does a paranoid being afraid give them the right to shoot someone who poses no threat?

Now, if he'd called the police, stayed in the house, even he might have figured out why know holes were being punched in the wall and no windows were being shattered.
    Last edited by patrickt; 07-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    I want to know more about the chain of events and the circumstances.

On the one hand I get that a responsible gun owner should take caution before he fires a weapon. On the other hand shooting paintball guns at a mans house not knowing the reaction is an incredibly Stupid thing to do, especially this late at night with limited visibility.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-12-2019),patrickt (07-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    A. I can tell the difference in the sound between firearms and paintball guns.
    B. No one shoots a house. They shoot out the windows or try and lure a sucker outside.
    C. No one in a house has been injured by a paintball projectile fired through the wall of the house.
    D. Does a paranoid being afraid give them the right to shoot someone who poses no threat?

Now, if he'd called the police, stayed in the house, even he might have figured out why know holes were being punched in the wall and no windows were being shattered.
    More power to the gangs, huh? Monetary damage and possible physical from paintballs. Ever hit with a frozen paintball? Ever taken a paintball to the temple? Ever been a victim of gang intimidation? Ever pay to have your house repainted, reroofed or dents from your car and repainted?
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 07-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time. JUSTICE GEORGE SUTHERLAND (1938)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freewill View Post
    The law will find against the homeowner who shot the man, in my opinion. I hate to say it but I think that is right.
    In reality it is not, threatening someone with a gun be it real or not in many states is forcible felony and the use of force up to and including deadly force is justified.

As I understand it, a person has to retreat to their home or their car before using deadly force. This does not include a person's front yard.
    Well in Florida and Texas the Castle Doctrine has been extended to anywhere a law abiding citizen can lawfully be, therefore that could be in the yard, at a park, just about anywhere it is legal to possess a gun.

There are many other factors like equalization of power. If the person in the yard was firing a semi-auto then I do believe that a person can use their weapon to equalize the power.
    Not in Florida, if an offender pulls an unloaded BB gun, the victim is justified in taking that persons life, there are no requirements to determine what type of gun they have, the fact they have one and are acting in a threating manner justifes the use of deadly force.

Never the less, a person has to be in REAL fear for their lives before using their weapon, not just pissed at some kids shooting paint balls. And no, I don't think that the man would have went outside if he thought they were actually firing a weapon at their house, if he did he acted foolishly.
    Again at least in Florida the perception of fear is all that counts, now exiting ones home to determine what is happening might not be the best tactic, but there as with everything exceptions.

It could very well be if he was concerned about getting into a gunfight and exposing his family to return fire, so instead he exits the home and confronts the perpetrator's from outside and away from the home.

The problem with second guessing something like this shooting is there are too many important details that are never released for anyone else to make a clear decision as to the legality.
    Last edited by Well Bonded; 07-12-2019 at 03:51 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Well Bonded For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-12-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    I believe TX is one of the few states that allows the use of deadly force to protect property, but there are constraints to that,

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    More power to the gangs, huh? Monetary damage and possible physical from paintballs. Ever hit with a frozen paintball? Ever taken a paintball to the temple? Ever been a victim of gang intimidation? Ever pay to have your house repainted, reroofed or dents from your car and repainted?
    Oh, no, the dreaded Bloods, Crips, and Paintball gangs. Paranoia runs rampant. His homeowners insurance would cover vandalism but I wonder if it will cover shooting the vandal? Tell me, Dummy, would you panic at kids throwing rolls of toilet paper over your house? What if the TP has been soaked in gasoline or, worse, homemade napalm. Best to shoot first and think later.

"There are many easy ways to clean the paintball paint from clothing, vehicles and homes. You can easily make these elements at your home without spending more on the expensive cleaning products for paintball stain removals."
    https://theoutdoorrecreation.com/cle...ntball-stains/
    Last edited by patrickt; 07-15-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Thread Information