User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookware?

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks

Cookware?

I have been cooking since I was about 15. Initially, it was not by choice, I went to court and became emancipated, so I was living on my own.

At first, cooking was a necessary chore and an infrequent one since I was working in restaurants.

But at a certain point, I found a love for grilling. I love the taste of grill food (and no, a gas grill is not grilling). And from there I started cooking inside as well (other than a microwave).

I have tried it all, and the end result, the winner for me is Stainless Steel, period, not even close. Ceramic is a sad copycat of Stainless, cast iron is a pain in the ass to maintain and loses to Stainless in every category, Non-stick is nasty and wears out over a couple of years no matter how much you pay. anodized Non-stick is the same.

Cooking with stainless steel is different, you have to use lower temps. So if you are used to say non-stick and heating it on med-high or high to char a steak or chicken breast, you will have to drop it to a little below medium to do the same via stainless (a huge complaint against stainless is burning food).

Also, let the pan heat, and after it heats (don't add oil to the pan until it is hot, serious, just don't do it!), let the oil heat to a ripple. Then add your protein. After that, let it be, nudge the chicken or steak before trying to turn it. When it is ready, it will release and it will not stick.

Yes, the food you are cooking will leave behind a residue of "pieces" also referred to as "browned bits"(Fond). This is a great thing! Add some butter and heavy cream, or some stock and herbs and you have a great sauce or gravy. You won't get this opportunity using non-stick. And, if you have never created a sauce from pan droppings to go over your meat...

As for cleaning, just soak it for a half-hour and wipe it clean. If you actually burn something in your stainless steel pan, use barkeepers friend, which is an incredible cleanser that you should have anyway.

If you are interested in Stainless Steel cooking but do not want to by a set of cookware, here is the best choice:

Amazon.com: Cooks Standard 02523 Classic Stainless Steel Deep Lid 5 Quart/11-Inch Saute Pan, 5 Quart, Silver: Gateway

With this single pan, you can make just about everything. It is good quality and will last for years.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 07-12-2019 at 01:02 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-12-2019),Brat (07-12-2019),Garden House Queen (07-12-2019),Old Tex (07-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    I have a whole set of heavy stainless steel cookware that was my mom's. I have had it for over 10 years and she may have had it for at least 20 years before that......... a very long time. Every single pan still looks like new. We have had to tighten the screws on the handles but that's it. Those pans are in perfect condition. There is a large roasting pan, a large skillet, and four sauce pans of different sizes. We have the lids too that have a center knob that twists to either let out the air or seal it in.

I don't know what the brand is or where my mom got those pans but those are the only pans I will ever need (well, I do have a smallish teflon skillet that I use sometimes).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (07-12-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I have a whole set of heavy stainless steel cookware that was my mom's. I have had it for over 10 years and she may have had it for at least 20 years before that......... a very long time. Every single pan still looks like new. We have had to tighten the screws on the handles but that's it. Those pans are in perfect condition. There is a large roasting pan, a large skillet, and four sauce pans of different sizes. We have the lids too that have a center knob that twists to either let out the air or seal it in.

I don't know what the brand is or where my mom got those pans but those are the only pans I will ever need (well, I do have a smallish teflon skillet that I use sometimes).
    When you have a good set of stainless it is for life. And once you learn how to use it (lower temps) it does everything you want!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Cast iron...by far.........seasoned, of course!
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019),NORAD (08-18-2019),Retiredat50 (07-12-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    Yes, I like cast iron, too, (I especially like it to use on my old kitchen cook woodstove) but the stainless is easier to clean. Re-seasoning the cast iron is not hard for me but is time consuming.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garden House Queen For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (07-12-2019),Retiredat50 (07-12-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    I hate "cooking" & also hate eating anything I cook. If my wife's gone chances are that I'll either eat out or just open a can of something. And yes, I'll eat it right out of the can. That includes using an outdoor grill. On the other hand we bought an electric smoker, which I love. It's a big sucker & I can smoke 30 chicken breasts plus some ribs or a steak at the same time. We shopped around for the smoker & got a third off of the price. Heck I can even adjust the temperature with a remote control from inside the house. That comes in handy when you want to smoke & it's like yesterday with the temp at 104 outside. You don't even have to open it to add wood chips so it's darned easy to use. I'll add that it's also easy to clean. Smoking is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

As far as pots & pans....We have a set we bought about a year ago. My wife gave me the company name & told me to get the "stackable" set & sent me to the store. About 40 minutes later I showed up with the wrong set so back I went. The second trip I was successful (they only carried 2 sets). I remember that they were on sale & still expensive as hell. Other than putting them in or taking them out of the dishwasher I haven't touched them since. If it's a choice between cooking or the can opener I'll take the can opener every time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019),Northern Rivers (07-12-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    We recieved a set of Wonder Ware 49 years ago for a wedding gift . The saleswoman came over the house and did a demo on the items and part of the sales pitch was she proved how strong they were by jumping on the pots and pans ( she wasn't a little women either ) . Any way my mother in law bought the whole line as gift for us and we still use all of them to this day . Guaranteed for life and they've sent replacement knobs twice .
    Non stick pans ? Nope ,the little SicilIan despises them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daily Bread For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019),Northern Rivers (07-12-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    I love stainless as well (All Clad), but I also have a few non-stick, which I religiously use for certain foods. And of course I have a couple of cast iron ones as well (Lodge).
    Last edited by teeceetx; 07-12-2019 at 09:53 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019)

Truth Seeker, Alumni, V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    When I got married we were given a complete set of cast iron cookware - including the 'Dutch Oven'. The only cast iron pieces I really liked were the large and small skillets and over time I gave away the other pieces.

Through the years I have acquired a collection of the Vintage - copper bottom, stainless steel, Revere Ware from my grandmother, mother and mother in law. Those pans last forever!
    I do have a couple of large Teflon pans that I like to use.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (07-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    When you have a good set of stainless it is for life. And once you learn how to use it (lower temps) it does everything you want!
    I cook with gas so it's easy to keep it low and I do.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-12-2019),Northern Rivers (07-12-2019),Retiredat50 (07-12-2019)

Thread Information