User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver cops may start carrying food for people in need

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks

Denver cops may start carrying food for people in need

The move aims to serve as both a crime prevention and community policing tactic
    Today at 3:45 PM

By PoliceOne Staff

DENVER – The Denver Department of Public Safety may start equipping first responders with nonperishable food items to hand out to those in need.

Denverite reports
    the move aims to serve as both a crime prevention and community policing tactic.

“This steps slightly out of what their traditional job duties have been,” Zach Fleck, a Denver DPS senior financial analyst, told Denverite. “With the idea that if we can get ahead of some of these issues – poverty, food security, behavioral health – then ultimately what will happen is the instances of crime will be lower in the future than they are today.”

The city is planning to partner with local churches, nonprofits and other aid groups in the effort. In addition to having food on hand, first responders will be able to connect those in need with city resources. The Denver DPS hopes the plan will curtail crimes of desperation.

To protect and serve me some red wine with my pasta. Leftism has gone wild.
    If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. Nicola Tesla

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (07-08-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-08-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Why do you have a problem with this idea?

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Just great.
    More free food(stamps) to buy(trade) drugs.

Crackheads and methheads don't get hungry.

The assumptions and projections in the OP are absolutely ludicrous.

You can't "get ahead" of "behavioral health" issues with cans of pork and beans, or any other kind of food.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-08-2019),dinosaur (07-08-2019)

1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Why don't they just give out free samples from the local MJ dispensaries?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-08-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-08-2019)

1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    The state of Colorado has a law that allows for the dispensing of Naloxone to those who may need to use it, including family and friends. If they start giving food too, first responders are going to need bigger ditty bags.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/naloxoneorders

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-09-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    Why do you have a problem with this idea?
    You feed vagrants, you get more vagrancy.

No, I don't expect you to understand that. I do; and not only do I, but I have a history in Denver. Used to be, the private CHARITIES would feed the bums sleeping in doorways on Broadaway or the 16th Street Mall. Yeah...what came of it was NOT less vagrancy. It was a vermin problem and drunken bums in doorways, and petty crime, and some rapes...and a decrease in the quality of life for taxpaying citizens.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-09-2019),Conservative Libertarian (07-08-2019)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    You feed vagrants, you get more vagrancy.

No, I don't expect you to understand that. I do; and not only do I, but I have a history in Denver. Used to be, the private CHARITIES would feed the bums sleeping in doorways on Broadaway or the 16th Street Mall. Yeah...what came of it was NOT less vagrancy. It was a vermin problem and drunken bums in doorways, and petty crime, and some rapes...and a decrease in the quality of life for taxpaying citizens.
    You aren’t getting rid of the homeless. The program isn’t setting up food trucks on every corner feeding the homeless. It’s handing out a few things to people when they make an emergency call. And, from how it reads, it’s a charitable program supplied by churches and other groups, not being funded by tax money. It’s not the same as San Francisco buying the homeless shopping carts.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    The homeless issue in Denver is huge. I'm in Denver a lot and witness this first hand. There are homeless at every major intersection. They even leave signs for the next person to use.

The police resources need to be focused on more urgent matters. I'm all for churches and other organizations stepping up and helping. They likely do a better job than local government.

The root of most homelessness lies in drugs and mental health problems. The cure lies there. Giving is only a bandaid.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-09-2019),Conservative Libertarian (07-08-2019),JustPassinThru (07-08-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    The homeless issue in Denver is huge. I'm in Denver a lot and witness this first hand. There are homeless at every major intersection. They even leave signs for the next person to use.

The police resources need to be focused on more urgent matters. I'm all for churches and other organizations stepping up and helping. They likely do a better job than local government.

The root of most homelessness lies in drugs and mental health problems. The cure lies there. Giving is only a bandaid.
    The cure lies in aggressive law enforcement. PAIN. You train, with PAIN.

JAIL. HARASSMENT. When these "campers" (the term the bums used as they squatted on the Platte River Greenway) learn that they'll go to JAIL, with or without head bruises from nightsticks...and if they repeat it enough, they're repeat offenders and go away a LONG time...they'll either get with the program, use one of the dryout programs the Sally or others offer...or they'll drift away. Plenty of ghost towns just west - they can spread out and drink all they want. Not so clean, but when they're drunk and fried on meth, they won't know any different.

LAW ENFORCEMENT WORKS. This is an obvious truth that libburls CONSTANTLY try to hide.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-09-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    When I first came to Las Vegas, the mayor was running homeless camps just outside of town. They had food, shelter, job training and placement, and transportation to and from the city. There was no participation.
    If you give a man a fish, he trades it for a drink.
    If you teach a man to fish, he shits on your street.
    Every living being is responsible for making his way in the world. We can try to help those who are mentally unfit, but if help is refused, my obligation is over.
    This whole situation can only get more difficult.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to someguy For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-09-2019),Conservative Libertarian (07-08-2019)

Thread Information