User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Bugout Bicycle Camper

  1. #11
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    I’d rather sleep in my home in my king sized bed. But if the shit gets bad and I need to go, I want to make some distance. Not be pulling that lexan coffin at 3mph.
    Having fabricated bikes and bike trailers for years, that would be cake to pull.100 pounds or less, no problem here in flat florida.

    I once towed 386 pounds of steel to the scrap yard, that was a bit of effort but low gears and momentum made that not to bad. Now steep grades? Different story.

    I see the value of a bike camper as more useful for the homeless than a teotwaki scenario.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

    Big Dummy (07-05-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-05-2019)

  3. #12
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Nice but to many gadgets. Definitely not a minimalist fella. A urinal? Really? It's called a gatoraide jug assuming one cant just exit and do the deed. Not knocking it, just my opinion.

    Also, to really build stuff like this to last, learn to weld. I'm amazed at the links people will go to, to NOT have to weld.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

    HawkTheSlayer (07-05-2019)

  5. #13
    Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 92.0%

    JustPassinThru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New California
    Posts
    54,516
    Thanks
    11,044
    Thanked: 41,539
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    21474896
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    I think i would rather sleep in that box over the bare ground, BD.
    Having a little water and DC power is nice too.
    It's really not going to be what's nice. Travel is going to be something born of URGENCY. If you don't need to, you don't do.

    And if you have to move...as mentioned, camo's and light gear. If you must sleep on the ground, you must.

    You want to be OUT OF SIGHT. Teams would be better, and with a camp watch for intruders. Rotate, every two hours or so.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

    Big Dummy (07-05-2019),Kris P Bacon (07-05-2019)

  7. #14
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    It's really not going to be what's nice. Travel is going to be something born of URGENCY. If you don't need to, you don't do.

    And if you have to move...as mentioned, camo's and light gear. If you must sleep on the ground, you must.

    You want to be OUT OF SIGHT. Teams would be better, and with a camp watch for intruders. Rotate, every two hours or so.
    Bivy sack? I have one of these. Bunker down in the bush anywhere.
    Military Surplus Modular Sleep System (MSS) Grade 3 - MidwayUSA

    https://www.midwayusa.com › ... › Military Surplus Gear › Sleeping Bags, Mats & Cots





    Rating: 4.8 - ‎94 reviews - ‎$109.99 to $179.99
    Grade 1: Excellent to New/Unissued – All Military Surplus MSS -30 Degree 4-Part Sleeping Bag Systems are US Government Issued products and are rated in ...
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





  8. #15
    Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 92.0%

    JustPassinThru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New California
    Posts
    54,516
    Thanks
    11,044
    Thanked: 41,539
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    21474896
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Bivy sack? I have one of these. Bunker down in the bush anywhere.
    Military Surplus Modular Sleep System (MSS) Grade 3 - MidwayUSA


    https://www.midwayusa.com › ... › Military Surplus Gear › Sleeping Bags, Mats & Cots



    Rating: 4.8 - ‎94 reviews - ‎$109.99 to $179.99
    Grade 1: Excellent to New/Unissued – All Military Surplus MSS -30 Degree 4-Part Sleeping Bag Systems are US Government Issued products and are rated in ...
    That might be the ticket - something like; but less bulky.

    Packing for the Yellowstone trip that doesn't seem to want to happen...I was examining my sleeping gear. The last two years, I've had problems with circulation. Frozen feet. Last fall's trip to Portland, had me camping at a commercial site...nice fall weather, but cold. I had lined my Academy (Wally World) sleeping bag with an electric throw-comforter I had from years ago. DAMN, if that wasn't the ticket. No tent, just a pad and the bedroll and that e-leck-tricity.

    Now, with space limited (not going to Yellowstone, now, height of Tourister Season; but going to Ohio...bidnezz) I'm just packing the electric pad, my full length, and my tent. Fark the bedroll.

    Of course that won't do with TSHTF; but it suggests that often, less is more.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 07-05-2019 at 11:29 PM.

  9. #16
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    That might be the ticket - something like; but less bulky.

    Packing for the Yellowstone trip that doesn't seem to want to happen...I was examining my sleeping gear. The last two years, I've had problems with circulation. Frozen feet. Last fall's trip to Portland, had me camping at a commercial site...nice fall weather, but cold. I had lined my Academy (Wally World) sleeping bag with an electric throw-comforter I had from years ago. DAMN, if that wasn't the ticket. No tent, just a pad and the bedroll and that e-leck-tricity.

    Now, with space limited (not going to Yellowstone, now, height of Tourister Season; but going to Ohio...bidnezz) I'm just packing the electric pad, my full length, and my tent. Fark the bedroll.

    Of course that won't do with TSHTF; but it suggests that often, less is more.
    I have been sleeping with the black bag (coldest rated) year round in my bed for near 10 years now. Not fully covered, just like a comforter.

    For full on stealth, a bivy sack is hard to beat. If you had to do stealth, a goodly supply of those chemical heater packs would be nice. Or stones warmed in the sun or in a hot water bucket, over a fire (Seems they would warm more evenly with less chance of burning, hot spots).
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

    JustPassinThru (07-06-2019)

  11. #17
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.5%

    Big Dummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    18,902
    Thanks
    38,555
    Thanked: 24,237
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Bivy sack? I have one of these. Bunker down in the bush anywhere.
    Military Surplus Modular Sleep System (MSS) Grade 3 - MidwayUSA


    https://www.midwayusa.com › ... › Military Surplus Gear › Sleeping Bags, Mats & Cots



    Rating: 4.8 - ‎94 reviews - ‎$109.99 to $179.99
    Grade 1: Excellent to New/Unissued – All Military Surplus MSS -30 Degree 4-Part Sleeping Bag Systems are US Government Issued products and are rated in ...
    Those are really heavy and bulky. In my backpacking life , I learned that a 10’x10’ tarp you can roll up in and fold the foot end to seal. Pack in the face end as pillow. This works better , weighs less , is lighter and packs smaller.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. Robert Heinlein

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

    JustPassinThru (07-06-2019)

  13. #18
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    Those are really heavy and bulky. In my backpacking life , I learned that a 10’x10’ tarp you can roll up in and fold the foot end to seal. Pack in the face end as pillow. This works better , weighs less , is lighter and packs smaller.
    Yes but, consider the total package. This is a tent and all weather gear in one. A tarp over you in the Fl summer will Keel ya! At least wrapping up in it. The outer shell of the military bivy is breathable gore tex.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





  14. #19
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.5%

    Big Dummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    18,902
    Thanks
    38,555
    Thanked: 24,237
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Yes but, consider the total package. This is a tent and all weather gear in one. A tarp over you in the Fl summer will Keel ya! At least wrapping up in it. The outer shell of the military bivy is breathable gore tex.
    I own a gore-tex military bivy. I have used it. I know it holds moisture in. In cold mountains I put my face inside and woke up freezing and soaking wet from just my breath.

    Trust me on the tarp thing. Many through hikers have way more experience than I do and do the tarp roll up. The famous old gal from the AT used a shower curtain. She was the best ever and a pioneer in ultra light packing.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. Robert Heinlein

  15. #20
    Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 77.0%

    Kris P Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Arcadia Fl. The promised land
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    39,842
    Thanked: 24,025
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    I own a gore-tex military bivy. I have used it. I know it holds moisture in. In cold mountains I put my face inside and woke up freezing and soaking wet from just my breath.

    Trust me on the tarp thing. Many through hikers have way more experience than I do and do the tarp roll up. The famous old gal from the AT used a shower curtain. She was the best ever and a pioneer in ultra light packing.
    The Florida humidity is unlike other drier areas of the USA.

    I have done the tarp, more than several times.
    Last edited by Kris P Bacon; 07-06-2019 at 02:17 AM.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)





Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •