User Tag List

Thread: New Sniper Rifle for Airborne Units

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks

New Sniper Rifle for Airborne Units

thebesig | July 3, 2019

Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System (CSASS). (Chris Oleary/Army)

This new rifle is more compact and lends itself to operating in cramped conditions… Like the environment experienced by units that need to jump out of airplanes. This rifle gives the sniper the ability to move in cramped conditions, make a jump, land, then effectively do his or her job… Based on the article, more effectively.

It’s easier to operate, has less recoil, and has above average accuracy.

From The Army Times:

“The rifle is easier to shoot and has less recoil, all while shooting the same round as the M110. [Additionally,] the CSASS has increased accuracy, which equates to higher hit percentages at longer ranges,” Yarosh said.

The newest CSASS not only has a shorter barrel, but also an adjustable stock for easier transport and comfort.

“The CSASS is much shorter and lighter than our current system, which will make long dismounted movements and reaction to contact more efficient,” said Spc. Nicholas Farmer, a sniper in C Troop, 1st Battalion, 73rd Cavalry Regiment.

Most M4s max out at near 300 meters, but the CSASS allows shooters to reach out to 600 meters. The new rifle can fire the M80A1 Enhanced Performance Round and the XM1158 Advanced Armor Piercing Round.

The Army is increasingly shifting to urban operations, despite the push to do training in all environments… Against multiple types of enemies. Add jumps to the mix, and the physics involved with dropping with equipment, maintaining weapon accuracy is a must.

You could read a lot more details about this on Army Times.
    If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. Nicola Tesla

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (07-03-2019),Crusader (07-04-2019),MisterVeritis (07-03-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    Previous AR based sniper platforms had some reliability issues such as jamming. I wonder if they got that straightened out on this one.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    Previous AR based sniper platforms had some reliability issues such as jamming. I wonder if they got that straightened out on this one.
    You got links?
    If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. Nicola Tesla

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    You got links?
    I’ll see if I can find the article I was thinking about. I remember it was an interview with Chris Kyle where he was asked about his preferred weapons. He didn’t like the AR based semi-auto platforms because of jamming.

Thanks
    Here it is. It’s in the section under His 300 Win Mag

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...s-kyle-rifles/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fins For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (07-03-2019),Big Dummy (07-03-2019)

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    Here it is. It’s in the section under His 300 Win Mag

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...s-kyle-rifles/
    To be fair that article is four and a half years old, things have changed a lot since then. Also this isn’t your fun shop AR-10 or even the old SR-25 he used back then, this is a much higher quality HK build. I doubt it will have any reliability problems.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    To be fair that article is four and a half years old, things have changed a lot since then. Also this isn’t your fun shop AR-10 or even the old SR-25 he used back then, this is a much higher quality HK build. I doubt it will have any reliability problems.
    I wasn’t saying it would have the problems. I just wondered if they have fixed the issues previous versions had. The military doesn’t have the best history with making sure all the problems are fixed before they adopt a new weapon. Look at M16 when it was put into service or the new Sig sidearm.

Thread Information