User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope this forum is for techie probs, in general, not just here. I need HELP!

Tard Wrangler Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    About a week ago, my cursor quit working. Long story short, shut her down, and when turned back on, go that dreaded, "DING! DING! DING! siren" that goes off when something is horribly wrong. Tried different 'fixes', but nothing worked. Gave up the ship. Decided late one morning to give it one last shot, and there she was, working as normal.

BAM. Same thing this morning. Shut her down, then turned it back on. After the dreaded siren quit, a black page w/white lettering comes up: I clicked on F8 to get the 'more advanced 'try':

Choose Advanced Options for Windows

*Repair Your Computer (high lighted)

Safemode w/networking
    Safemode w/Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging:
    Enable low-resolution video (640x840)
    Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced)*
    Directory Services Restore Mode
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Description: View a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair start up problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system.

***I tried "Last Known Good Configuration," first. NO GO.

THIS time, I used, "Start Windows Normally." (Again, after alarms finally quit.) Obviously, it worked, 'cuz here I am.

ANY advice would be of help, but please don't speak entire geek, or it'll go over my head.

Should I have chosen a different option in the list above?

Should I get her fixed? Trade her in for new w/my VERY dependable 'puter guy, for a p.c. that already has Win 10 installed?

Fix what's broke for now, and limp along?

Do you figure I've got a worm or virus that's making it act up? (And yes, it did cross my mind that this is Win's doing, themselves, encouraging me to 'buy new.')

I have LOVED this 'puter. And as it's a $650 machine, so not one I'm wanting to give up needlessly.
    Try this:

Type 'Recovery' in your task bar search window and click 'System Restore'. Click next and a box with one or more restore points which hopefully predate when your puter started to act up will appear. Select one and follow the prompt.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:

2cent (07-03-2019),darroll (07-03-2019)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I have several wireless mouses in a drawer. They aren't good for gaming (not for me at least). They don't see the computer at all the wrong times and I won't deal with that so I use a mouse with a cord and I hate it, but it must be done. Also, I have used the roller ball mouse for years and I have no intention of ever going back to the traditional mouse that you have to roll all over the desk. I can't deal with that.
    Don't game, so its not a problem. Cats like wires.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan40 For This Useful Post:

Jen (07-03-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oops. Should've clarified.

Lenovo laptop. Bought in 2012. (4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 10/100 LAN) Mostly stay plugged in, while keeping battery in "best battery health."
    *DING! It changed on it's own. Just checked. Slipped from 'best battery health', to 'Super energy saver' FOR the battery. Hmm. May be the prob. Still, doesn't seem to be the reason for the computer to go cahfloohey like it has.

IAC, would you suggest a new battery, jic? I RARELY use the computer using the battery.

Oh. Of course, mouse is in the laptop keyboard.
    The battery shouldn't enter into it. You can run the computer with the battery removed - try it. Just don't pull the battery out WHILE it's running and plugged in.

It could be that the terminals on the battery are dirty. A clean Qtip and some rubbing alcohol should take care of that, and if not, that's not the problem.

I'm guessing you're running 7. I believe they've stopped supporting it - I wouldn't put it past Microsquish to have an automatic update that blasts the OS into trash.

You do kind of need to find a small shop that understands Windoze. NOT the geeks at the Geek Squad, who are minimum-wage idiots; but someone running a little independent business.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

2cent (07-03-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Still gamin' huh?

A roller ball mouse is the most clumsily handled device in the world. But I am glad you like it @Jen . We had those at work before I retired. I always thought it reminded me of a 1980 Asteroids game.
    It's an acquired taste.

My first computer...I didn't have a desk or room to set one up. You could not imagine this apartment - a loft bedroom with a kitchen nook. A mini-sink for the kitchen, and a bathroom put in what looked like a broom closet.

But I used my first computer with an old television stand (it was an iMac, with the CRT screen) and had the keyboard in my lap. And the mouse...on the arm of my recliner...didn't work so well. So I bought a trackball, and there!...I could use it!

Except of course, the innards quickly got all gummed up with lint. Cleaning it was a weekly project - and not easy, since it used actual rollers in the case.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (07-04-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    I have a wireless mouse that is odd shaped and fits my large paw perfectly. But it takes 2 AAA batts and they die if I leave the mouse turned on. (which I do all the time).

I thought you were asking the SINGLE tech question in all the world that my techless mind could answer.

BUT NOOOoo....................
    I have found that with several "upgrades" the wireless mice don't work so well.

I have one, about ten years old...USB2.0...it stopped working as it should. Not constantly - as in, dragging and dropping is impossible. It moves the cursor fine, but when I'm trying to move files...like that arcade toy with the claw and the stuffed dog...it'll drop the files wherever, and I have to spend an hour fishing for where they went and trying again.

An even-older USB cable mouse does fine, even now.

I thought the mouse was broken, but now, a second mini-mouse, USB2.1 or something, has started doing the same thing. So, when I'm digging or searching or downloading, with my Linux box, I use the wired mouse.

Here I use the mini-mouse. The occasional drop isn't a problem.

Traveling, I use the old ergo-mouse. I have the track pad on my netbook to back it up with.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 93.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    I have a wireless mouse that is odd shaped and fits my large paw perfectly. But it takes 2 AAA batts and they die if I leave the mouse turned on. (which I do all the time).

I thought you were asking the SINGLE tech question in all the world that my techless mind could answer.

BUT NOOOoo....................
    But thanks for trying!
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Try this:

Type 'Recovery' in your task bar search window and click 'System Restore'. Click next and a box with one or more restore points which hopefully predate when your puter started to act up will appear. Select one and follow the prompt.
    Hang on. Let me write this all down. BRB. WE HOPE!

LATE EDIT: I guess I'm typing "Recovery" in the wrong box. Define, "task bar search window" please?
    Last edited by 2cent; 07-03-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    The battery shouldn't enter into it. You can run the computer with the battery removed - try it. Just don't pull the battery out WHILE it's running and plugged in.

It could be that the terminals on the battery are dirty. A clean Qtip and some rubbing alcohol should take care of that, and if not, that's not the problem.

I'm guessing you're running 7. I believe they've stopped supporting it - I wouldn't put it past Microsquish to have an automatic update that blasts the OS into trash.

You do kind of need to find a small shop that understands Windoze. NOT the geeks at the Geek Squad, who are minimum-wage idiots; but someone running a little independent business.
    Yes, I'm running Windows 7. Their support stops at the end of this year. It did occur to me that MS is causing the probs, themselves, in order to convince me to buy a new pc.

I do have a small shop guy. He's excellent! I will not purchase a computer elsewhere. FWIW, if he needs to keep my 'puter for more than a day, he gives me a loner.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

NORAD (07-05-2019)

2020 --> TRUMP! Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Probably won't do you any good right now but I tell family and friends to keep a live linux usb stick around ( my favorite is "PartedMagic") What you do is boot from the stick and then you can tell if it's an OS problem or hard ware. At any rate the stick has an OS on it that will let you get on the internet and handle some basic tasks as well as recover data if your hard drive is good.

https://partedmagic.com/
    https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Live-Mu...gateway&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Big Bird; 07-03-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    “About abortion, I don’t want to make it illegal, I want to make it unthinkable." - Frank Stephens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bird For This Useful Post:

2cent (07-05-2019)

Tard Wrangler Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Yes, I'm running Windows 7. Their support stops at the end of this year. It did occur to me that MS is causing the probs, themselves, in order to convince me to buy a new pc.

I do have a small shop guy. He's excellent! I will not purchase a computer elsewhere. FWIW, if he needs to keep my 'puter for more than a day, he gives me a loner.
    Windows 7 has restore point recovery as well:

How to Restore Your System to an Earlier Point - dummies
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

17. The Following User Says Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:

2cent (07-03-2019)

Thread Information