Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Cool Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

And Iím sure they wince every time they get a bill for what they owe in loans.
    Not surprisingly perhaps, the new survey found the top regret was incurring immense debts for that higher education, a debt whose payments run on for many years, causing postponed marriages and families. An estimated 70 percent of college graduates this year finished school with loans to repay averaging $33,000.
    The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.
    Most satisfied were majors in math, science, tech and especially engineering. More than a third of computer science grads and four-in-ten engineering grads had no regrets about their area choice of studies.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Beachcomber (07-03-2019),darroll (07-04-2019),Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),pjohns (07-24-2019),teeceetx (07-03-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    A purposeful crisis the only solution to will be a mass demand they all have thier loans forgiven, and a democratic party promising it in the election, they haven't trotted it out yet, but student loan forgivness will be on the 2020 platform same as free health care for illegals.

Federalized student loans need done away with completely, and people can either pay to go, or not go because they can't pay.

If that means nights washing dishes to put yourself through college and doing your best for good grades in high school to qualify for grants just like your great grandpappy did, then that's just the way it's gonna have to be down the road, colleges need forcibly removed from the government trough.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankenvoter For This Useful Post:

darroll (07-04-2019),JustPassinThru (07-03-2019),Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),teeceetx (07-03-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    One of the reasons college tuition is so high is the same reason health care is so high: government intrusion into the market place. Colleges, like the medical providers, know that they can charge whatever they want because the government will provide the funds to pay for it. I paid for my college education by first bagging groceries at Winn Dixie and then by qualifying for the GI bill (I also sold shirt "seconds" (shirts that had flaws and couldn't be sold through normal channels) to fellow college students until the College Park MD city government said I couldn't do that because I was not zoned for business nor did I have a license, apparently one of the local haberdasheries ratted me out)
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),pjohns (07-24-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    This is what happens when people listen to prog's who say everyone needs a college diploma. Useless, utterly useless. And for that privilege, they are indebted with enormous debt which they will likely never be able to repay.

Since high schools don't teach a damned thing, that means college students struggle to pass even the most dumbed down classes. In fact, what is being taught in colleges today was likely the same level of education an 8th grader received 50 years ago.

No worry, all us taxpayers will be paying their debt real soon, when the Federal Government forgives all student loan debt.
    Last edited by teeceetx; 07-03-2019 at 09:29 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),pjohns (07-24-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Sadly, there aren't that many well-paying jobs for Transgender Studies, Illegal Law, or Evil American History......

But, most college students got what they went to school for: Lots of sex, drugs, booze and, a really good time......
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

darroll (07-04-2019),Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),pjohns (07-24-2019),sargentodiaz (07-03-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    There are people with college majors that make us scratch our heads.........why in the world would anyone go into debt for a degree in medieval costume design? Yet, some choose majors like that and expect to get well-paying jobs for it........because.......it's a college degree.

That may have happened once upon a time, but it's not happening now.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

darroll (07-04-2019),Lone Gunman (07-03-2019),pjohns (07-24-2019)

Venator Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    go west, young man, learn yourself a trade and get a leg up on a real paying job.

be making money instead of accumulating a pile of debt just so you can go on spring break, ogle budding feminists, and get a head stuffed full of anti-american bullshit.
    Μολών λαβέ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

NORAD (07-05-2019)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    I find this all very interesting. I graduated with an MBA in Accounting. I had ten years to pay off my loans, but did it in just over 5.

I know that without this degree, I would never have had the job opportunities that I did, nor would I have gotten the salary I have today.

I think it is all up to the individual to ensure that they have a degree that is useful and applicable.

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    I got my degree to spite the university.

Seriously.

They didn't want to give it to me.

And by the end of it, I didn't really want it either, except they were such assholes about the whole thing that I decided to shove it up their glaring orifices -

So now they have to list my name in every publication. Ha ha. I win.

I got my degree in tertiary basketweaving - or it might as well have been that, because what it actually was didn't exist at the time.

It was one of those roll-your-own major things oh, so I just told people it was an engineering degree and no one was the wiser.

This way I got plenty of high-paying engineering jobs. Because my chosen field didn't exist at the time, there were no jobs there.

My 35-year career has been in a completely different field from my degree, although once in a while there were elements of crossover.

So now I'm retired and I'm in the music business, which makes my degree even more worthless than it was before.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Nowadays, they would call your major a degree in Horticulture with an emphasis in Cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    I got my degree to spite the university.

Seriously.

They didn't want to give it to me.

And by the end of it, I didn't really want it either, except they were such assholes about the whole thing that I decided to shove it up their glaring orifices -

So now they have to list my name in every publication. Ha ha. I win.

I got my degree in tertiary basketweaving - or it might as well have been that, because what it actually was didn't exist at the time.

It was one of those roll-your-own major things oh, so I just told people it was an engineering degree and no one was the wiser.

This way I got plenty of high-paying engineering jobs. Because my chosen field didn't exist at the time, there were no jobs there.

My 35-year career has been in a completely different field from my degree, although once in a while there were elements of crossover.

So now I'm retired and I'm in the music business, which makes my degree even more worthless than it was before.
    Last edited by Linux; 07-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Thread Information