Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks

all Microsoft ebooks will be deleted this month

Purchase any eBooks from Microsoft?

Too bad.

They're going to be deleted this month.

See, if you read the fine print, you're not really buying the book, you're just renting it. Microsoft isn't going to let you own anything anymore.

Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will Be Deleted This Month Because You Dont Really Own Anything Anymore

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Brat (07-02-2019),darroll (07-01-2019),Jim Scott (07-01-2019),jirqoadai (07-02-2019)

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    eBook fans should look into what eBooks might be available for loan from their local public library. My daughter has been checking out a lot from our local county library system the past four years. She lives in China, so it saves her a lot of travel time and money, .
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Brat (07-02-2019)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Purchase any eBooks from Microsoft?

Too bad.

They're going to be deleted this month.

See, if you read the fine print, you're not really buying the book, you're just renting it. Microsoft isn't going to let you own anything anymore.

Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will Be Deleted This Month Because You Dont Really Own Anything Anymore
    Actually, according to copyright laws, you never really own books when you buy them. You only buy a license to read them. But, with a paper copy, there’s no chance of it expiring unless you lose it.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    Actually, according to copyright laws, you never really own books when you buy them. You only buy a license to read them. But, with a paper copy, there’s no chance of it expiring unless you lose it.
    Nah - copyright means you can not "publish" the material. Usually that means you can't copy it, because copying is publishing.

In theory, if you buy a CD and then write down the words to a song, you're violating the copyright because you're publishing.

But there is also "fair use", which means use not for commercial purposes - for example if they're singing A Hymn in church and they put the words up on the screen, technically that's publishing, but it's fair use because it's only for the purpose of the congregation singing the song, and there's no money to be made from it.

At least not directly - the mechanics of the Christian music business are very interesting oh, they have a whole separate thing that's not ascap or bmi, and they license in bulk, so for example a large church can pay 50 thousand a year and be covered for just about anything they want to reprint.
    Last edited by nonsqtr; 07-02-2019 at 12:00 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Brat (07-02-2019),jirqoadai (07-02-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    I do not do the whole ebook thing because I do not like reading a long document on a computer monitor.

The first book I read was printed on paper and the last book I read will be printed on paper.

Can you imagine starting to read War and Peace (1455 pages Signet paperback edition) getting half-way through and receiving a message, "Due to a recent Windows upgrade this ebook format is no longer supported"

Edited to include:

Ebooks lend themselves to censoring and changing of the "classics." My copy of Huckleberry Finn contains the word "nigger" how long before the ebook version replaces it with "African-American" how long before an ebook version of the Constitution eliminates basic rights?
    Last edited by DLLS; 07-02-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Nah - copyright means you can not "publish" the material. Usually that means you can't copy it, because copying is publishing.

In theory, if you buy a CD and then write down the words to a song, you're violating the copyright because you're publishing.

But there is also "fair use", which means use not for commercial purposes - for example if they're singing A Hymn in church and they put the words up on the screen, technically that's publishing, but it's fair use because it's only for the purpose of the congregation singing the song, and there's no money to be made from it.

At least not directly - the mechanics of the Christian music business are very interesting oh, they have a whole separate thing that's not ascap or bmi, and they license in bulk, so for example a large church can pay 50 thousand a year and be covered for just about anything they want to reprint.
    You’re only partially correct. I had a detailed conversation one day with a copyright attorney that started over all the illegal streaming boxes on them market where the sellers claim they are legal because you aren’t downloading a copy of the content. What I learned is there are actually two copyrights on intellectual property. The commonly known one is concerning distribution. This covers reproducing the content and how it’s sold. But the second one is the “performance”. Just like if you buy a movie or concert ticket, the disclaimer says you have purchased the right to view the intellectual property. A CD or DVD has the same thing. You never own a DVD. You own a license to view the content as often as you want, as long as you don’t profit from the content (you can’t open an underground theater in your home). With a book, I guess you could say that technically you own the paper and cardboard the book is made of, but the content (intellectual property) belongs to the creator.

Thread Information