User Tag List

Thread: GoFundMe deplatforms Israel Folau, fans back him with 1.5 million

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks

GoFundMe deplatforms Israel Folau, fans back him with 1.5 million

I've been following this a bit. So this Christian athlete makes a statement using the bible that does not PROMOTE homosexuality and social media deletes his account after his contract was dropped by his sponsor.

GoFundMe Deplatforms Christian Athlete; Fans Back Him with $1.5 Million

17 Shares Tweet 6 Print Reddit

By Alexander Hall | June 25, 2019 4:58 PM EDT
    When the U.S.-based crowdfunding website GoFundMe booted Australian athlete Israel Folau, critics had no idea it would be the best thing they could do for him.
    Folau is a popular national figure both as an athlete and an outspoken Christian. He was fired from his profession and deplatformed when he used GoFundMe to rally funds for a legal case to take his job back. Christian Australians however, have rallied around him in a huge way.
    The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), says that Folau’s deplatforming galvanized his support base and recruited many more to his side. A far more intense and generous flow of donations went to Folau’s new fundraising site after it was launched last Tuesday evening shortly after midnight.

The Australian observed how, “The ACL, which is handling the new legal war chest for Folau, says the swell of donors in the first 12 hours had been so ‘phenomenal’ the fund was expected to reach up to $1.5 million by Wednesday.” This was “double the amount raised on GoFundMe in four days.”
    Folau had been found guilty of a code of conduct breach. The crime? Paraphrasing Corinthians 6: 9-10 from scripture. He posted a meme in April on Instagram that condemned "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters.”
    According to CNN, a three-person tribunal decided on Friday after much deliberation that his contract should be terminated.

Folau responded to the initial news by saying “As Australians, we are born with certain rights, including the right to freedom of religion and the right to freedom of expression.”
    He added that “Upholding my religious beliefs should not prevent my ability to work or play for my club or country."
    Folau then initially launched a GoFundMe campaign but the site shut down it down citing its staff “are abso­lutely committed to the fight for equality for LGBTIQ+ people and fostering an environment of inclusivity,” spokeswoman Nicola­ Britton said. She added that “While we welcome GoFundMe’s engaging in diverse civil debate­, we do not tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion.”
    Jeremy Sammut, a senior researc­h fellow with the Centre for Independent Studies, said that GoFundMe’s choice to deplatform Folau is another example of companies “jumping on to the progressive bandwagon.”
    “This raises critical issues about the role of companies in civil society,” He said. “It’s dressed up as inclusivity, but it is really demanding citizens to sacrifice their fundamental human rights.”
    “Religious freedom is the canar­y in the coalmine,” he warned.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-25-2019),Lone Gunman (06-25-2019),Swedgin (06-26-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (06-25-2019),Northern Rivers (06-26-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    “While we welcome GoFundMe’s engaging in diverse civil debate*, we do not tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion.”...so, we will discriminate against, and exclude those who do not share our views.........."

Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (06-27-2019),NORAD (06-27-2019),Northern Rivers (06-27-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's news de jour, here...like Kaepernick was over there for that time.

The whole thing's shifted away from the genesis of the whole thing to...should he pay for his own lawyers.
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

Thread Information