User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Pacific garbage patch: giant plastic trap put to sea again

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks

Great Pacific garbage patch: giant plastic trap put to sea again

Individual initiative gathers support from a wide variety of sources.
    Boyan Slat, creator of the Ocean Cleanup project, announced on Twitter that a 600 metre (2,000ft) long floating boom that broke apart late last year was sent back to the Great Pacific garbage patch this week after four months of repair.
    A ship towed the U-shaped barrier from San Francisco to the patch in September to trap the plastic. But during the four months at sea, the boom broke apart under constant waves and wind and the boom was not retaining the plastic it caught.
    Hopefully nature doesn’t have too many surprises in store for us this time,” Slat tweeted. “Either way, we’re set to learn a lot from this campaign.”
    Last edited by sargentodiaz; 06-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (07-28-2019),JMWinPR (06-24-2019),MrogersNhood (07-28-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Stop allowing cruise ships and other ships to discharge their garbage in international waters at 3am.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

The Devil whispered in Trump's ear and said, 'You're not strong enough to withstand the storm". President Trump whispered back, "i am The Storm"!

and Epstein didn't kill himself.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Brat (06-25-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-28-2019),Jen (07-28-2019),MrogersNhood (07-28-2019),Rickity Plumber (07-28-2019)

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    "Individual initiative garners support...." That's the clue. Snake Oil salesmen have garnered support by individual initiatives for centuries.

File this effort under "the sky is falling" and we have to be able to tell you how to live.
    Last edited by patrickt; 06-25-2019 at 03:33 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

2cent (06-25-2019),El Guapo (06-25-2019)

Tard Wrangler Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    "Individual initiative garners support...." That's the clue. Snake Oil salesmen have garnered support by individual initiatives to centuries.

File this effort under "the sky is falling" and we have to be able to tell you how to live.
    This. Some huckster getting people to pay him to cruise the tropics 'lassoing' garbage that will eventually sink to the earthly equivalent of outer space anyway?

Not to sound unsympathetic; but it's just trash. Unsightly, certainly. But it's just trash.It sinks. Not fast enough for some, evidently. Returning to the earth from whence it came. What shall they do with it? Return it to port where it will be put in a barge and dumped there anyway?
    Last edited by El Guapo; 06-25-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Orange Man 2020

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:

2cent (06-25-2019),Daily Bread (07-28-2019),HawkTheSlayer (07-28-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    This. Some huckster getting people to pay him to cruise the tropics 'lassoing' garbage that will eventually sink to the earthly equivalent of outer space anyway?

Not to sound unsympathetic; but it's just trash. Unsightly, certainly. But it's just trash.It sinks. Not fast enough for some, evidently. Returning to the earth from whence it came. What shall they do with it? Return it to port where it will be put in a barge and dumped there anyway?
    Like the Snake Oil salesman said in the OP: "Either way, we're set to learn a lot from this campaign."

Let's only hope so. Then again, P.T. Barnum was no fool, and got rich knowing what he knew.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

patrickt (06-25-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Good, they need to leave my pre-positioned resupply of energy and construction material where I need it if I ever decide to go all mariner...
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Stop allowing cruise ships and other ships to discharge their garbage in international waters at 3am.
    They are not ALLOWED to dump garbage at sea, anywhere. They are required to crush their garbage and pay to have it hauled away in port.

NOT claiming that is what they always do, just that is what is supposed to happen. That our own laws, meant to PROTECT American shipping and ship building, have eliminated American shipping and ship building doesn't help. The cruise lines are fined when caught dumping, How much is the fine compared to the cost of processing the garbage is a question. Since ALL the cruse ships are foreign registered, due to dumb American laws, there is not much more than fines that can be done.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan40 For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (07-28-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    They are not ALLOWED to dump garbage at sea, anywhere. They are required to crush their garbage and pay to have it hauled away in port.

NOT claiming that is what they always do, just that is what is supposed to happen. That our own laws, meant to PROTECT American shipping and ship building, have eliminated American shipping and ship building doesn't help. The cruise lines are fined when caught dumping, How much is the fine compared to the cost of processing the garbage is a question. Since ALL the cruse ships are foreign registered, due to dumb American laws, there is not much more than fines that can be done.
    LoL Well. I bet if they pay a fee they can do it.

Did I tell you that the Niagara falls authority releases raw sewage into the Niagara river periodically in the early morning hours out of sight of tourists?
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 07-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

The Devil whispered in Trump's ear and said, 'You're not strong enough to withstand the storm". President Trump whispered back, "i am The Storm"!

and Epstein didn't kill himself.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (07-28-2019),MrogersNhood (07-28-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Does this mean I can't pee out of the side of my skiff when I'm in the middle of the flooded cypress and tupelo forests?
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

MrogersNhood (07-28-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    LoL Well. I bet if they pay a fee they can do it.

Did I tell you that the Niagara falls authority releases raw sewage into the Niagara river periodically in the early morning hours out of sight of tourists?
    "Look Honey, it's a turd herd floating our way!"
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

Thread Information