User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you survive the coming blackout?

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks

Can you survive the coming blackout?

OPINION
    Published 2 hours ago

Doug MacKinnon: Will you survive the coming blackout?

By Douglas MacKinnon | Fox News

click here below..........
    Retired Navy SEAL breaks down threat of EMP attack on US

There are many never-ending debates between Republicans and Democrats. Impeach vs. don’t impeach; capital punishment vs. life in prison; wall vs. no wall; legalizing marijuana vs. not; self-driving cars vs. human drivers; Red Sox vs. Yankees; takeout vs. home-cooked; or Gone With the Wind vs. any other movie.
    All of these issues are stunningly important, right up to the second where cataclysm falls and creates a nightmare scenario that so many fear.

That cataclysm is a complete loss of electricity and every mode of convenience and survival we take for granted.
    IS NORTH KOREA'S EMP THREAT REAL OR 'SOMETHING OUT OF A JAMES BOND MOVIE'?
    The largest red flag on this issue in years just waved in South America. Last weekend, tens of millions of people in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay found themselves in a complete blackout. In one moment, they had electricity. The next moment, they had none, and they were catapulted back to the 1800s.
    The national power grid of the United States is truly a mess held together with, as the joke goes, by not much more than "bailing wire and chewing-gum."
    Only much worse.
    People in the 1800s were not dependent upon electricity for their jobs, money, communication, Internet, transportation, education, security, medical services, prescriptions, water, and very lives.
    The national power grid of the United States is truly a mess held together with, as the joke goes, by not much more than "bailing wire and chewing-gum."
    The average age of large power transformers in the United States is 40 years. Seventy percent of all large power transformers are at least 25 years old. It's little wonder that, according to data from the Department of Energy, the United States suffers more blackouts than any other nation in the developed world.
    The overall system is so weak, so taxed, and so vulnerable that in 2003, over 50 million people in the United States and Canada were hit with cascading blackouts simply because a tree branch fell on a power line in Ohio.
    Because the infrastructure is so antiquated, weather triggers multiple blackouts per year in the U.S. Blackouts which collectively cost the nation upwards of $30 billion in spoiled inventory, lost wages, and repair of the grid.

Unfortunately, weather is becoming the least feared trigger of a blackout. In the age of terrorism and increasing cyber-threats, our power-grid getting taken down by a hack is no longer seen as a question of “If it will happen,” but rather, "When it will happen?"
    The U.S. government is so rightfully fearful of this, that last November, it ordered DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) to war-game a complete cyber take-down of the U.S. power grid.
    An exercise they are now wisely running on a regular basis.
    According to the Department of Homeland Security, just last year, hackers – strongly suspected to be Russian – gained access to a number of utility control rooms in the United States and got to the point where "they could have thrown switches."
    In the blink of an eye, you will lose access to money, food, gasoline, communication, medicine, medical attention, heat, air conditioning, and security.

The DHS report further stressed: "Russian government cyber actors targeted government entities and multiple U.S. critical infrastructure sectors, including the energy, nuclear, commercial facilities, water, aviation, and critical manufacturing sectors."
    Aside from the Russians, the Chinese, North Koreans, other terrorist states, and even cyber-extortionists, are targeting our power grid on a daily basis.
    That clock is ticking.

Unfortunately, much like any large terrorist attack, when an extended regional or national blackout hits, you and your family will be on your own. No one is going to ride to the rescue.
    How will you survive?
    In the blink of an eye, you will lose access to money, food, gasoline, communication, medicine, medical attention, heat, air conditioning, and security.
    Gone.
    Even though most don’t do it, residents of California and Florida are reminded every year to assemble their "two-week" survival kit. In California, it's because of earthquakes. In Florida, it's because of hurricanes.

Survival kits which include water, non-perishable food, medicine, first-aid kits, batteries, a radio, flashlights, candles, cash, a hand-crank charger, with smaller versions of all for your vehicle and office.
    The federal and state governments should be issuing that same reminder to every citizen in the nation about the coming blackout. It truly is not a question of "if," but of "when."
    CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
    A night on the town for a movie, dinner, a sporting event or a political debate is great fun until none of it matters and your survival is literally at stake.
    Make a plan, because you will be on your own.
    CLICK HERE TO READ MORE BY DOUG MACKINNON

Douglas MacKinnon is a former White House and Pentagon official and author of "The Forty Days: A Vision of Christ's Lost Weeks." (Simon & Schuster, 2016).

Last edited by Garden House Queen; 06-23-2019 at 08:29 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garden House Queen For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-23-2019),Brat (06-23-2019),Canadianeye (06-24-2019),Madison (06-23-2019),Rutabaga (06-23-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    yes, pre electronic vehicle...

hand pump for well...

grow our food.

i'll survive...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-23-2019),Brat (06-23-2019),Garden House Queen (06-24-2019),Madison (06-23-2019),OldSchool (06-23-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    Probably not.

I have the food, but not the water. I can draw the water - I have twenty gallon jugs - but may not have the advance warning.

I have the weapons but I keep most of them not-on-the-property. Because I don't want to lose them in a burglary or raid. Again, since I'll be on foot when TSHTF, I'll probably be robbed, killed or blocked, getting weapons one-mile away.

It all comes down to luck. I could get killed tomorrow morning going down to the Post Office. I could learn I have cancer next week. I'm 61 and have led a good life, mostly.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-23-2019),Garden House Queen (06-24-2019),Rickity Plumber (06-24-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    yes, pre electronic vehicle...

hand pump for well...

grow our food.

i'll survive...
    What is your plan for getting rid of human waste? What about garbage?

Do you have any medical conditions that require modern medicines?

How will you keep bad men at bay?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (06-23-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    What is your plan for getting rid of human waste? What about garbage?

Do you have any medical conditions that require modern medicines?

How will you keep bad men at bay?

Pretty sure Ruta has the first and last ones handled. Guessing he has ancient methods for the middle one.
    The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time. JUSTICE GEORGE SUTHERLAND (1938)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (06-24-2019),Rutabaga (06-23-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    Pretty sure Ruta has the first and last ones handled. Guessing he has ancient methods for the middle one.
    This provided no useful information.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Probably not.

I have the food, but not the water. I can draw the water - I have twenty gallon jugs - but may not have the advance warning.

I have the weapons but I keep most of them not-on-the-property. Because I don't want to lose them in a burglary or raid. Again, since I'll be on foot when TSHTF, I'll probably be robbed, killed or blocked, getting weapons one-mile away.

It all comes down to luck. I could get killed tomorrow morning going down to the Post Office. I could learn I have cancer next week. I'm 61 and have led a good life, mostly.
    It must feel so good to have lived a long life on this planet and not have to most likely die at a young age because of a disaster that happened to not become likely until today.

I'm really serious.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    I have wood but need gas to put in chainsaw
    I have a place to burn wood in my house
    (so I can heat my place in winter *like I already do)
    and I can cook food and water no problem I have a well
    that I already use (bcause I live in middle of nowhere )

I have a nafta and oil lamp and I always keep candles
    I like it in winter bcuz it`s dark at 4 pm

For food ...always possible to produce my own veggies
    and meat there is some farmers that live around my place will say yes to sell me farm product ....
    I really need some gas to operate the machines and car
    We can judge the heart of a nation by his treatment of animals.

"One slice of bacon a day keep the Muslims away, add pork juice in Hallal food"

"The're friends who will offer advice and wisdom. They're are cowgirls who come blasting through your door with whiskey, weapons, a shovel, and a plan! "

NEW PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND OF CANADA*DONALD J. TRUMP

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madison For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (06-24-2019),Rutabaga (06-23-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Independent View Post
    It must feel so good to have lived a long life on this planet and not have to most likely die at a young age because of a disaster that happened to not become likely until today.

I'm really serious.

Oh, cry me a river. Times are always hard. Too bad my old man isn't alive to tell you what life was like growing up in Germany - as it was Nazifying. What it was like to have your father disappear; and then have your mother panic, dig for your birth certificate (born in Cleveland to German parents) and then have to sneak out, fake papers, under cover of the Berlin Olympics.

Then, safely in Cleveland...that after sailing waters where U-boats were sinking passenger ships regularly...once there, living in the projects in Cleveland...get a scholarship to Ohio State...and GET DRAFTED. And sent RIGHT BACK to Germany, in an American infantryman's uniform.

How about the nuclear war fear that went on, from 1948 to about 1963? Little kids hiding under desks in school drills, as if that would do anything.

I personally served in the Navy. On an aircraft carrier. Saddam Hussein was not playing nice, and new alleged President Bubba Erectile, was blustering. You think I wanted to go swimming in the Gulf, surrounded by hostile shore, after our carrier had taken a hole it was not designed to have?

Man it up.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 06-23-2019 at 10:26 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (06-24-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Oh, cry me a river. Times are always hard. Too bad my old man isn't alive to tell you what life was like growing up in Germany - as it was Nazifying. What it was like to have your father disappear; and then have your mother panic, dig for your birth certificate (born in Cleveland to German parents) and then have to sneak out, fake papers, under cover of the Berlin Olympics.

Then, safely in Cleveland...that after sailing waters where U-boats were sinking passenger ships regularly...once there, living in the projects in Cleveland...get a scholarship to Ohio State...and GET DRAFTED. And sent RIGHT BACK to Germany, in an American infantryman's uniform.

How about the nuclear war fear that went on, from 1948 to about 1963? Little kids hiding under desks in school drills, as if that would do anything.

I personally served in the Navy. On an aircraft carrier. Saddam Hussein was not playing nice, and new alleged President Bubba Erectile, was blustering. You think I wanted to go swimming in the Gulf, surrounded by hostile shore, after our carrier had taken a hole it was not designed to have?

Man it up.
    Don't worry because I can understand a lot of that too.
    Questioning my manhood just comes off as making me look bad.

Plus from the way it seems more people's probability of dying is a little greater than that of your grandparents or your experiences. This isn't trying to sound callous or ungrateful for your services, but an EMP scenario seems even scarier to me. At least in the military, you have a relatively better chance of survival, unless you can cite any experience otherwise.
    Last edited by Mr. Independent; 06-23-2019 at 11:08 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Independent For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (07-24-2019)

Thread Information