User Tag List

Thread: Top California high-speed rail executive under investigation in ethics probe

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks

Top California high-speed rail executive under investigation in ethics probe

Top California high-speed rail executive under investigation in ethics probe

A top consultant for California’s controversial high-speed rail project is under investigation after he modified a multi-million dollar contract that involved a company in which he may have held more than $100,000 in stock.

At the request of California state Assemblyman Jim Patterson, a Republican and major critic of the bullet train project, the Fair Political Practices Commission launched an investigation last week into the deputy chief operating officer for the California High-Speed Rail Authority, Roy Hill.

Hill, who is also a senior executive at the lead consulting firm WSP, signed a $51-million change order for the construction team led by the Spanish firm Dragados. Hill, however, may have also owned more than $100,000 stock in Jacobs Engineering, which is part of the Dragados team, according to the Los Angeles Times.

WSP suspended Hill on Monday at the direction of the rail authority. Hill will remain suspended until the investigation is resolved.
    Even without this dubious tyransaction, why was a guy with a grossly obvious conflict of interest hired (or if he bought the stock after being hired, why wasn't he canned?)?!
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (06-08-2019),RMNIXON (06-08-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks
    Where I worked, we had annual reaffirmation training for business ethics, our "code of conduct". As part of the training, we were required to file a questionnaire detailing any and all holdings or potential conflicts of interest. As part of the training, we were instructed to contact corporate lawyers before making any potential conflict of interest investments, so they could say whether a conflict existed for our specific positions and responsibilities. Both pre-emptive and post reporting was necessary as mergers/acquisltions and internal position changes could affect the conflict of interest status.

Every day, the news I hear out of government tells me that the government should not be in control of anything.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    I wonder if they ever intended to complete this insane project, or if the whole thing was a Federal Money Scam from the start?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

Thread Information