"You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Nothing like eating fresh caught fish. I like the mild fish like bass but I like crappie better. Bream too.
    And speckled trout is probably my favorite salt water fish.

I'd sure like to try some lake or rainbow trout.
    They stock a few small, public lakes here with rainbow in the winter for the kids to fish. There is no limit as they can't survive the heat in the summer and will die anyway.
    The best tasting rainbows come out of the cold mountain waters of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. The thing is they are protected and you can only keep five and they all have to be 7 inches or more. In Cherokee NC you can catch all you want but you can't keep any of them. Also you cannot use live or natural bait (no corn kernels or worms) Its still fun to slog through the fast running streams trying to hook a keeper. Actually, the water in those streams are so acidic there isn't much in the way of live bugs in the water so the food supply is slim and as a result the fish don't grow very big. You can catch sardine sized rainbows all day long. The last one I could I was told that was a record sized fish. They had never seen one that small caught on a fly before!
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (06-06-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    I was gonna ask.

I'm partial to Lake Erie Perch. There was a small fish store in a little crossroads at the state line, Pennsylvania and New York, on the shore of Lake Erie...that used to have sporadic dumps of perch, sold cheap because it wouldn't keep.

Breaded and deep fried...oh, man. One of my favorite childhood memories.
    I have to say that Lake Erie Perch are one of the tastiest fish ever. Walleye is a close second.

My father in law (ex) and I would go either walleye of perch fishing. Walleye during the week and perch on the weekend cause it took so long to clean a hundred perch. I remember the days of unlimited bag limits on them and we would even get doubles on spreader rigs.

Of course this was back in the day when there was a ten limit fish on walleye. Today I think it is 4 fish in a specific slot size. When we would get our ten limit, we would still fish and start culling out of the live well. Man, I remember some monster walleye! This was back in 1973 when I started fishing with my father in law.

My uncles would be so jealous they would beg me to take them to my F-I-Laws spots! I would take them near the spots but never on top of his spots. That was sacred.

My father in law was a good man and a real outdoorsman. He started me off squirrel hunting with a Ruger 10-22 and fishing like I described. His own son was a pansy ass and never wanted to hunt or fish with his dad. I think this is why my F-I-Law and I got along so well. I got along better with him than a did with his daughter!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (06-06-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    Do they taste like chicken?
    much batter than any bird I have ever ate.

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    The best tasting rainbows come out of the cold mountain waters of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. The thing is they are protected and you can only keep five and they all have to be 7 inches or more. In Cherokee NC you can catch all you want but you can't keep any of them. Also you cannot use live or natural bait (no corn kernels or worms) Its still fun to slog through the fast running streams trying to hook a keeper. Actually, the water in those streams are so acidic there isn't much in the way of live bugs in the water so the food supply is slim and as a result the fish don't grow very big. You can catch sardine sized rainbows all day long. The last one I could I was told that was a record sized fish. They had never seen one that small caught on a fly before!
    I miss fly fishing.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We used to fish a lot...mostly river fishing at night for channel cats and blue cats...used chicken gizzards and livers for bait...but....the best bait was helgimites, they stayed on the hook better because of that iron-like collar around the back of their pinchers.....we had to be careful because they'd pinch your fingers if you weren't paying attention. I have always loved to fish...as a kid I remember fishing with a bobber and a cane pole...that was the most fun.....the thrill of seeing that bobber get taken under water was a rush! As I got older fishing with artificial and an ultra lite pole was good too....but....then again...... fly fishing was fun!

Haven't gone fishing in years. Always think I have too much work to even think about it.
    Last edited by Garden House Queen; 06-07-2019 at 05:15 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Garden House Queen For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (06-07-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden House Queen View Post
    We used to fish a lot...mostly river fishing at night for channel cats and blue cats...used chicken gizzards and livers for bait...but....the best bait was helgimites, they stayed on the hook better because of that iron-like collar around the back of their pinchers.....we had to be careful because they'd pinch your fingers if you weren't paying attention. I have always loved to fish...as a kid I remember fishing with a bobber and a cane pole...that was the most fun.....the thrill of seeing that bobber get taken under water was a rush! As I got older fishing with artificial and an ultra lite pole was good too....but....then again...... fly fishing was fun!

Haven't gone fishing in years. Always think I have too much work to even think about it.
    Yes, ultra-light is fun. That's what I was using. A cheap $10 Zebco rod and reel.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (06-07-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    I miss fly fishing.
    I don't need to fish for flies. They come to me on their own.

Thread Information