User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama declares today November 15th as America Recycles Day

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    I only recycle what I can sell at the metal place. Aluminum, iron, circuit boards, copper, etc. I'm ain't givin' shit away. I burn the rest. Vegetable clippings etc go in the compost pile for my garden.

You know those collection bins you see for clothes? That is a strictly for profit business, not charity. Surprise!

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Collection bins for clothes? are you talking about goodwill and salvation army?

Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Collection bins for clothes? are you talking about goodwill and salvation army?
    Nope. They don't really have a big name labeled on them. They just say donate clothes.

Competition for clothing donations hurting Goodwill

Goodwill Industries will accept the shirt off your back, as well as all those off your (closet) rack, at their clothing donation boxes and sheds around the Coastal Empire.

But the local nonprofit is no longer the only group interested in clothing discards. Donation boxes owned by for-profit clothing recyclers have popped up in shopping center parking lots around Savannah in recent months.
    And with clothing donations to Goodwill running “significantly low for this time of year,” according to an official, there is little good will for the new competition.

“The recession and economic times have something to do with it, but I think there are other factors at work,” said Steven Bellmoff, Goodwill’s director of donor and business development. “Look around town and there’s a new colored box for clothing donations appearing every day.”

Two clothing recyclers in particular have emerged as Goodwill rivals locally. Mid-Atlantic Clothing Recycling, based in Maryland, and Second Life Recycling out of North Carolina have donation boxes in the parking lots of several local shopping centers, including Savannah Crossing, Chatham Plaza and Savannah Centre.

These for-profit donation boxes are everywhere now.
    DO NOT give your things to these vampires.
    They are seriously hurting Goodwill and Salvation army.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I only recycle what I can sell at the metal place. Aluminum, iron, circuit boards, copper, etc. I'm ain't givin' shit away.
    I recycle aluminum cans, glass and small plastic bottles that we can take to the local place in town and get the money for it. We usually split it in half and give have to each kid. We have 2.

The recycle bin that our waste management company provides makes a great storage bin.

Milk jugs go in the trash. Instructions from the waste management company says "wash this out, rinse that out, sort this, sort that". Screw that. I'm not going to to to all that trouble so they can make money of of it. I'll throw it in the trash. If they want to sort it out, more power to them.
    How nice it would be if everyone judged their party by the same high standards that they use to judge the other party.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DDave For This Useful Post:

Agravan (11-18-2012)

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    I don't recycle. I haven't done it in years. It is a hoax. There are no natural resources being saved. It's just political correctness and in these little ways they train us to obey in all other ways. Don't do it. Don't recycle. Throw your plastic in the trash. Do not go paperless. Do not pay online. Slap your little stamp on that envelope and send it on its way. Do not put your aluminum in the cans marked aluminum...put them in the cans marked plastic. throw in some food. This is how you beat them. Millions of people revolting just a little in their everyday lives every day. One little act of defiance a day.
    Awesome! I love it.

Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    I live in the country, DDave, and we don't have garbage pickup. We have about 5 trash collection sites in the county that are open every other day and that's where we take used oil, cans and glass. We burn plastic and paper, and compost the food. Any meat scraps or bones go in the field to be eaten by buzzards, and animals eat bones for the calcium. I lived in the BIG city til about 20 years ago and now the country life is the norm. I like it.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    I have a recycling bag that Obama would fit in nicely, sorry not enough room for Weezy.
    Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. T. S. Eliot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivu5LDQeHJ4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to garyo For This Useful Post:

Agravan (11-18-2012)

Senior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    I don't recycle. I haven't done it in years. It is a hoax. There are no natural resources being saved. It's just political correctness and in these little ways they train us to obey in all other ways. Don't do it. Don't recycle. Throw your plastic in the trash. Do not go paperless. Do not pay online. Slap your little stamp on that envelope and send it on its way. Do not put your aluminum in the cans marked aluminum...put them in the cans marked plastic. throw in some food. This is how you beat them. Millions of people revolting just a little in their everyday lives every day. One little act of defiance a day.
    This is unbelievable. I'm just in awe of your arrogance and stupidity.

Nobody is that stupid and ignorant to think recycling doesn't do any good, not in this day and age. Oh wait, maybe there really are people that stupid. Oh well.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    I agree, that's a bit over the top. However, in point of fact, most recycling is not cost and energy effective. Particularly things like glass and paper. Recycling aluminum is because secondary aluminum smelting (remelting) uses a helluva lot less energy than producing it from raw ores.

What we really need to do is reduce packaging and implement returnable beverage containers everywhere. This is hardly draconian, when I was a youngster, all beer and pop bottles carried deposits and most people took them back. The ones that ended up along side the road were picked up by kids like me for a little spending money.

Everything wasn't packaged to death either.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mainecoons For This Useful Post:

Agravan (11-24-2012),countryboy (11-24-2012),Kizzume (11-20-2012)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    Here you are again with your personal attacks. Would you care to comment on the topic? Do you understand that some recycling actually creates more pollution because the material is of too low value/too difficult to recycle such that it requires more energy and generates more byproducts than simply burying the stuff.

Careful now, I'm a retired sanitary engineer. I used to design and evaluate liquid and solid waste management systems.

You're not going to be here long if you don't have anything to offer other than personal attacks.

Thread Information