User Tag List

Thread: Mississippi City Paying Criminals Up to $10,000 to Leave Town

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive1 year registered
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks

Mississippi City Paying Criminals Up to $10,000 to Leave Town

Clarksdale, MS has a unique crime fighting method – paying criminals to move away. Mayor Charles (Chuck) Espy has put $10,000 of his own money in the fund to encourage criminals who refuse to be rehabilitated to leave Clarksdale. It’s part of a five point crime-fighting plan developed by the Mayor and Police Chief.

Get Rehabilitated or Get Out

The Mayor stated (Blue Lives Matter):
    “Those interested in resolution and rehabilitation from committing criminal activities will be offered an opportunity to repair relationships and given a second chance through pro-social behaviors through education and cognitive-behavioral treatment.” Mayor Chuck Espy

Fox13 Memphis reported,

Chief Sandra Williams spoke to other efforts

“We have gone out and added additional people to our department. We hired someone from MBI who is a retired investigator, that person is responsible to look at all the felony cases.”

Reverend John Givins from Clarksdale also spoke with FOX13 about the issue. “We encouraged them to stay in our city and become great citizens. We will also be putting an etiquette class in place for these people. And we have skill sets to prepare them for jobs coming to the city of Clarksdale.”

The mayor also told FOX13 he’s asking for corporate help to help fund the moving expenses.

While it’s unique to offer a paid relocation program to criminals, it is somewhat reminiscent of some old fashioned “extradition” programs in which criminals were taken to the stateline and told never to come back. Those old methods had no money involved. Perhaps a shotgun or rifle pointed at the perp, but no money. That method was common in states like Wyoming and other Western states in the early 1900s.

The problem is that in today’s world, how to you keep them from returning? And by giving them money are you just foisting off your problems on another jurisdiction?

The rest of the plan is good, and actually does hit at the root causes of crime. Cognitive behavioral treatment is effective in many cases, although it’s usually accomplished in a “captive audience” situation. It has a lot to do with criminal associations being removed out in the world, or having someone who has been through it and already turned their life around to help mentor.

How Clarksdale will ultimately fare in their rehabilitation effort is an unknown. Each individual is different. Some do change and become productive citizens. Some don’t like being told what to do and may refuse to follow the plan. I’ve seen both ends of that spectrum. It is an excellent step in the right direction, though, and we wish them well in their efforts.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/0...to-leave-town/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Molly Pitcher For This Useful Post:

2cent (05-26-2019),darroll (05-26-2019),Garden House Queen (05-25-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    maybe use their relatives as hostages. come back we kill them and you if we get ahold of you too

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    The problem is that in today’s world, how to you keep them from returning? And by giving them money are you just foisting off your problems on another jurisdiction?

I actually think that is a good plan with a couple of givens. The first is that if you come back you have to pay the money back or go to jail for breaking a contract (no trial, go straight to jail). The second is that they must go to a state of your choice. That's so that they will fit into the lifestyle of that state. They are criminals so California is a given. They won't even be noticed there.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Someone please define: "Cognitive behavioral treatment." If it's anything like 'drunk class', generally, the 'patients' know more than the instructor, and aren't really interested in being instructed, even if they didn't know more.

However, if someone really wished to improve his circumstances, being told how to basically present himself at an interview would be of help. AKA 'etiquette' classes, which I'll admit cracked me up, at first.

JFTR, though, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard tell of judges ordering criminals out of state far more recent than the early 1900's, with an order to 'send a picture of yourself at the state line' to prove he followed through.
    Last edited by 2cent; 05-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

darroll (05-26-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Coupla questions:

Is this not taxable income?

What happens when the crook blow their money and come back?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Taxcutter For This Useful Post:

Molly Pitcher (05-26-2019)

Thread Information