User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking an answer about the crucifixion of Christ

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks

Seeking an answer about the crucifixion of Christ

I saw the movie, "The Passion of the Christ", many years ago (2004). I'm not very religious but I went with a lady-friend who is very religious because she didn't want to go alone. I don't remember all that much about the movie anymore but I remember that we were both sorry that we went because we thought the brutality that Christ suffered was over-the-top.

Anyway, here's the question I have: I vaguely remember that Christ asked the following question while on the cross: "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

To me, it indicates that he didn't foresee the events of that day and didn't give his life willingly. If that was the case, what was the point of him being left in the dark about such an important event?

It makes it seem as though it was a cruel trick played on him by his heavenly father.
    Last edited by Fall River; 05-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fall River For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (05-13-2019),Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    First off....the brutality was not over the top. IF ANYTHING, you didn't get the FULL impact. THe romans came up with a new term to describe the horror, brutality and savagery of the crucifixion....the word is excruciating.....of the cross. And Roman soldiers were experts at delivery.

This Form of death was so terrible that it was only for those who were not roman citizens. They just had their heads cut off.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-13-2019),Knightkore (05-13-2019),MrogersNhood (05-13-2019),Northern Rivers (05-13-2019),Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019),pjohns (05-13-2019),RMNIXON (05-13-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    This says it way better than I could with scripture references.

Why did Jesus say, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Question: "Why did Jesus say, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'"

Answer:
    “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46, KJV). This cry is a fulfillment of Psalm 22:1, one of many parallels between that psalm and the specific events of the crucifixion. It is difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was “forsaken” by God. It is certain that God approved His work. It is certain that Jesus was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As God’s own Son—holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient—God still loved Him. In none of these senses could God have forsaken Him.

The prophet Isaiah says this about the Messiah: “Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed” (Isaiah 53:4–5). Jesus redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us (Galatians 3:13). He was made a sin-offering, and He died in our place, on our account, that He might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, that intensified His sufferings and part of why Jesus said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” It was the manifestation of God’s hatred of sin, in some unexplained way, that Jesus experienced in that terrible hour. The suffering He endured was due to us, and it is that suffering by which we can be saved from eternal death.

In those awful moments, as evil men were allowed to do whatever they wanted to Jesus, our Lord expressed His feelings of abandonment. God placed the sins of the world on His Son, and Jesus for a time felt the desolation of being unconscious of His Father’s presence. It was at this time that “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-14-2019),Knightkore (05-13-2019),MrogersNhood (05-13-2019),Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019),pjohns (05-13-2019),Rita Marley (05-13-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    I really enjoy these questions. It is an opportunity for me to learn and grow and potentially for anyone who sees the topic and is intrigued. I appreciate you asking this question @Fall River I hope it helped you.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-14-2019),Jen (05-13-2019),Knightkore (05-13-2019),Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019),Rita Marley (05-13-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks
    Excellent answer Calypso.
    LGBT = Liberty Guns Bibles Trump / FDR = F Dem Racists

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Kenneth Copeland: "Sometimes you can tell what something is by what it isn't."

"Don't do unto others if they ain't done unto you, because you might get done in doing it." — Fred Sanford

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    First off....the brutality was not over the top. IF ANYTHING, you didn't get the FULL impact. THe romans came up with a new term to describe the horror, brutality and savagery of the crucifixion....the word is excruciating.....of the cross. And Roman soldiers were experts at delivery.

This Form of death was so terrible that it was only for those who were not roman citizens. They just had their heads cut off.
    People don't realise that the brutality of today's Italian mob...especially Ndrangheta...is just the same/old, same/old.
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (05-13-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    I saw the movie, "The Passion of the Christ", many years ago (2004). I'm not very religious but I went with a lady-friend who is very religious because she didn't want to go alone. I don't remember all that much about the movie anymore but I remember that we were both sorry that we went because we thought the brutality that Christ suffered was over-the-top.

Anyway, here's the question I have: I vaguely remember that Christ asked the following question while on the cross: "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

To me, it indicates that he didn't foresee the events of that day and didn't give his life willingly. If that was the case, what was the point of him being left in the dark about such an important event?

It makes it seem as though it was a cruel trick played on him by his heavenly father.
    he was given not just one, but two death sentances. youre right. i dont think Jesus Christ was ready for that. and Pilate erred thinking Julias Ceasar wouldnt care. the pigheaded governor thought he was above the law. do you think if Jesus knew he was to be whipped to death and then cruxified, He wouldve had His men cut a path out to escape the crowd?
    Last edited by jirqoadai; 05-13-2019 at 11:03 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jirqoadai For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-15-2019)

Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    he was given not just one, but two death sentances. youre right. i dont think Jesus Christ was ready for that. and Pilate erred thinking Julias Ceasar wouldnt care. the pigheaded governor thought he was above the law. do you think if Jesus knew he was to be whipped to death and then cruxified, He wouldve had His men cut a path out to escape the crowd?
    Did Jesus Know He Was Going to Be Put to Death? | Billy Graham | Columns | ArcaMax Publishing

Did Jesus Know He Was Going to Be Put to Death?

By Billy Graham, Tribune Content Agency on Mar 22, 2016
    Q: Did Jesus know He was probably going to be put to death? Couldn't He have done something to avoid it and keep on living? -- K.McK.
    A: Yes, Jesus knew beyond doubt that His days were numbered, and that He would be put to death by those who opposed Him. He also knew when it would happen. Only weeks before His death He told His followers, "They will mock him, insult him and spit on him; they will flog him and kill him" (Luke 18:31-33).
    And yet Jesus did not shrink back from this or try to escape. Instead, the Bible says, He deliberately continued on His way. Why did He do this? Not because He had some kind of a twisted martyr complex, or because He was tired of living -- not at all. Instead, He knew it was part of God's plan for Him to die -- because by His death, He would become the final and complete sacrifice for all our sins. Jesus declared, "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45).
    Was there any other way for our sins to be forgiven? Only hours before His arrest Jesus struggled alone in prayer, asking God to take away the horror of what was about to happen to Him. He prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42).

But there was no other way -- for on the cross, all our sins were transferred to Him, and He took upon Himself the judgment and Hell that we deserve. Think of it: He died for you! God loves you that much! Have you responded to His love by committing your life to Christ?

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

"Don't do unto others if they ain't done unto you, because you might get done in doing it." — Fred Sanford

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-14-2019),Frankenvoter (05-13-2019),Jen (05-13-2019),Old Ridge Runner (05-15-2019),Rita Marley (05-13-2019)

VeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    The belief that God saved and answered the prayers of His servant Jesus is embraced by Muslims today and was embraced by some of early followers of Jesus.
    Proof by assertion: informal fallacy,its repetition may be cited as evidence of its truth, in a variant of the appeal to authority or appeal to belief fallacies. It's a form of brainwashing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Correction For This Useful Post:

Fall River (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The belief that God saved and answered the prayers of His servant Jesus is embraced by Muslims today and was embraced by some of early followers of Jesus.

Captain Cold

Thread Information