User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Christian seminary president doesn’t believe in Resurrection, Virgin Birth, Heaven

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive1 year registered
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    How many of the disciples of Jesus came to believe that he had been raised from the dead ?
    IF.....you'd read the Bible after the Crucifixion (if...you've read it at all) it answers that question.

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Thanks
    The best way to destroy a cultural institution is from within.

Which is what is being done here. So...getting Christ tossed out, sets the stage for Chrislam - the interim.

From there we can move to Sharia. I hope that dingbat dyke enjoys her burkha and chattel status. I hope she lives to endure it, and that it kills her.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (05-04-2019),JMWinPR (05-05-2019),Molly Pitcher (05-04-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    How many of the disciples of Jesus came to believe that he had been raised from the dead ? we simply don’t know. The problem is that our sources – even the ones completely favorable to the earthly disciples of Jesus — are virtually silent about them.

There are many problem with that narrative;

Attachment 42520
    Two different narratives, and they don't necessarily contradict each other; two different points are being made. The number isn't mentioned since that doesn't matter, just the event itself; whether one or a hundred only one message need be sent. Similar 'contradictions' appear throughout the Old and New Testaments, except they aren't 'contradictions', like changing from singular to plural references during the 'Creation' narrative or number of animals on Noah's Ark; they wouldn't be stupid enough to perpetuate such obvious 'errors' if they were just making it all up for fun. They are there on purpose.
    Last edited by Oberon; 05-05-2019 at 02:47 AM.

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teeceetx View Post
    Yet another freakishly liberal woman in charge. WTF is up with that?
    I think the following covers it quite nicely...

A foolish woman is clamorous; She is simple, and knows nothing.For she sits at the door of her house, On a seat by the highest places of the city, To call to those who pass by, Who go straight on their way: “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here” ~ Prov. 9:13-16
    Last edited by S-N-A-F-U; 05-05-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    When I was in college I dated a Seminarian. I typed papers for many of the Seminarians in that University (Indiana). Many of them, future Protestant church pastors, did not believe in the virgin birth. Their disbelief may have gone further, but that is all I remember from their papers (and my talking to them about their papers). This was all in the late 1960's. So that disbelief goes back at least to all of that social upheaval that existed then and I suspect longer than that.

There are and always will be believers and non-believers. The determiner of that might be beyond our own understanding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (05-05-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    When I was in college I dated a Seminarian. I typed papers for many of the Seminarians in that University (Indiana). Many of them, future Protestant church pastors, did not believe in the virgin birth. Their disbelief may have gone further, but that is all I remember from their papers (and my talking to them about their papers). This was all in the late 1960's. So that disbelief goes back at least to all of that social upheaval that existed then and I suspect longer than that.

There are and always will be believers and non-believers. The determiner of that might be beyond our own understanding.
    Well, that explains the explosive rise of these "non-denominational" (which I call "commercial") churches.

We have four big ones, here. Very nice structures. Logos; lots of signage; one actually does direct mailings for Christmas and Easter.

All that COSTS. And I wonder how the pastors live; and I wonder if the beautiful churches are effectively the pastors' titled property.

It's probably a veneer for the "Prosperity Gospel" - Give to me, the rev'rund; and God will reward you and make you as conspicuously rich as me.

And in an era where the institutional churches are all suffering from this corruption of doctrine, people are ready to explore ANY alternative.

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Well, that explains the explosive rise of these "non-denominational" (which I call "commercial") churches.

We have four big ones, here. Very nice structures. Logos; lots of signage; one actually does direct mailings for Christmas and Easter.

All that COSTS. And I wonder how the pastors live; and I wonder if the beautiful churches are effectively the pastors' titled property.

It's probably a veneer for the "Prosperity Gospel" - Give to me, the rev'rund; and God will reward you and make you as conspicuously rich as me.

And in an era where the institutional churches are all suffering from this corruption of doctrine, people are ready to explore ANY alternative.
    That's why I separated myself from organized religion. The "Name it and Claim it" / "Prosperity Gospel" thing really turned me off. I was treasurer for a church where, after church, the pastor rushed up to where we were counting the money and said "What did we rake in?" every Sunday. That really bothered me.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    That's why I separated myself from organized religion. The "Name it and Claim it" / "Prosperity Gospel" thing really turned me off. I was treasurer for a church where, after church, the pastor rushed up to where we were counting the money and said "What did we rake in?" every Sunday. That really bothered me.
    This is one MORE area where the Jewish congregations have it above Christians. I've always thought devoting 15 minutes to a collection plate pass-around was a waste of time. Synagogue congregations...their members make a yearly pledge (like some Protestant sects) and then they are billed, once a month. Mail in the check. Never any mention of the money in Sabbath services. I've never been invited to a service, but I'm sure there's a drop box for non-members to contribute...quietly.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    My father, who was a partner at a big 3 accounting firm, volunteered his accounting services for our local parish. After the first year, he declined further involvement in that role, as the Monsignor was not altogether on the up and up with the parish finances. So like all small "businesses", there are a lot of shenanigans going on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Molly Pitcher (05-05-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teeceetx View Post
    My father, who was a partner at a big 3 accounting firm, volunteered his accounting services for our local parish. After the first year, he declined further involvement in that role, as the Monsignor was not altogether on the up and up with the parish finances. So like all small "businesses", there are a lot of shenanigans going on.
    Yes. I know of a pastor who had a family member that needed financial help so he tried to organize a "Give to the poor" thing at his church so that his richer relatives could funnel their money to the family members who needed help through the church and have it give them tax credit. He was astonished when the church board realized what was going on and shut it down.

Thread Information