User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Hello, I'm new here

  1. #11
    Free Bird - V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    OldSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,260
    Thanks
    5,989
    Thanked: 5,794
    Rep Power
    21474846
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplainswalker View Post
    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum and possibly got off to a bad start because I didn't post here first. But I can try to undo that damage but just posting my positions. I consider myself a small "c" conservative, in which I mean that I generally lean libertarian. My favorite podcast is the Thomas Jefferson Hour:

    https://jeffersonhour.com/

    (Shameless Plug. I love it) Jefferson said that “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” I subscribe to that. I don't want government anywhere it doesn't need to be. Having said that, "where it needs to be" is the actual debate, and that's what I like talking about.

    I'm posting this because my first discussion on this forum was in a topic about global warming, where I was accused of being a liberal. I am not a liberal. I am for progressive polices only in situations where I actually believe they will increase human freedom, which possibly makes me somewhat radical.

    In any case, what I really want is some good discussions about topics.
    Thanks for posting here and explaining. I missed your other posts, but on this alone, I'm saying "welcome".

    And, thanks for the link. Interesting.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

    Abraham Lincoln

  2. #12
    Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

    Traddles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    20 Miles SE of Facebook
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    3,030
    Thanked: 13,433
    Rep Power
    21474848
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I think it's worth giving this new person a fair chance.
    Like the chef said, "Give peas a chance."

    I take people as I find them, and this was the first I'd seen of you, @mrplainswalker. I also leave pigeon holes to pigeons until I see an actual pattern of ideas. So for now, welcome, and maybe I'll be seeing you around.
    Last edited by Traddles; 04-29-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Traddles

    SVPete

    PeteS in CA

  3. #13
    Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 28.0%

    darroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,771
    Thanks
    11,951
    Thanked: 1,634
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    6680942
    We sometimes need new ideas.

  4. #14
    Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    mrplainswalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 9
    Rep Power
    858996
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita Marley View Post
    Maybe we had a misunderstanding. I thought you were proposing taxpayer investment in green energy, which is the opposite of what you say here.

    Private R&D is where it's at. Much less wasteful when you're spending your own money.
    I mean, I guess you could make an argument for taxpayer investment. That's what got us to the moon first. But I would need to see the argument. In general I think that private enterprise is more efficient at finding solutions that people want.

  5. #15
    V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 70.0%

    Hillofbeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    9,809
    Thanks
    18,204
    Thanked: 12,116
    Rep Power
    21474849
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplainswalker View Post
    I mean, I guess you could make an argument for taxpayer investment. That's what got us to the moon first. But I would need to see the argument. In general I think that private enterprise is more efficient at finding solutions that people want.
    Government impedes progress, they do nothing with private investment other than raise taxes and create regulations.

  6. #16
    Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 73.0%

    Trinnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    56,858
    Thanks
    8,106
    Thanked: 47,341
    Rep Power
    21474899
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplainswalker View Post
    I mean, I guess you could make an argument for taxpayer investment. That's what got us to the moon first. But I would need to see the argument. In general I think that private enterprise is more efficient at finding solutions that people want.
    Supposedly we're going back to the moon (NASA) in the next very few years. I'm looking forward to that. For starters, they can film the surface in color. Even if it's grey, there might still be value in it. And more exploration of the moon in general. I am really excited about it.
    If you don't protect what belongs to you, sooner or later it belongs to someone else. -Negan

    The Obama administration was nothing more than highly organized crime. -Common

  7. #17
    Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 92.0%

    JustPassinThru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New California
    Posts
    54,526
    Thanks
    11,048
    Thanked: 41,551
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    21474896
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplainswalker View Post
    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum and possibly got off to a bad start because I didn't post here first. But I can try to undo that damage but just posting my positions. I consider myself a small "c" conservative, in which I mean that I generally lean libertarian. My favorite podcast is the Thomas Jefferson Hour:

    https://jeffersonhour.com/

    (Shameless Plug. I love it) Jefferson said that “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” I subscribe to that. I don't want government anywhere it doesn't need to be. Having said that, "where it needs to be" is the actual debate, and that's what I like talking about.

    I'm posting this because my first discussion on this forum was in a topic about global warming, where I was accused of being a liberal. I am not a liberal. I am for progressive polices only in situations where I actually believe they will increase human freedom, which possibly makes me somewhat radical.

    In any case, what I really want is some good discussions about topics.
    Here's a tip:

    We all use labels but there's no point in packaging yourself that way out the gate. We can decide with time, whether we agree, or wish to discuss, or want to bash you.

    And of course only people who are posturing are ideologically pure. We have people here who hold many conservative principles but who use pot. We have libertarians who want the tech companies busted up. Views are views; and sometimes they don't make sense or are counterproductive. It's part of what we discuss here.

  8. #18
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

    Rickity Plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    23,856
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked: 21,810
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Welcome @mrplainswalker .


    How did you arrive at that name?

    Do you get out and walk around South Dakota and Nebraska ?



  9. #19
    Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

    Traddles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    20 Miles SE of Facebook
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    3,030
    Thanked: 13,433
    Rep Power
    21474848
    Welcome!!!
    Traddles

    SVPete

    PeteS in CA

  10. #20
    Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    mrplainswalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 9
    Rep Power
    858996
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Here's a tip:

    We all use labels but there's no point in packaging yourself that way out the gate. We can decide with time, whether we agree, or wish to discuss, or want to bash you.

    And of course only people who are posturing are ideologically pure. We have people here who hold many conservative principles but who use pot. We have libertarians who want the tech companies busted up. Views are views; and sometimes they don't make sense or are counterproductive. It's part of what we discuss here.
    Well, I can only use up so much time to write a summary. I have varying views. I'm not a monolithic supporter of any particular party. I go on a case by case basis.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •