Free Bird - V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplainswalker View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and possibly got off to a bad start because I didn't post here first. But I can try to undo that damage but just posting my positions. I consider myself a small "c" conservative, in which I mean that I generally lean libertarian. My favorite podcast is the Thomas Jefferson Hour:

https://jeffersonhour.com/

(Shameless Plug. I love it) Jefferson said that “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” I subscribe to that. I don't want government anywhere it doesn't need to be. Having said that, "where it needs to be" is the actual debate, and that's what I like talking about.

I'm posting this because my first discussion on this forum was in a topic about global warming, where I was accused of being a liberal. I am not a liberal. I am for progressive polices only in situations where I actually believe they will increase human freedom, which possibly makes me somewhat radical.

In any case, what I really want is some good discussions about topics.
    Thanks for posting here and explaining. I missed your other posts, but on this alone, I'm saying "welcome".

And, thanks for the link. Interesting.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I think it's worth giving this new person a fair chance.
    Like the chef said, "Give peas a chance."

I take people as I find them, and this was the first I'd seen of you, @mrplainswalker. I also leave pigeon holes to pigeons until I see an actual pattern of ideas. So for now, welcome, and maybe I'll be seeing you around.
    Last edited by Traddles; 04-29-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We sometimes need new ideas.

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita Marley View Post
    Maybe we had a misunderstanding. I thought you were proposing taxpayer investment in green energy, which is the opposite of what you say here.

Private R&D is where it's at. Much less wasteful when you're spending your own money.
    I mean, I guess you could make an argument for taxpayer investment. That's what got us to the moon first. But I would need to see the argument. In general I think that private enterprise is more efficient at finding solutions that people want.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    I mean, I guess you could make an argument for taxpayer investment. That's what got us to the moon first. But I would need to see the argument. In general I think that private enterprise is more efficient at finding solutions that people want.
    Government impedes progress, they do nothing with private investment other than raise taxes and create regulations.

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 73.0%

Thanks
    Supposedly we're going back to the moon (NASA) in the next very few years. I'm looking forward to that. For starters, they can film the surface in color. Even if it's grey, there might still be value in it. And more exploration of the moon in general. I am really excited about it.
    If you don't protect what belongs to you, sooner or later it belongs to someone else. -Negan

The Obama administration was nothing more than highly organized crime. -Common

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 92.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and possibly got off to a bad start because I didn't post here first. But I can try to undo that damage but just posting my positions. I consider myself a small "c" conservative, in which I mean that I generally lean libertarian. My favorite podcast is the Thomas Jefferson Hour:

https://jeffersonhour.com/

(Shameless Plug. I love it) Jefferson said that “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” I subscribe to that. I don't want government anywhere it doesn't need to be. Having said that, "where it needs to be" is the actual debate, and that's what I like talking about.

I'm posting this because my first discussion on this forum was in a topic about global warming, where I was accused of being a liberal. I am not a liberal. I am for progressive polices only in situations where I actually believe they will increase human freedom, which possibly makes me somewhat radical.

In any case, what I really want is some good discussions about topics.
    Here's a tip:

We all use labels but there's no point in packaging yourself that way out the gate. We can decide with time, whether we agree, or wish to discuss, or want to bash you.

And of course only people who are posturing are ideologically pure. We have people here who hold many conservative principles but who use pot. We have libertarians who want the tech companies busted up. Views are views; and sometimes they don't make sense or are counterproductive. It's part of what we discuss here.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    Welcome @mrplainswalker .

How did you arrive at that name?

Do you get out and walk around South Dakota and Nebraska ?

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Welcome!!!
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Here's a tip:

We all use labels but there's no point in packaging yourself that way out the gate. We can decide with time, whether we agree, or wish to discuss, or want to bash you.

And of course only people who are posturing are ideologically pure. We have people here who hold many conservative principles but who use pot. We have libertarians who want the tech companies busted up. Views are views; and sometimes they don't make sense or are counterproductive. It's part of what we discuss here.
    Well, I can only use up so much time to write a summary. I have varying views. I'm not a monolithic supporter of any particular party. I go on a case by case basis.

Thread Information