User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McDonald's worker, 23, fired after picking up bill for hungry first responders

Alumni Member & VIP
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks

McDonald's worker, 23, fired after picking up bill for hungry first responders

A McDonald's worker who picked up the bill for hungry first responders after they battled local fires has returned to work to find she no longer has a job.

Heather Levia, a 23-year-old single mother who works two jobs in Olean, New York, said she simply wanted to show her appreciation for two groups of firefighters working in sub-zero temperatures.
    So when a group of firefighters came into the store, where Levia was working a morning shift as manager last week, and ordered 25 sandwiches, she took $83 from her own wallet to pay for it.
    'Just because I appreciate everything they do,' she explained to WIVB.

+4

Fired: Heather Levia, 23, lost her job after she paid for firefighters' breakfast out of her pocket

But later that morning, another department came in and ordered $70 worth of food.
    Desperate to treat these emergency responders too, she texted her boss to see if the company would foot the bill, aware that they often bought food for police officers, Levia said.
    But the boss said that Levia would not be allowed to donate the sandwiches. So Levia tried the corporate offices instead - but she got the same answer.

Refusing to let the firefighters pay, she and two workers paid from their own pockets. But some emergency responders called her boss to complain, saying they had made her feel obligated.
    'You opened a whole bees' nest,' her boss reportedly told Levia.
    When she returned the next day, she was fired. Her co-workers who also chipped in for the bill did not lose their jobs.

+4

Denial: She had asked her bosses if they donated food, but was told they did not. The company says it did not fire her for paying for the food - but because she swore at a superior, which she denies

+4

Thankful: Allegany Fire Media Officer Gordon Scott said he was shocked to hear Levia had been fired

Her boss claimed she had sworn at a superior, but Levia, who has worked for the company for eight years and is putting herself through nursing school, said that's not true.
    'I did say this is "freaking" ridiculous,' she admitted. 'But it was not implied to anybody.'
    Tom Meyers, the owner of the Olean McDonald's said the company was an 'ardent supporter' of local first responders.
    'We are aware that certain allegations have been made concerning the reasons for Heather Leviaís termination,' he said. 'Out of respect for Ms. Levia and her privacy, it would not be appropriate to comment in detail on the reasons she is no longer employed by our organization.
    'Still, it should be pointed out that the allegations are absolutely not true. We would never penalize an employee for showing appropriate gratitude for the work of our firefighters.'

+4

Generous: Levia is a single mother to twin girls but said she has already had other job offers

Allegany firefighters said they were saddened to hear Levia had been fired.
    'It was a shock,' said Allegany Fire Media Officer Gordon Scott. 'It was a sad affair because a gentleman lost a home [in the fire]. And it's even worse because we know now that this gal apparently lost her job because of it.'

Levia, mother to two young twin girls, said she is putting the ordeal behind her and has already received several job offers after her story gained local press.

She added: 'I wish the communities would change and help each other out... And if losing my job is going to speak out to the community, then thatís what itís going to do.'
    *You can take the boy out of Indonesia, but you can't take the Sunni-colored glasses off the Muslim-raised boy.*

Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Refusing to let the firefighters pay, she and two workers paid from their own pockets. But some emergency responders called her boss to complain, saying they had made her feel obligated.
    No good deed goes unpunished. (And, actually, she shouldn't have gone over her boss's head, nor should she have tried to pull this off while the firemen were in the store.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

usfan (02-21-2014)

Ariel Looney
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    I believe that McDonald's are franchises, so she may have asked the site owner, and when refused,

kicked it up to Corporate, which would have saved the owner the cost of the food.

It's truly a shame that neither of the Big Wigs could afford what she and a couple of co-workers could.

I'd imagine that the store's owner will catch some major backflash ( ) out of this,

but from the owner's point of view,

I can see how they would not want to make this a store policy.

Quote Originally Posted by CBHype View Post
    Something is fishy here!

Thanks
    The girl's work history may have played a role in her termination. But, she should never have put anyone on the spot like this.

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    The girl's work history may have played a role in her termination. But, she should never have put anyone on the spot like this.

This is SO WONDERFUL!

Now she has time to pursue her hobbies!!!
    DON'T BLAME ME, I DIDN'T VOTE FOR THE FOOL!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan40 For This Useful Post:

Archer (02-21-2014),DonGlock26 (02-21-2014),Irascible Crusader (02-22-2014),Perianne (02-20-2014),pragmatic (02-22-2014)

Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    It seems to me that $ 83 for a mother of two working at McDonalds is an awful lot of money. Even as a manager, that had to be quite a sacrifice on her part. And if you look up that city on a map youíll see it definitely falls into blue collar territory, far away from the wacky portions of New York. Toss in the fact that she worked there since she was 15 and the puzzle pieces are not quite adding up. Iím sure there is more to the story.

Whatever the rest of the story might be, Iím sure the owner of that McDonalds is taking a lot of heat. Hard working blue collar Americans donít easily forget a story like this and Iíll bet good money sales in that store have dropped a good bit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foghorn For This Useful Post:

Coolwalker (02-21-2014)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    A: "Refusing to let the firefighters pay, she and two workers paid from their own pockets. But some emergency responders called her boss to complain, saying they had made her feel obligated."

B: "
    But later that morning, another department came in and ordered $70 worth of food."

This case shows why the nonsense of "freebies" for government employees should be illegal. The firefighters admitted, apparently, that they made her feel "obligated" to give them free food. Obviously, if the fire disrupted meal times for the firefighters and they had to buy food then the fire department should have paid for it. I wonder how close "made her feel obligated" came to extortion.

And then, when the word spread that there was free food at McDonalds the rush was on with another agency showing up to order $70 worth of "free" food.

An officer who left our department, in part, because on rules prohibiting free meals which he felt were an example of a rigidity that was wrong asked to return. He had hired on a big city department and when he was a rookie he was assigned to write tickets to jaywalkers going to a restaurant which wouldn't give the officers free meals. When the restaurant relented the jaywalking tickets for customers ended.

When I was a young officer I stopped a car for a traffic violation. The driver of the car said, "I'm the manager of the Village Inn Pancake House." When I didn't say anything he said, "Have you been getting free meals at my restaurant?"
    "No. I don't take free meals."
    "Well, a lot of your buddies do."
    "It's a shame one of them didn't stop you, isn't it?"

And I enjoyed the night the drunken driver asked if I'd seen his Fraternal Order of Police bumper tag. It meant he'd given them money. I smiled and said, "I'm not in the union."

Of course, I'm sorry the woman lost her job. When the franchise owner told her they wouldn't pay for the meals she should have passed the bad news to the firefighters. They should also quit giving free meals to cops.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

usfan (02-21-2014)

Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I have never been in a situation where I had a "superior" at a mcdonalds...... I am sure there are plenty of minimum wage jobs for this wonderful person.

Seems like there should be more to this story, boss man was probably pissed for her going over his head.

Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    A: "Refusing to let the firefighters pay, she and two workers paid from their own pockets. But some emergency responders called her boss to complain, saying they had made her feel obligated."

B: "
    But later that morning, another department came in and ordered $70 worth of food."

This case shows why the nonsense of "freebies" for government employees should be illegal. The firefighters admitted, apparently, that they made her feel "obligated" to give them free food. Obviously, if the fire disrupted meal times for the firefighters and they had to buy food then the fire department should have paid for it. I wonder how close "made her feel obligated" came to extortion.

And then, when the word spread that there was free food at McDonalds the rush was on with another agency showing up to order $70 worth of "free" food.

An officer who left our department, in part, because on rules prohibiting free meals which he felt were an example of a rigidity that was wrong asked to return. He had hired on a big city department and when he was a rookie he was assigned to write tickets to jaywalkers going to a restaurant which wouldn't give the officers free meals. When the restaurant relented the jaywalking tickets for customers ended.

When I was a young officer I stopped a car for a traffic violation. The driver of the car said, "I'm the manager of the Village Inn Pancake House." When I didn't say anything he said, "Have you been getting free meals at my restaurant?"
    "No. I don't take free meals."
    "Well, a lot of your buddies do."
    "It's a shame one of them didn't stop you, isn't it?"

And I enjoyed the night the drunken driver asked if I'd seen his Fraternal Order of Police bumper tag. It meant he'd given them money. I smiled and said, "I'm not in the union."

Of course, I'm sorry the woman lost her job. When the franchise owner told her they wouldn't pay for the meals she should have passed the bad news to the firefighters. They should also quit giving free meals to cops.
    The firefighters did not make her feel obligated.

When they accepted the free food, they thought Mcdonald's was treating them.

When they found out SHE did, they thought McDonald's had made her feel obligated to do so, that is why they complained. On her behalf, not for free meals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:

Cal (02-21-2014)

Thanks
    The bimbo should have been fired.