User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Prison Escapee Charges Cop With Crowbar, Gets Shot Down [VIDEO]

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

Thanks

Oklahoma Prison Escapee Charges Cop With Crowbar, Gets Shot Down [VIDEO]

Oklahoma Prison Escapee Charges Cop With Crowbar, Gets Shot Down [VIDEO]

BY JOHN BOCH |
    APR 20, 2019 |

Youtube capture via Oklahoma City Police.

An Oklahoma Department of Corrections escapee reportedly beat a homeless man over the head with a baseball bat before he met his match in an Oklahoma City police officer. When Kirk Dustin Shields charged the cop with a crowbar or pipe, the cop initially ran for his life to create some distance. In doing so, he gave himself some time to implement a successful counter-attack.
    In the end, Officer Brandon Lee deployed his GLOCK and fired to stop his attacker. Watch the dramatic scene play out on bodycam footage (NSFW language):

Body cam footage shows an officer-involved shooting of a Department of Corrections escapee.
    On Jan. 30, 2019 at 6:07 p.m., Officer Brandon Lee arrived at West Park Place and Linn Avenue. He observed the suspect, Kirk Dustin Shields, in front of 2608 West Park Place, who had a crowbar-type object in his hand. The suspect ran to the east, and Officer Lee pursued him.
    The suspect turned, faced the officer and charged the officer. Officer Lee used his taser on the suspect, but this did not stop the suspect’s pursuit.
    Officer Lee discharged his firearm and struck the suspect.
    An earlier story from January has more background on the incident, and the violent nature of the offender who attacked Officer Lee. From News Oklahoma:
    An escaped Oklahoma Department of Corrections inmate shot by a police officer Wednesday night in northwest Oklahoma City had attacked a homeless man with a baseball bat, police reported.
    Kirk Dustin Shields, 38, who walked away from the Carver Transitional Center halfway house earlier in the day, was shot by officer Brandon Lee about 6 p.m.
    Lee had responded to a report of a man looking into houses in the 2600 block of W Park Place. Lee found Shields holding a tire tool in his hand, said police Capt. Bo Mathews.
    Shields ran from Lee, and Lee followed him until Shields turned and charged, Mathews said. Lee then fired a Taser but it did not stop him, and Lee fired his gun and hit Shields. Shields was taken to a hospital where he was treated for a wound that was not life-threatening, police said.
    Shortly after Shields was shot, Earl Wayne Alexander, 33, a homeless man, walked up to officers at the scene. Alexander was bleeding from the head when he told officers that Shields had attacked him with a baseball bat near N May and W Park Place, Mathews said.

Alexander was taken to OU Medical Center where he was in fair condition Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
    Shields has past convictions on larceny, burglary and eluding police, court records show.

Cop or civilian: if someone charges after you with a knife or blunt force instrument, the first order of business is to create distance if possible and/or put obstacles between you and the bad guy. Even if you have a weapon in hand. Distance and/or obstacles give(s) you time and time gives you options.
    Some may say, “If you have your pistol in hand, why do you need to retreat to create distance?” Simple. Handgun rounds don’t put people down like in Hollywood. Even if you administer a fatal wound on the bad guy, he may need some time to bleed out. In that time, if he busts your melon open with his crowbar before he realizes his goose is cooked (or because he realizes his goose is cooked), that’s not a win for the home team.
    Once more, handguns don’t deliver reliable, instant stops. Here’s one of my favorite (NSFW because of language) Clint Smith videos on the topic of terminal ballistics.

Spoiler:
    “Shotguns, at the right range with the right load, will physically remove a chunk of (stuff) off your opponent and throw that (stuff) on the floor. And you’ll have to get someone to come in and clean the (stuff) up with a shovel.”
    Officer Brandon Lee performed in a textbook manner, turning and running after his TASER failed to stop the aggressor. That few seconds he bought by running allowed him opportunity to draw and engage with his sidearm, stopping the threat before the threat stopped him.
    Well done, sir.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. — Robert Heinlein

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (04-20-2019),Brat (04-20-2019),darroll (04-20-2019),Kris P Bacon (04-20-2019),Lone Gunman (04-20-2019),Madison (04-20-2019),Montana (04-20-2019),teeceetx (04-20-2019),US Conservative (04-21-2019)

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Must be fake! The guy the police officer shot is white!
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (04-20-2019),Big Dummy (04-20-2019),Brat (04-20-2019),Lone Gunman (04-20-2019),teeceetx (04-20-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddles View Post
    Must be fake! The guy the police officer shot is white!
    Had the guy been black or illegal 3 lawyers would have showed up before the back up arrived.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (04-20-2019),Big Dummy (04-20-2019),Hillofbeans (04-20-2019),jirqoadai (04-20-2019),Lone Gunman (04-20-2019),Madison (04-20-2019),teeceetx (04-20-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    Looked like one of the shots snapped his right arm, it looked like a wet noodle.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (04-20-2019),jirqoadai (04-20-2019),Lone Gunman (04-20-2019),teeceetx (04-20-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks
    The cop needs some shooting practice.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (04-20-2019),Fins (04-20-2019),teeceetx (04-20-2019)

2020 --> TRUMP! Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Oh well, if your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    Poor cops gonna be doing paper work all week over that dumb shit.
    “About abortion, I don’t want to make it illegal, I want to make it unthinkable." - Frank Stephens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bird For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (04-20-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    The cop needs some shooting practice.
    Your kidding right. He hit a moving target while he was moving, under stress with an elevated heartbeat.

I thought he did a great job, real easy to shoot straight while your standing comfortably at the range shooting a stationary piece of paper. It’s something totally different when everything is moving and your under stress.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (04-20-2019),Big Dummy (04-20-2019),Kris P Bacon (04-20-2019)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Your kidding right. He hit a moving target while he was moving, under stress with an elevated heartbeat.

I thought he did a great job, real easy to shoot straight while your standing comfortably at the range shooting a stationary piece of paper. It’s something totally different when everything is moving and your under stress.
    The cop had the advantage when he found the convict behind the house. He fired and missed, then ran away like a little girl. Way too many cops only fire their weapons when it’s time to qualify. I’d bet a franklin that the rest of the department is busting his balls like crazy for running away. He should be stuck on a desk and left there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    The cop had the advantage when he found the convict behind the house. He fired and missed, then ran away like a little girl. Way too many cops only fire their weapons when it’s time to qualify. I’d bet a franklin that the rest of the department is busting his balls like crazy for running away. He should be stuck on a desk and left there.
    Stick with your day job, I’m guessing it’s not to dangerous your observation skills are sorely lacking. He shot him with a taser behind the house that did not stop the convict from rushing him with the crowbar, he got out of the fatal funnel and then dropped the attacker while moving and shooting with only his strong hand. The only thing fellow cops are laughing at is your post.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (04-20-2019)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Stick with your day job, I’m guessing it’s not to dangerous your observation skills are sorely lacking. He shot him with a taser behind the house that did not stop the convict from rushing him with the crowbar, he got out of the fatal funnel and then dropped the attacker while moving and shooting with only his strong hand. The only thing fellow cops are laughing at is your post.
    I’ll give you, I missed it was a taser. For some reason the embedded videos on this site won’t go full screen on an iPad. But he saw the suspect and followed him around the house. He should have had his sidearm to begin with. And he still needs to go back to the range.

Thread Information