User Tag List

Thread: Words matter....

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Words matter....

I know I'm a bit pedantic but words to matter. Words define how we think. I was reading a novel this morning and read about a suicide that was euthanasia. That's not possible. Suicide and euthanasia are antonyms, except in LibSpeak. The distinction between suicide and euthanasia is who decides the person would be better off dead. If George decides George would be better off dead it's suicide even if a doctor or a relative or a neighbor helps him. If Roger decides George would be better off dead it's murder, no matter how nice the murder was.

As I see Democrats raging in the throes of the Trump Derangement Syndrome, I can't help but believe they would be better off dead but if I go around killing them, even if they're no longer miserable, it's murder. It's not euthanasia.

When a Democrat and I were discussing late-term abortions and I referred to killing a baby she said, "We don't consider it killing."

"Well, I can understand that because I've never considered strangling a Democrat as killing, either." Words matter. The woman recently who argued a baby moments after birth wasn't a baby is a fool and a liberal, a redundancy, and the words matter.

Euthanasia is murder, it is not assisted-suicide. Assisted-suicide is assisted-suicide. The difference is simply who made the decision that it was time to die.
    Last edited by patrickt; 04-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (04-13-2019),DeadEye (04-13-2019),HawkTheSlayer (04-13-2019),IvanLeFou (04-14-2019),Jen (04-13-2019),Jim Scott (04-13-2019),Lone Gunman (04-13-2019),MisterVeritis (04-13-2019),NORAD (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Leftists have been manipulating the language for many years. Examples abound: e.g. 'investments' for taxes, 'choice' for abortion and the old favorite for leftists: 'fair'.

Most of the syntax violations by the left are intended to obscure policies they know are unpalatable to the average American so they obfuscate and deceive. Thus, the oh-so clever use of euphemisms and misapplied words to bolster things such as 'marriage equality' for legalizing same-sex marriage and 'transgender' for sexual identity aberrations.

While many of us are not fooled by this literary legerdemain, enough are to make it worthwhile for the left to keep employing it, then trying to enshrine it as 'politically correct speech', which is simply censorship.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Scott; 04-13-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    "Need" now means wanting someone else's (taxpayer) money. "Greed" means wanting to keep your own profit. "Compassion" is when a politician arranges the transfer. - Joseph Sobran

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jim Scott For This Useful Post:

Brat (04-13-2019),Conservative Libertarian (04-13-2019),Dave37 (04-13-2019),DeadEye (04-13-2019),East of the Beast (04-13-2019),HawkTheSlayer (04-13-2019),Jen (04-13-2019),Lone Gunman (04-13-2019),NORAD (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When the left includes the liberal media and many people consider their use of language to set the standard we see the problem growing. There was a time when reporters, for all their faults, could write. Those days are gone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Jen (04-13-2019),NORAD (04-14-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    According to the Left, they are the deciders of what words mean. They don't believe abortion is killing a baby therefore - it isn't.

If anyone else tries to do this great and overarching deciding, it is ridiculed and worse. If we say euthanasia is murder or abortion is murder, it doesn't fly with those Lefties. Apparently they are the only ones who get to decide those things.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Jim Scott (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Marriage

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Gender.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rita Marley For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (04-13-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Question: If you were discussing important issues with a neighbor over beers and they started throwing out the standard buzzwords, wouldn't you pin them down for more precise definitions?

Sure you would, it's not only natural but logical as well.

Say the neighbor suggests, "big business need to pay their fair share", you'd ask them to define "fair share". There's no point in trying to have a meaningful discussion unless they provide something more tangible. Something to grab onto. Otherwise you'd be wasting your time discussing phantoms.

If you and I would pin them down to discuss something more tangible why don't hosts on TV do the same? (Some do, most don't) And why don't our elected Republican leaders do the same?

Pin them down, make them stand and deliver.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes, words matter. Words like dedication, perseverance, duty, honor, morals, values and a willingness to do ones duty to God, Country and Family. These words made America Great and Powerful. Our enemies had best pay attention to these words.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Yes, words matter. Words like dedication, perseverance, duty, honor, morals, values and a willingness to do ones duty to God, Country and Family. These words made America Great and Powerful. Our enemies had best pay attention to these words.
    When my son's English teacher taught that spelling, grammar, punctuation, and structure were all social constructs that weren't important I decided it was time for supplementary home-schooling.

One of the things I taught my son was that you can think of tables, trees, dogs, and toenails with pictures. To think about honesty, decency, loyalty, patriotism, and bravery requires abstract words and the ability to use them well. After a little homework he understood and agreed.

Unfortunately, liberals have no need to think about honesty, decency, loyalty, patriotism, or bravery. They have pictures for each. Harry Reid for honesty, Bill Clinton for decency, Barack Obama for loyalty, John Kerry for patriotism, and Hillary Clinton for bravery.

Thread Information