User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easter Week Reflections

Senior Member Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Since the Bible states that Christ is the Passover sacrifice (1 Co. 5:7) and that he observed the Passover meal the evening before he was put to death, the date of his death would be Nisan 14 (on the Jewish calendar) in order to fulfill accurately the time feature of the type, or shadow, provided in the Law.​-- Heb. 10;1.
    Jesus introduced this observance after sundown on Nisan 14, 33 C.E., according to the Bible’s lunar calendar. (Matt. 26:18-20,26) Following the practice of early followers of Christ, Christians were to observe that memorial on this date each year.
    Although Nisan 14, 33 C.E. was a Friday, the anniversary of that date might fall on a different day of the week each year. Nisan 14 falls each year using the same method as was used in the time of Jesus, rather than applying the method used for the modern Jewish calendar. Last year it would have been April 15th.

Herod the Great and Jesus: Chronological, Historical and ...

The Date of Death of Jesus of Nazareth - Jstor

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Since the Bible states that Christ is the Passover sacrifice (1 Co. 5:7) and that he observed the Passover meal the evening before he was put to death, the date of his death would be Nisan 14 (on the Jewish calendar) in order to fulfill accurately the time feature of the type, or shadow, provided in the Law.​-- Heb. 10;1.
    Jesus introduced this observance after sundown on Nisan 14, 33 C.E., according to the Bible’s lunar calendar. (Matt. 26:18-20,26) Following the practice of early followers of Christ, Christians were to observe that memorial on this date each year.
    Although Nisan 14, 33 C.E. was a Friday, the anniversary of that date might fall on a different day of the week each year. Nisan 14 falls each year using the same method as was used in the time of Jesus, rather than applying the method used for the modern Jewish calendar. Last year it would have been April 15th.

The Jewish Calendar, a Lunar Eclipse and the Date of Christ's ...

The Date of Death of Jesus of Nazareth - Jstor

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @CWF

Actually...

the Bible states that Christ is the Passover sacrifice (1 Co. 5:7) and that he observed the Passover meal the evening before he was put to death, the date of his death would be Nisan 14 (on the Jewish calendar) in order to fulfill accurately the time feature of the type, or shadow, provided in the Law.​-- Heb. 10:1.

The Jewish Calendar, a Lunar Eclipse and the Date of Christ's ...

Herod the Great and Jesus: Chronological, Historical and ...

Last edited by S-N-A-F-U; 04-14-2019 at 08:41 AM.

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Following the practice of early followers of Christ, Christians were to observe that memorial on this date each year.
    Judging from references in the book of Acts and 1 Corinthians 11, I think the church observed communion or the Eucharist much more often, even multiple times a week. The Scriptures don't specify timing. Timing was an area of freedom, and the purpose was giving thanks and an expression of unity.

ETA: I'm tired, sweaty, and hungry after doing a 10K, so I'm not dodging including quotes from Acts and 1 Corinthians 11. I'm hitting the shower.
    Last edited by Traddles; 04-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn't know because they might reflect badly on Democrats. - Jim Treacher

VIP V.I.P Achievements:

Thanks
    Every day they continued to gather together by common consent in the temple courts, breaking bread from house to house, sharing their food with glad and humble hearts, praising God and having the good will of all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number every day those who were being saved. Acts 2:46-47

While this could be understood, in context, as meals being shared rather than communion, 1 Corinthians 11 indicates that the custom in Corinth, and therefore probably in Jerusalem, was both a community meal and communion. However frequency of observance is not commanded. Jehovah's witnesses observe once a year, as do, probably, the various Bible Students groups (I think this understanding dates back to Charles T. Russell's time). Catholics observe the Eucharist at just about every mass (even at a requiem?). Campbellites expect members of their churches to receive communion weekly. The Lutheran church in which I grew up had communion twice a month; I think the Baptist church I currently attend does monthly.

Now in giving the following instruction I do not praise you, because you come together not for the better but for the worse. For in the first place, when you come together as a church I hear there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. For there must in fact be divisions among you, so that those of you who are approved may be evident. Now when you come together at the same place, you are not really eating the Lord’s Supper. For when it is time to eat, everyone proceeds with his own supper. One is hungry and another becomes drunk. Do you not have houses so that you can eat and drink? Or are you trying to show contempt for the church of God by shaming those who have nothing? What should I say to you? Should I praise you? I will not praise you for this!

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night in which he was betrayed took bread, and after he had given thanks he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, he also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, every time you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For every time you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

For this reason, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. A person should examine himself first, and in this way let him eat the bread and drink of the cup. For the one who eats and drinks without careful regard for the body eats and drinks judgment against himself. That is why many of you are weak and sick, and quite a few are dead. But if we examined ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned with the world. So then, my brothers and sisters, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, so that when you assemble it does not lead to judgment. I will give directions about other matters when I come.
    1 Corinthians 11:17-34
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn't know because they might reflect badly on Democrats. - Jim Treacher

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 73.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddles View Post
    Palm Sunday Meditation

Today, “Palm Sunday,” is the beginning of Holy Week in Christian tradition. It is the commencement a sudden total reversal of public reaction to Jesus under the nudging and urging of the Jewish religious and political leaders. On Palm Sunday Jesus entered Jerusalem to loud public acclaim, including the laudatory waving of palm branches from which the holiday derives its name:

After He had said these things, He was going on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. When He approached Bethphage and Bethany, near the mount that is called Olivet, He sent two of the disciples, saying, "Go into the village ahead of you; there, as you enter, you will find a colt tied on which no one yet has ever sat; untie it and bring it here. "If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' you shall say, 'The Lord has need of it.'" So those who were sent went away and found it just as He had told them. As they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, "Why are you untying the colt?" They said, "The Lord has need of it." They brought it to Jesus, and they threw their coats on the colt and put Jesus on it. As He was going, they were spreading their coats on the road. As soon as He was approaching, near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles which they had seen, shouting : "BLESSED IS THE KING WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD ; Peace in heaven and glory in the highest !" Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples." But Jesus answered, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" (Luke 19:28-40, NASB)

It was, for Jesus, much less joyful. He knew where He was headed, what would soon happen to Him and what would happen in just 4 decades to Jerusalem. And He understood the fickleness of people and popularity. The coming week was the culmination of His purpose in life. But the sadness He expressed was not focused on Himself:

When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, "If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes. For the days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a barricade against you, and surround you and hem you in on every side, and they will level you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not recognize the time of your visitation." (Luke 19:41-44, NASB)

Jesus foreknew and foretold what would happen some 40 years later, the destruction of Jerusalem, the temple and its populace. The description of this event, written by the eyewitness Josephus, is painful reading.

So Palm Sunday is a grace note of triumph leading into a symphony of pain, for Jesus in the near term, and for the Jewish people in the long term. Yet, from another perspective, that grace note led off a triumphal concert lasting into eternity.
    "Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

-Zechariah 9:9.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rita Marley For This Useful Post:

Traddles (04-14-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita Marley View Post
    "Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

-Zechariah 9:9.
    Indeed! It's the kind of incident that gets people determined not to believe to conjure conspiracy theories or claims of made up stories.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    It's a myth that Jews were especially oppressed by the Romans; they enjoyed many privileges not extended to many other peoples, actually, and Nero's wife, if not Jewish herself, was certainly very friendly with the wealthy Jews living in Rome. Rome was mainly concerned with collecting taxes from their provinces, and didn't much care what the locals did otherwise as long as it wasn't seditious. The Jewish 'Establishment' at the time was highly racist and busy oppressing other Jewish tribes, which made them unpopular among their own people. 'Racial Purity' laws were extensive and detailed, alienating many Jews from their own culture, which is why when Christianity came along it was almost instantly popular even among some Pharisees, since it was actually more of a return to the old Mosaic covenants and culture that existed before the 'exiles returned and set themselves up as 'the real Jews' and Lords over 'everybody else', the 'inferior' Jews, with faked genealogies and the like. People still like to think of Jewish people as some sort of monolithic tribe with no differences among themselves, but that is far from the truth.

VIP V.I.P Achievements:

Thanks
    Monday Before Easter

Later on Palm Sunday and continuing into the week a clash of authority ensued that was, for the Jewish religious leaders, a fork in the road. They could repent and “lose everything”. Or they could harden their hearts, send Jesus to the cross, and retain what they had (not knowing they would lose it four decades later). On entering Jerusalem Jesus launched an attack on the high priest’s family’s lucrative money-changing and animal-selling monopoly-racket:

And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves. And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN." And the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them. But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that He had done, and the children who were shouting in the temple, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they became indignant and said to Him, "Do You hear what these children are saying ?" And Jesus said to them, "Yes; have you never read, 'OUT OF THE MOUTH OF INFANTS AND NURSING BABIES YOU HAVE PREPARED PRAISE FOR YOURSELF'?" And He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there. (Matthew 21:12-17, NASB)

These leaders who should have been teaching and caring for God's flock saw that flock as their own, to fleece, milk and abuse. When Jesus came back the next morning, the chief racketeers were still somewhat cowed by the high regard the people had for Jesus. Not yet ready to risk open conflict, they tried to intimidate Jesus into backing off by challenging his authority:

When He entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to Him while He was teaching, and said, "By what authority are You doing these things, and who gave You this authority?" Jesus said to them, "I will also ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John was from what source, from heaven or from men?" And they began reasoning among themselves, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say to us, 'Then why did you not believe him?' "But if we say, 'From men,' we fear the people; for they all regard John as a prophet." And answering Jesus, they said, "We do not know." He also said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things. (Matthew 21:23-27, NASB)

Jesus had trapped the would-be trappers, a battle of wits in which the leaders were the ones unarmed. Jesus well knew their authority and power and its temporal limits; He also knew something they did not want to contemplate, His own vastly greater eternal authority. He gave them “outs,” chances to change their course; ultimately their anger and violence would unwittingly fulfill His chosen destiny and purpose.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-16-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:

Thanks
    It's a myth that Jews were especially oppressed by the Romans; they enjoyed many privileges not extended to many other peoples, actually, and Nero's wife, if not Jewish herself, was certainly very friendly with the wealthy Jews living in Rome. Rome was mainly concerned with collecting taxes from their provinces, and didn't much care what the locals did otherwise as long as it wasn't seditious. The Jewish 'Establishment' at the time was highly racist and busy oppressing other Jewish tribes ...
    I do not recall having stated or implied that the Jewish people were "especially oppressed by the Romans". The Romans were equal opportunity oppressors and exploiters. They struck a balance between extracting wealth and keeping the people cowed, on one hand, and not being so oppressive that the mass of a population rose in revolt. As was shown around 70 AD their calculation was not perfect.

Tiberius was emperor at this time, and Caligula and Claudius followed him. Nero would not become emperor until around 25 years later. Nero's wife was Claudia Octavia, the daughter of the previous emperor, Claudius (and Nero's step sister, because Nero's mother, Agrippina, had married Claudius). The Julian emperors after Augustus were brutal messes, even by Roman standards.

The Jewish leaders of the time turned sacrifices into a lucrative racket, but exploited fellow Jews more or less alike. So there's no racism. There was what could be described as racism between Jews and Samaritans, but that strife had been going on for a couple of centuries, and was started by Samaritans attempts to oppress the Jews who returned from Babylon. Ethnically, the Samaritans were not Jews. They were mostly from people groups the Assyrians exiled from east of Mesopotamia, who also mixed with the relatively small remnant of Israelites who avoided being similarly exiled, also by the Assyrians. IOW, the Samaritans were not "Jewish tribes".

Moses' laws about marrying within one's tribe and keeping lands within ones' (tribe and) family are well beyond the scope of the historical context of Jesus' life and death. It's sufficient to point out that the laws given to the nation of Israel through Moses are Scripture and avowed by Jesus, multiple times (most directly and clearly in Matthew 5:17-19).
    Last edited by Traddles; 04-15-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information