User Tag List

Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363 ... LastLast

Thread: Random conversation

BANNED FOREVER Forum Donor Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group1 year registered
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Thanks
    Barry Goldwater was great! His speech on the religious right was well ahead of it's time. He called it correctly.

http://www.bluenc.com/barry-goldwate...and-gay-rights
    "The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.' "
    --Speech in the US Senate (16 September 1981)

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    --Said in November 1994, as quoted in John Dean, Conservatives Without Conscience (2006)

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass."
    --Said in July 1981 in response to Moral Majority founder Jerry Falwell's opposition to the nomination of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, of which Falwell had said, "Every good Christian should be concerned." Time Magazine, (20 July, 1981)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    Barry Goldwater was great! His speech on the religious right was well ahead of it's time. He called it correctly.

http://www.bluenc.com/barry-goldwate...and-gay-rights
    "The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.' "
    --Speech in the US Senate (16 September 1981)

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    --Said in November 1994, as quoted in John Dean, Conservatives Without Conscience (2006)

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass."
    --Said in July 1981 in response to Moral Majority founder Jerry Falwell's opposition to the nomination of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, of which Falwell had said, "Every good Christian should be concerned." Time Magazine, (20 July, 1981)
    Yea, going back in time is about the only way to find real conservatives anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

Trinnity (04-25-2014)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    oh. really. Conservatives disagree with your stand and they deny you votes or campaign cash. Well too. Freakin'. BAD. THAT is the way it works. If you don't like it, change parties...oh wait. Republicans already have.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    oh. really. Conservatives disagree with your stand and they deny you votes or campaign cash. Well too. Freakin'. BAD. THAT is the way it works. If you don't like it, change parties...oh wait. Republicans already have.
    What,, you want me to vote democrat? Some conservatives think Goldwater was a liberal. What do you think?

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    More of a libertarian, I'd say.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (04-25-2014)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    He sure was, with a dislike for the heavy hand of government.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

Invayne (04-26-2014)

OverdriveSocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group1 year registered

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Yea, going back in time is about the only way to find real conservatives anymore.
    Unfortunately true. All to often, I found myself paraphrasing Ronald Reagan in saying "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me". It's not the same party I joined in 1974.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

Invayne (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    What,, you want me to vote democrat? Some conservatives think Goldwater was a liberal. What do you think?
    That's the irony. Goldwater's nickname? "Mr. Conservative". When the Republican's started moving away from true conservatism and becoming polar opposite Liberals, Goldwater was attacked by a movement he helped form. He become more of an inspiration for Libertarians than "modern conservatives".

Just as modern liberals have sullied the meaning of liberalism, the liberalism our Founders knew, modern conservatives have done the same to conservatism.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (04-25-2014),Invayne (04-26-2014),Trinnity (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    Since all the true conservatives are gone, I agree.

http://archive.today/29J5
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents"interests,' I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause, I am doing the very best I can."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (04-25-2014),Invayne (04-26-2014)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    Since all the true conservatives are gone, I agree.

http://archive.today/29J5
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents"interests,' I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause, I am doing the very best I can."
    That is leadership, standing for what is right and true.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

Invayne (04-26-2014),Max Rockatansky (04-26-2014)

Thread Information