User Tag List

Members banned from this thread: Morning Star, Fentoine Lum and Uncle Sammy

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Book of Revelation

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, @Calypso Jones! You have helped shed light on many things that were hidden.

Now to go back over them!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rita Marley For This Useful Post:

Jen (04-12-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Thanks @Rita Marley. I hope I didnt mislead anyone. I used a number of sources: Study Bible, internet, 2 different Bible studies, A number of source materials like zondervan and others.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 04-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (04-12-2019),Rita Marley (04-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Thank you so much for this study. I have learned a lot and I am certain that it will be just a beneficial when I go back and read it again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Thanks @Rita Marley. I hope I didnt mislead anyone. I used a number of sources: Study Bible, internet, 2 different Bible studies, A number of source materials like zondervan and others.
    I believe that God spoke to us through your words here, @Calypso Jones. No one was misled. Thank you again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-13-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    To be fair....all I did was take the words of those who had studied the book of Revelation and post it. I learned more this time and I did enjoy it. I was determined to get through this. We WEREN"T gonna get stalled at Chapter 19.

I'm doing a little reading on the history of the Roman Empire/Christianity and what was going on in the rest of the world at that time also. Hopefully I can put something together on that in a bit.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (04-13-2019),potlatch (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-13-2019),Rondonmonson (04-14-2019)

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    To be fair....all I did was take the words of those who had studied the book of Revelation and post it. I learned more this time and I did enjoy it. I was determined to get through this. We WEREN"T gonna get stalled at Chapter 19.
    I'm doing a little reading on the history of the Roman Empire/Christianity and what was going on in the rest of the world at that time also. Hopefully I can put something together on that in a bit.
    Good job sister.......
    Last edited by Rondonmonson; 04-14-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    Even so, Come Lord Come !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rondonmonson For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    I'm a preterist/futurist.
    Sometime ago I had read about the methods of interpreting the Bible. It seemed to me that people feel a need to label things in order to properly file them away in cabinets for reference. Labeling serves to make understandable what is not understood. It makes one comfortable when a label is applied. And scholars must feel comfortable, first and foremost.

The Bible interprets itself. Revelation 1: 1-3 explains clearly what the book is about, the purpose of it, Who gave it and the blessing that it is to those who hear and keep what it reveals. Christ is coming quickly. The time is at hand. Behold, I come quickly. Our lives are short, and that is point. Revelation is revealing what will shortly come to pass, and that is the context of it. The time grows shorter day by day, and the Bible also reveals that we are in the final days (years) of this age.

We must be careful not to add or detract from it. The methods are at best a distraction. The truth is the Word of God. We don't need methods to adopt. We need the Spirit of God.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    I would also like to thank Rita and CJ for this thread. Thank you both. And, if I inadvertently insulted anybody concerning their beliefs I do apologize. I can only offer my own opinions on the Word of God, and if they differ from anyone else then so be it. No offense was intended.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

Oberon (04-14-2019),potlatch (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    Sometime ago I had read about the methods of interpreting the Bible. It seemed to me that people feel a need to label things in order to properly file them away in cabinets for reference. Labeling serves to make understandable what is not understood. It makes one comfortable when a label is applied. And scholars must feel comfortable, first and foremost.

The Bible interprets itself. Revelation 1: 1-3 explains clearly what the book is about, the purpose of it, Who gave it and the blessing that it is to those who hear and keep what it reveals. Christ is coming quickly. The time is at hand. Behold, I come quickly. Our lives are short, and that is point. Revelation is revealing what will shortly come to pass, and that is the context of it. The time grows shorter day by day, and the Bible also reveals that we are in the final days (years) of this age.

We must be careful not to add or detract from it. The methods are at best a distraction. The truth is the Word of God. We don't need methods to adopt. We need the Spirit of God.
    Much of it was transmitted orally, and only later put down on scrolls. They used memorization methods because they were necessary. Chiasms were the primary method. They didn't have 'books' then, either; they were written on scrolls, and didn't have punctuation; in fact it was Christian copyists who probably invented 'books' concept in the first place, by sewing scrolls together. Chiasms are also a good clue to whether writings were legitimate or not, as is determining which 'voice' and literary genre is being used, they change, many times from one verse to another, so I will disagree that methods or a distraction. For those who don't feel competent with all that, there is always 'The Sermon On The Mount' for those who aren't comfortable with the rest of the methodologies, Jesus's main public speech for the masses. Much of the OT and NT for that matter weren't meant to be read by laymen in the first place, precisely because it requires teaching to learn how to read it, at least as far as the OT is concerned. It also requires lot of knowledge of the times, language, and culture as well, which is why there is no single 'expert' on the entire bible. Fortunately we live in a time were there are many good scholars in all areas of those times, both secular and believers.
    Last edited by Oberon; 04-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oberon For This Useful Post:

potlatch (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (06-07-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Matthew 13:

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:
    “‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
    and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
    15 For this people's heart has grown dull,
    and with their ears they can barely hear,
    and their eyes they have closed,
    lest they should see with their eyes
    and hear with their ears
    and understand with their heart
    and turn, and I would heal them.’

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. 17 For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (06-07-2019)

Thread Information