Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6464950515253545556

Thread: Book of Revelation

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I'm a preterist/futurist.
    Sometime ago I had read about the methods of interpreting the Bible. It seemed to me that people feel a need to label things in order to properly file them away in cabinets for reference. Labeling serves to make understandable what is not understood. It makes one comfortable when a label is applied. And scholars must feel comfortable, first and foremost.

The Bible interprets itself. Revelation 1: 1-3 explains clearly what the book is about, the purpose of it, Who gave it and the blessing that it is to those who hear and keep what it reveals. Christ is coming quickly. The time is at hand. Behold, I come quickly. Our lives are short, and that is point. Revelation is revealing what will shortly come to pass, and that is the context of it. The time grows shorter day by day, and the Bible also reveals that we are in the final days (years) of this age.

We must be careful not to add or detract from it. The methods are at best a distraction. The truth is the Word of God. We don't need methods to adopt. We need the Spirit of God.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-17-2019),Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    I would also like to thank Rita and CJ for this thread. Thank you both. And, if I inadvertently insulted anybody concerning their beliefs I do apologize. I can only offer my own opinions on the Word of God, and if they differ from anyone else then so be it. No offense was intended.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

Jen (09-03-2019),Oberon (04-14-2019),potlatch (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (04-14-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    Sometime ago I had read about the methods of interpreting the Bible. It seemed to me that people feel a need to label things in order to properly file them away in cabinets for reference. Labeling serves to make understandable what is not understood. It makes one comfortable when a label is applied. And scholars must feel comfortable, first and foremost.

The Bible interprets itself. Revelation 1: 1-3 explains clearly what the book is about, the purpose of it, Who gave it and the blessing that it is to those who hear and keep what it reveals. Christ is coming quickly. The time is at hand. Behold, I come quickly. Our lives are short, and that is point. Revelation is revealing what will shortly come to pass, and that is the context of it. The time grows shorter day by day, and the Bible also reveals that we are in the final days (years) of this age.

We must be careful not to add or detract from it. The methods are at best a distraction. The truth is the Word of God. We don't need methods to adopt. We need the Spirit of God.
    Much of it was transmitted orally, and only later put down on scrolls. They used memorization methods because they were necessary. Chiasms were the primary method. They didn't have 'books' then, either; they were written on scrolls, and didn't have punctuation; in fact it was Christian copyists who probably invented 'books' concept in the first place, by sewing scrolls together. Chiasms are also a good clue to whether writings were legitimate or not, as is determining which 'voice' and literary genre is being used, they change, many times from one verse to another, so I will disagree that methods or a distraction. For those who don't feel competent with all that, there is always 'The Sermon On The Mount' for those who aren't comfortable with the rest of the methodologies, Jesus's main public speech for the masses. Much of the OT and NT for that matter weren't meant to be read by laymen in the first place, precisely because it requires teaching to learn how to read it, at least as far as the OT is concerned. It also requires lot of knowledge of the times, language, and culture as well, which is why there is no single 'expert' on the entire bible. Fortunately we live in a time were there are many good scholars in all areas of those times, both secular and believers.
    Last edited by Oberon; 04-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oberon For This Useful Post:

potlatch (04-14-2019),Rita Marley (06-07-2019)

50000 Experience Points7 days registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    It is a tough one. Didn't the Bible say not everybody can understand what is said?

The elevator blurb: USA collapses. WWIII wipes out almost everything. Jesus returns to save the faithful that are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rita Marley View Post
    Anybody want to delve into it? I've read it a couple of times and can't make head nor tails of it. I know bad things happen in Rome.

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Matthew 13:

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:
    “‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
    and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
    15 For this people's heart has grown dull,
    and with their ears they can barely hear,
    and their eyes they have closed,
    lest they should see with their eyes
    and hear with their ears
    and understand with their heart
    and turn, and I would heal them.’

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. 17 For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-17-2019),Rita Marley (06-07-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    1 Corinthians 2:14–15 (ESV)

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Rita Marley (06-07-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    so what i'm saying for those not involved in this study, i'll mention no names....sam browne. Is that God doesn't give understanding to any person who does not hold God in esteem. that is only reserved for those who love God and wish to understand the many secrets that he hides within the scriptures. The participants in this study understand that.

Now having said that. We are still not to grasp the understanding of all elements of Revelation. it's prophecy. Same with Daniel when he studied Isaiah. He was an old man before he realized that Isaiah was prophesying HIS TIME. Even Alexander The Great was impressed that he was mentioned in scripture prophecy. But the full understanding of that prophecy was not revealed until Alexander's time. So don't be disturbed or unhappy that you don't fully understand the meaning of revelation's prophecy...you will at the right time.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-17-2019),Jen (09-03-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks

Actually, without dedication, study, the right motive, and most importantly, the blessing from God for understanding. No one will ever have the true meaning of his word.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S-N-A-F-U For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-17-2019),Jen (08-17-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks

Actually, without dedication, study, the right motive, and most importantly, the blessing from God for understanding. No one will ever have the true meaning of his word.

"At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.' ` Matt. 11:25

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S-N-A-F-U For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-09-2019),Jen (08-17-2019)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    The left is in crazed mode in their determination to regain their power. And one day they will. How I know this is from this book.

The US will turn its back on Israel. The US, although not mentioned specifically will side with Britain and all nations that she 'rules' in their attitude toward Israel. God says in his word..those nations that bless Israel will be blessed, those that curse Israel will be cursed. Look at history. It is the truth.

Americans...indeed the citizens of the world will be at the mercy of military power (anti-Christ) and the corrupt because we will be disarmed ourselves. We along with every other disarmed nation will be at the mercy of the anti-Christ and his supporters. The antichrist's supporters right now are attempting the disarming of americans, they're manipulating the environment and pushing global climate change in order to diminish the effects of God's coming judgements. That's not going to work. The left, antichrist's supporters are pushing euthanasia, and abortion again. Satan went after babies and the unborn at different times in different places. Originally to destroy Christ before he was born.

I pray for and I knowmany o thers also pray for generationsofyoungtobe born who honor Godandhis word. Satan must destroy these generations through abortion and other means...post abortions? the killing of children? child sexual abuse?? Satan needs to get into the hearts and minds of our so called leaders He needs to infiltrate them because they are the ones that will put us in the position of judgement. They are. This is why there is such hate for President Trump...he stands in the way of our satanically infested leaders and their plans..which really aren't their plans..they're satans plans.

My computers isacting up. odd. seems tohave stopped.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 08-17-2019 at 06:12 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (08-17-2019),Jen (08-17-2019)

Thread Information