Thread: Thread MERGES

Free Bird - V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    A thought about thread merges, by OldSchool:

Sometimes it's all well and good when there are multiple threads about same subject and they are combined for input and reactions from members and for readers to get a grasp on the matter.

But, each OP has it's own originality or character, or at least should, and threads from there take their own shape. When mixing-up the replies the thread losses some of it's character.

And by the way: Ban anyone who isn't aware enough to see what is happening and can't add to a thread and feels a need to start their own. Only kidding about that. Threads on the same subject, and with a different look.... and in a totally different section of this forum - should be left alone to take their own shape and character.
    Last edited by OldSchool; 07-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    A thought about thread merges, by OldSchool:

Sometimes it's all well and good when there are multiple threads about same subject and they are combined for input and reactions from members and for readers to get a grasp on the matter.

But, each OP has it's own originality or character, or at least should, and threads from there take their own shape. When mixing-up the replies the thread losses some of it's character.

And by the way: Ban anyone who isn't aware enough to see what is happening and can't add to a thread and feels a need to start their own. Only kidding about that. Threads on the same subject, and with a different look.... and in a totally different section of this forum - should be left alone to take their own shape and character.
    Summation: Let it be until or unless there is a real problem. People here (generally speaking) are bright enough to pick-up on what's happening, and anyone/members can add a link to another thread about same subject for those interested enough. Hell, I've even added quotes from another thread without a problem, and when doing so - said "imported from another thread". There's even a few folks here who know you can click-on the >> of quote and be brought to the time and place the quote was said to be put in context and perspective.

IMO and end rant.
    Last edited by OldSchool; 07-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Truth Seeker, Alumni, V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 79.0%

Thanks
    Summation: Let it be until or unless there is a real problem. People here (generally speaking) are bright enough to pick-up on what's happening, and anyone/members can add a link to another thread about same subject for those interested enough. Hell, I've even added quotes from another thread without a problem, and when doing so - said "imported from another thread". There's even a few folks here who know you can click-on the >> of quote and be brought to the time and place the quote was said to be put in context and perspective.

IMO and end rant.
    There can be bad experiences. I once carried on a thread when the original OP poster disappeared. I kept it going and it turned out to be a very good thread with a high volume of posters and fun. Suddenly it got merged and became a mixed up mess.

The original OP poster came back and wrote to me that 'it's ok because 'so and so' had posted it first'.
    But, 'so and so' had used a weird messed up title so who the heck would know?

At least Trinn gave me a REP that said "I'm sorry".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

OldSchool (07-04-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potlatch View Post
    There can be bad experiences. I once carried on a thread when the original OP poster disappeared. I kept it going and it turned out to be a very good thread with a high volume of posters and fun. Suddenly it got merged and became a mixed up mess.

The original OP poster came back and wrote to me that 'it's ok because 'so and so' had posted it first'.
    But, 'so and so' had used a weird messed up title so who the heck would know?

I know there's pros and cons about 'thread merging'..... I'm also one who would usually bump an old thread rather than start a new.
    Last edited by OldSchool; 07-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Abraham Lincoln

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive

Thanks
    I know, pros and cons..... it's hard to make a steadfast rule about it all.
    You don't remember who the pros and cons were.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    You don't remember who the pros and cons were.

Maybe in a movie I haven't seen yet? Just kidding. What you said does bring back memories..... There was a time I started a thread (with a sensible and direct to the point title) with a good live link to a debate (I think) then quit posting, you posted and then a few others.... I came back and it was a fun cool thread..... then it got all mix-up with a thread merge. I forget who started the other thread (before me and I knew it when I started mine) but it had a poor title.

ETA: That merge left a bitter taste.
    Last edited by OldSchool; 07-04-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Abraham Lincoln

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:

potlatch (07-05-2019)

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks

This Is why we don't include op ed's in merges.

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks

Sometimes I mess up and/or can't fix something.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

potlatch (07-04-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    Sometimes I mess up and/or can't fix something.
    Thank you, I appreciated what you wrote to me.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    This Is why we don't include op ed's in merges.
    Threads in op ed are about to become very poplar and where I'll post mine:

?

Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information