User Tag List

Thread: Another Reason to Avoid Target: PRICE SHIFTING

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 98.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Another Reason to Avoid Target: PRICE SHIFTING

So, in case unisex johns and removal of Salvation Army Christmas Kettles aren't enough; in case the fag-friendly atmosphere isn't repulsive enough...how about dishonest pricing.

Target App Lured Customers With Lower Prices, Which Mysteriously Increased As Users Approached Store | Zero Hedge

Target App Lured Customers With Lower Prices, Which Mysteriously Increased As Users Approached Store

by Tyler Durden
    Mon, 02/11/2019 - 21:25

SHARES

Target updated its smartphone app last Wednesday after a two-month investigation by Minneapolis TV station KARE-TV discovered the retail giant was advertising certain items for one price outside of stores, only to hike the price when a person entered a Target - in one case, by as much as nearly $150.
    The station dubbed it the "parking lot price switch."
    For instance, Target’s app price for a particular Samsung 55-inch Smart TV was $499.99, but when we pulled into the parking lot of the Minnetonka store that price suddenly increased to $599.99 on the app.
    To test this further, we selected 10 products on the Target app at random, ranging from toys to bottled water to vacuum cleaners. We found that when we entered the store, four of the 10 products jumped up in price on the app.

An Apple Watch band went up $2, a Shark vacuum went up $40, a Graco child car seat jumped $72 and a Dyson vacuum shot up $148 on the app while inside the store.
    Our list of 10 items was a total of $262 cheaper in the back of the parking lot on the app with no indication that the prices had changed. -KARE-TV
    The difference boiled down to Target offering a lower price online vs. in-store, however the online-only pricing wasn't made clear. As KARE-TV noted, "Even if you scan the bar codes of the products on the shelves, which Target suggests customers do to see Cartwheel coupon offers on the app, the app gives no indication that certain prices were far cheaper at Target.com."
    In a statement emailed to the station, Target said: "The Target app shows in-store pricing while in store, and online pricing while on the go. If a guest finds any item for a lower price across any of the ways they can shop Target, we'll price match it."
    Oh really?
    George John - a marketing professor at the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management thinks Target's explanation is lacking.
    "That particular experiment reveals so many interesting facts about our retail environment," said John. "Somebody at Target programmed in an algorithm which says someone who is 50 feet within the store is willing to pay more. The most reasonable explanation is that you just revealed your commitment to buying the product, you're in the store, or in the parking lot. If you are further away, you haven't quite committed, so I'm going to give you a juicier deal. That's why the price went up when you got closer to the store."
    How does the app know you've entered a store?
    When you download the Target app, it asks you if it can access your location. Enabling this allows you to see stores near you, and when you are inside a store it will show you where to go for specific items and deals. What Target does not clearly tell customers is it appears this function also triggers price changes as you approach the store. -KARE-TV
    KARE-TV was first alerted to the "parking lot price switch" by Target shopper Miranda Artz, who noticed the phenomenon while buying an electric razor last spring.
    "It was $99.99 in the store, so I bought it," said Artz - only to find that the product was $69.99 on her Target app in the parking lot.
    Artz went back in the store to deal with customer service, and noticed that the price had jumped back to $99.99. When she went back out to the parking lot, she noticed the price drop again, so she took a screenshot to show customer service, which then refunded the difference.
    "I think it's a little deceptive," said Artz.
    Artz said there was a time when Target’s app would alert you to a lower online price, if available, when you scanned a product in store. She said that seemed to change last spring.
    Target would not confirm if it used to do this, nor would it confirm when its in-store vs. online price switches started taking effect on the app.
    “You should meet the expectations of the customer. If the customer believes they are getting an in-store price, say it is the in-store price,” said John.
    There is one quick and easy way to ensure your Target app does not switch any prices when you walk into the store. In the app, click on your name icon in the bottom right of the screen and scroll down to “app settings.” Click “Location” and switch it to “Never.” This switch will no longer permit the app to see your geolocation, and in this setting the app will always show the online prices of products, even if you are standing inside the store. -KARE-TV
    KARE-TV repeated the experiment at Best Buy, Walmart and Macy's, however none of them were found to alter prices between inside and outside of stores.

So. In this era of retail customers staying home, Target wants to FURTHER alienate buyers?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

2cent (02-12-2019),Big Bird (02-12-2019),Brat (02-11-2019),Dave37 (02-12-2019),HawkTheSlayer (02-11-2019),Kris P Bacon (02-11-2019),navigator2 (02-12-2019),Swedgin (02-12-2019)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a FLOOD of returned merchandise is in order, and no, the shopper should not accept an in-store rebate as an apology. They should the irony back and shop elsewhere.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

Proud Boomer/V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    I saw this on the news tonight, but I had no idea it was so bad. Target sucks; I won't buy a thing from them.
    Unwavering support of my President, Donald J Trump

~Shower the people you love with love~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brat For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (02-11-2019)

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Don't care if you are an Atheist. Kicking the Salvation Army bell ringers off the property, is a deal breaker. This bait and switch, notwithstanding.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

2cent (02-12-2019),Brat (02-11-2019),HawkTheSlayer (02-12-2019)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 98.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Much as I hate to say it, the real solution is to give the red circle a wide berth. I hate to make Bezos richer, but Amazon has the best pricing, nine times out of ten.

And now you know, if the Target app says it's cheaper (why shop by APP, anyway, for cripes' sake?) it probably isn't.

I'm old-fashioned. I like to see and examine the product before I buy - not buy, find out it's not as presented, and struggle for weeks getting the shipping costs, return, make sure the credit card is rebated. But if they're not even going to present the product price honestly...seriously. This kind of game is what I'd expect of an organization full of fruits.

So, copulate them. And leave them to their cute games, without customers. Sears is only one of many department stores in trouble...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Brat (02-11-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Don't care if you are an Atheist. Kicking the Salvation Army bell ringers off the property, is a deal breaker. This bait and switch, notwithstanding.
    Target pulled that stunt years ago, in this area. It was the last time I stepped foot on their property. 'Choose your own sex/bathroom', and this latest stunt w/bait and switch - I don't see how anyone could stand to be abused by them anymore.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (02-12-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't shop Target. Their advertising disgusts me first of all. They target teeny boppers to pressure mommies to buy "me shit". In other stores that offer sales, when I smell a rat, I print an online image of the advertised sale and wave it in their face if something is amiss. Managers don't like irate customers raising hell about bait and switch tactics with store full of customers.
    https://media3.giphy.com/media/s8lZxA5Jmempa/giphy.gif[/IMG]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to navigator2 For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (02-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    I very seldom go to Target any more.

It used to be one of my favorite stores, but....Walmart has a better, if somewhat, lower quality, selection of goods. (But, what the hell, a DVD is a DVD.....)

These days, I pretty much only go in to Target if I need to take a big dump in the Women's Room.

Yer welcome Ladies!

Ain't I a gent?
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (02-12-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by navigator2 View Post
    I don't shop Target. Their advertising disgusts me first of all. They target teeny boppers to pressure mommies to buy "me shit". In other stores that offer sales, when I smell a rat, I print an online image of the advertised sale and wave it in their face if something is amiss. Managers don't like irate customers raising hell about bait and switch tactics with store full of customers.
    I don't like quoting myself but it's better than a late edit. Something else that disgusted me. Anyone else remember the pre-Christmas "Rooms to Go" commercials? Again, disgusting. Pimping kids.........me! me! me! My stuff!

Last edited by navigator2; 02-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    https://media3.giphy.com/media/s8lZxA5Jmempa/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Stand For It Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I've seen something similar with Amazon when searching prices. I've seen prices on Amazon go up the second time I looked at an item. Doesn't happen all the time, or on all items, but they do go up 20 to 30 cents some times. Also their posted price may not be the price you end up with a check-out. Like I say, it doesn't happen all the time....
    Proudly Stand

Merry Christmas" "God Bless America"
    "One Nation Under God" "In God We Trust" "Buy American" "Eat More Bacon" "Buy More Guns"

“Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” ― Aristotle

Thread Information