Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Terms with America’s Undeniable Failure in Afghanistan

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Coming to Terms with America’s Undeniable Failure in Afghanistan

It wasn’t the fault of our military guys and gals on the ground. It was the idiots who think they can drag 8th Century tribal leaders and their followers into the 21st Century. The Taliban continues to take ground from the central government for the simple reason that they are Muslim fundamentalists, what the Afghan people have been taught to believe in from birth.
    These failures of the Afghan security forces have been attributed to the Afghans, and not those tasked with training the force. As Gen. John Campbell, the commander in Afghanistan prior to Nicholson, remarked to Afghan leadership as he was departing Afghanistan in early 2016, “You’ve got to want it more than we do.” Never considered, however, was that maybe the Afghans want peace as much, or even more, than visiting Americans, but that our chosen path to achieving peace is incompatible with Afghan culture and unachievable given internal political divisions and the state of the Afghan government.
    There is a lot more to this and most of it ignores the real reason for the failure. If you care to, read more @ https://warontherocks.com/2019/02/co...n-afghanistan/
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Swedgin (02-13-2019)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There's only one of two things to do.

Rewrite the ROE to include "winning" as a goal. That means less friendliness, more killing.

Or leave.

I am all for leaving.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (02-12-2019),JMWinPR (02-11-2019),MrMike (02-12-2019)

50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    There's nothing to gain in Afghanistan.

We should have bugged out right after we whack OBL.

However, on exit, I'd like to see the US soak down all their opium poppy fields with Roundup.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taxcutter For This Useful Post:

MrMike (02-12-2019),The Sage of Main Street (02-13-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 21.0%

On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

It wasn’t the fault of our military guys and gals on the ground. It was the idiots who think they can drag 8th Century tribal leaders and their followers into the 21st Century. The Taliban continues to take ground from the central government for the simple reason that they are Muslim fundamentalists, what the Afghan people have been taught to believe in from birth.
    These failures of the Afghan security forces have been attributed to the Afghans, and not those tasked with training the force. As Gen. John Campbell, the commander in Afghanistan prior to Nicholson, remarked to Afghan leadership as he was departing Afghanistan in early 2016, “You’ve got to want it more than we do.” Never considered, however, was that maybe the Afghans want peace as much, or even more, than visiting Americans, but that our chosen path to achieving peace is incompatible with Afghan culture and unachievable given internal political divisions and the state of the Afghan government.
    There is a lot more to this and most of it ignores the real reason for the failure. If you care to, read more @ https://warontherocks.com/2019/02/co...n-afghanistan/
    Vietnam Veterans Saved Us From Communism

Our ruling class will never understand war until its 18-year-olds are subject to two years active duty before they go to college. What you hear about Vietnam (very similar to the messes in Afghanistan, etc.) is a monologue by self-centered unpatriotic cowards who ran away to college to avoid the draft. Ignore that drivel. In fact, ignore all opinions pushed on us by that ignorant and conceited clique.
    Starting with the Kennedys, the born rich have hated and feared all other White people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sage of Main Street For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (02-11-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Near enough to a city to visit, far enough to be left alone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Exporting democracy/nation building does not work. Its very profitable for the politicians and military-industrial complex, but it doesn't work.

Bush should have gone into Afghanistan for a couple of months, blown up everything, killed hordes of terrorists, and left.

The last soldier to leave should stick a sign in the ground that says "You yank the Big Dogs chain, you get fucked. Yank it again, and we won't leave anything standing or alive".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (02-13-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Just my thoughts:

War is exactly that, war. Your goal is to kill the other guy. You don't make deals, you kill until everyone that tries to kill you is dead. Sadly our wars are not run by the military, they are run by politicians. And our guys & gals sometimes end up getting killed because politicians are telling them how to do their job.

Want to change that? It's simple. Send our politicians in to "talk" to the enemy & then launch an attack in which we go through (or over) out politicians to get to the enemy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (02-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Just my thoughts:

War is exactly that, war. Your goal is to kill the other guy. You don't make deals, you kill until everyone that tries to kill you is dead. Sadly our wars are not run by the military, they are run by politicians. And our guys & gals sometimes end up getting killed because politicians are telling them how to do their job.

Want to change that? It's simple. Send our politicians in to "talk" to the enemy & then launch an attack in which we go through (or over) out politicians to get to the enemy.
    Our politicians have become too powerful.It was not meant for them to wield so much power.AOC is unwittingly right in her assessment that the system is broken.The fact that she is pushing a far left agenda and it is resonating with a significant percentage of the next generation of voters is proof.

The Bible states the love of money is the root of all evil.I believe that.Politicians will sacrifice our young men and women in uniform because of lobbyist influences.

Forum IT Staff, VIP, Alumni IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In order to determine failure you first have to define what success looks like.

Afghanistan defies being defined. It always has.

We need to leave. If anything else comes from there, do a flyover and turn much of the goat and kiddie humpers land into glass.
    Last edited by MrMike; 02-12-2019 at 06:55 AM.

50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Yes. America did indeed fail to kill all the Afghans. That is the only solution that ever worked in that region. The Mongols killed them all. Peace was achieved for hundreds of years by doing so.

But even the Mongols eventually left the territory.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    We need to battle Islam a little closer to home

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (02-13-2019)

Thread Information