User Tag List

Thread: Army to upgrade physical fitness standards

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks

Army to upgrade physical fitness standards

I read that the Army is planning on upgrading their physical fitness standards. Gone are the days when a person will be expected to make a timed 3-mile run, pull ups and sit ups.

Oh wait that was the Marines. Army only has a two mile run and push ups and sit ups.

By the way last time I took a Marine physical fitness test I earned a first class ratting. 3-mile run in 20 minutes 20 seconds, the required 20 pull ups and 73 sit ups in two minutes (perfect was 80)

I am glad that the Army is intent on getting the current crop of video playing, couch sitting, cheetos eating recruits in shape.

I ALSO ADMIRE THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO ENLIST REGARDLESS OF BRANCH
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    I read about it in Military.com. One problem - it appears many recruits are too unfit to pass it.l
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Thanks
    When I enlisted there were a few out of shape recruits but that was before all this internet crap. The main thing then was how many could not swim. Hell the town I grew up in everyone headed to the pool in the summertime or a little pond outside of town.

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    I think it’s just a convoluted mess, they made it way to complicated. The old standard of pushups sit-ups and 2- mile run is fine. Just make people have to make the standards, my feelings are they wanted it to look more universal. The old PT standards really make females look bad, the standards are so much lower for them there is no way they are or look equal, really pretty embarrassing for the ‘woman can do everything a man can’ crowd.

Let’s face it the minimum standards for all the services are really low. Even the Marine Corp, for a young man of 20 you only have to to 4 pull ups to pass, 70 crunches (not even a full sit up) and three miles in 27:40, that’s less then a airborne shuffle pace. Now a Marine can chose to do push-ups instead of pull-ups minimum for passing is 42, the same number as the Army. I don’t know why you would though, just do 4 pull-ups and be done if your not into getting a good score.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (02-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    Oh how I remember the Daily Dozen. A week of that and everyone in our Basic Training company was right up to stuff.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Thanks
    During boot camp we had a "run drop" during the final physical fitness test. Drill Instructor "politely" (yeah right) informed him that he hoped his parents had not bought the plane tickets to attend his boot camp graduation because he was being sent back to the beginning of the third training phase.

One of the cadence we would sing was, "We started together we will finish together" well except for the above mentioned individual.

We spent more time "in the pit" than any other platoon in the series. Probably moved more earth doing mountain climbers than a bull dozer at a construction site. Senior Drill Instructor had a saying, "When training is over you mothers may not be the smartest but you will be the strongest" He was right the platoon was first in the series after the final PFT. We kicked some serious ass.

Thanks
    I had a big target on my chest early on in BT. My DS had a sprint drill they loved to have us run. You would sprint 100 yards turn and sprint 100 back, when you reached the first hundred the next runner was sent. You would end up running past each other at about the midway point. Of course this is done at o’dark thirty and we got those stupid cone flashlights. The kid coming back veered into my lane and we collided at full speed, I had almost a foot of height on him so his face hit my shoulder. We went down hard, I had the wind knocked out of me but no further injury. Unfortunately the other kid was messed up, one of the drills had kneeled behind him and half lefted his upper half checking on him. I’ll never forget he was out cold and still moving his legs and arms like he was still running. He had to be recycled for medical reasons and the company commander made the DS stop doing that drill. They wore me out for over a week until somebody more deserving of their attention came along. But I was always the A’hole that F-up their favorite PT sprint.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I think the Marines turned down Audie Murphy because he wasn't big enough. The point being, physical prowess is important but not everything, especially in this technological age.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
    I think the Marines turned down Audie Murphy because he wasn't big enough. The point being, physical prowess is important but not everything, especially in this technological age.
    I get what your saying but you are off the mark. He was refused service by all three branches for being underage and underweight, his sister lied in a affidavit stating he was a year older. The Army then took him.

Where your of is that because he was on the smaller side doesn’t mean he wasn’t in peak physical condition, to do what he did he had to be.

Passing the PT test and standards doesn’t mean your overly strong or even have physical prowess as you say. What it means is you are in decent physical condition, if you score enough to pass. Or great physical condition if you do really well.

The stress of combat wears the body and the mind exponentially and if you are not in good physical condition you will not last. There is a reason Combat arms(infantry, armor, SOF, etc)do far more physical conditioning then your administrative clerks and motor pool do. But even they need to be in decent condition.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Dave37 (02-13-2019)

Thread Information