User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sailors Combat Death Leads to Navy-Wide Policy Changes But should they?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing she didn't like the crypto job but why does the Navy have psychologists?

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    What happened to her has happened to countless men in the military, she served and paid the ultimate price and should be honored and respected for that. She is not the one making a issue of this, she is gone. This is just another attempt by the progs/media for special treatment.

How many times do you think this exact thing has happened to a male service member and they never thought they needed to change it.
    Last edited by Crusader; 02-10-2019 at 06:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (02-10-2019)

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    She would have been a Mustang (an officer who started in the Navy as an enlisted man) and could have been older than most other officers. We had an operations officer in his early 40's who was a Mustang Lieutenant and would have retired at the same rank in another 10 years at the most. I don't see where anyone is entitled to become an officer just because its the PC thing to do. As for her still being alive if she were an officer or in school that is called FATE and she could as easily been run over by a car while in school.
    Yes.

The mustangs, no matter their rank, were expected to KNOW their stuff. And they were put in the hard billets. The pay of an Ensign (O-1) is about the same as a Senior Chief, and that's just the entry. These enlisted-to-officer were given a chance few enlisted men get, and they were expected to work for it.

This woman enlisted. She supposedly worked up (which is doubtful; I saw how fast the F chiefs made it...typically ten years) and was expected to do the work required of the billet. Being in the military means doing things you don't want to do. Be it, ride a ship for four years, or get sent to Bumfcuk Egypt...OR DIE.

It happens. No one wants it to happen but it happens.

My experience with Type F chiefs on a carrier showed me just what a special place they occupied; and one thing I do NOT want to see, as a Navy veteran, is FURTHER softening. MORE shore duty for MORE F chiefs, so MORE men can be disillusioned...they can't get off their sea billets; they can't get shore duty anywhere close to home, but the Fs just pout, and get it.

As a Navy Journalist (not my official rating but I was TAD to the Carrier Group's Public Affairs Officer) I interviewed two of the first embarked female chiefs on CVN-70. One was an impressive old bird - she had been around the block (and around the WestPac) a few times and looked it. Tough as iron.

The other...thirty years old. Khakis WAY too tight. And let me give a list of her ribbons and decorations:

[start]

National Defense

[end]

THAT was ALL. She hadn't even got Navy Achievement, in her twelve years of shore duty (this was her first ship). And on shore duty, you get Navy Achievement if you have the coffee ready for the duty officer.

UN-fit. I came out of four years with five ribbons, and I wasn't even that exceptional.

We do NOT need more girly-girl enlisted-officers who mince around doing nothing in comfy quarters.

50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Near enough to a city to visit, far enough to be left alone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    Sailors Combat Death Leads to Navy-Wide Policy Changes But should they?

Dave Hardin | February 8, 2019

There is something about this whole thing that makes me take pause.

Navy officials are changing what a top admiral called fundamental flaws in its waiver and appeal process for commissioning programs after a sailor who was denied a chance to pursue a career as an officer was sent to Syria, where she was killed in a suicide bombing.

Adm. William Moran, vice chief of naval operations, sent a letter detailing the changes to the family of Chief Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) Shannon Kent, Stars and Stripes reported Wednesday.

The action follows a call from seven lawmakers demanding that Navy leaders explain how they planned to update the policies that left Kent deployed to the war zone after rejecting a plan that would have allowed her to pursue a doctorate degree as part of a commissioning program.

The Navy denied Kents plans to attend a clinical psychology program, Stripes reported, because the 35-year-old mother of two had previously been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Despite that, the service considered her fit to deploy, and the linguist landed on her fifth combat tour in November when she was sent to Syria where she along with 18 other people was killed by a suicide bomberon Jan. 16.

The loss of Chief Kent was tragic, as is the loss of any American who is serving this nation.

However, since when is seeking to become a Commissioned Officer considered to be a valid reason to get out of a deployment? What most of the articles I have read seem to imply is that the Navy has fundamental flaws that resulted in the death of Chief Kent. Had she been selected or her appeal granted they she would not have died. That very well may be true.

Who was supposed to die in her place? Is it somehow more acceptable to send a Chief Petty Officer who has no intention of becoming an officer to their death? Her death and her being denied a chance to pursue a career as an officer are mutually exclusive.

If you are deployed into harms way, or about to be, you simply apply for a Degree Completion Program to get out of it all.

Filling the Officer Ranks with individuals that want to avoid combat deployments is hardly the way to make our military more lethal.

There may very well have been problems with the selection process and even the appeal process. Creating a situation where people who apply are now plucked from deployment is unacceptable.

They I am sorry for her loss, I am disappointed that others lack the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing in the wake of her death.
    She was a Chief Petty Officer, a language translator, and worked in intelligence, and had for a long time. This was her fifth "combat tour". That means this was not new to her and she knew exactly what she signed up for. So did her family.

And if she was a translator and was sent to Syria, I'm going to guess her language skills included Arabic. Whats more important, going to school to learn psychology or an expert in Arabic?

The real question is why some Admiral thinks he has to change the Navy because a sailor got killed? The problem isn't with the girl, its with the Admiral.
    "Yet not one of those Congressmen responded to my proposition. Money with them is nothing but trash when it is to come out of the people. But it is the one great thing for which most of them are striving, and many of them sacrifice honor, integrity, and justice to obtain it."
    - Davy Crocket, Not Yours to Give, http://hushmoney.org/Davy_Crockett_Farmer_Bunce.htm

Thread Information