User Tag List

Thread: Trade Wars

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Trade Wars

Free trade, or regulatory trade? Itís understandable that no country wants a trade deficit, but on the other hand, should government interfere in free markets? If people didnít want to buy foreign goods they wouldnít and so the question should be, why do they buy foreign? The answer is quite simple, theyíre cheaper.

The problem with trade wars is that they donít work and why theyíre so rare. Previously, many American companies bought cheap steel from places like Mexico. They then used that to make cheaper affordable products like cars, TVs, even nails Ö Putting a tariff on steel means those manufacturers are now going bust because theyíve had to increase their final product costs. In their place come imported cars, TVs and nails made elsewhere that donít have a tariff. Duh.

Now it could be argued that the trade deficit has to be reduced, but in fact itís going up, a rise of $31billion (8.6%) from 2017. Thatís because reverse tariffs have restricted American exports and American goods have become too expensive for the American market. Another example is agricultural products, specifically food. In 2018, exports of soya beans to China fell by 62% as China slapped a tariff on them and bought instead from Brazil and Argentina while American farmers started to go bankrupt. The good news is that in December Mr Trump backed down and agreed a 90 day tariff truce with China. He kept that very quiet from you didnít he with all the rhetoric about trade wars being good and winning. Perhaps he is now beginning to realise that the world is a big place with lots of countries that sell products not just America and its America that is bearing the brunt of the trade wars.

How many of Obamaís supporters found themselves on welfare instead of a promised utopia and how many who cheered on trade wars will find themselves on the same welfare by 2020.

Under ten minutes and interesting. A look at reality behind the hype. What I took away from this video is the mind-set that says I believe in Trumpís policies as long as I can carry on doing OK and it doesnít affect me.

"Verbal waterboarding" - Stimulating the cerebral cortex and producing prolonged periods of mirth. Chop. P, Chops Encyclopedia of Knowledge, 2018, TPF Edition.

Change My World

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    You really don't know?

I'll give you a hint.

Have you ever heard the phrase "darning each others' socks"?

A long time ago I asked you who they owe the money to, remember?

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    You really don't know?

I'll give you a hint.

Have you ever heard the phrase "darning each others' socks"?

A long time ago I asked you who they owe the money to, remember?
    I really donít know what? 'Darning each others socks'? No, never heard of that phrase. Who owes money to whom? Iíve no idea what youíre talking about.
    "Verbal waterboarding" - Stimulating the cerebral cortex and producing prolonged periods of mirth. Chop. P, Chops Encyclopedia of Knowledge, 2018, TPF Edition.

Change My World

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    nah .. the mind set is I don't give a flying shit as long as I get my food .. drugs .. TV .. and cell phone. all I know is that I want it for free. oh and if my butt itches in the morning it is either Trump or some rich white man's fault.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruthless terrier For This Useful Post:

Bondo (02-07-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    Previously, many American companies bought cheap steel from places like Mexico. They then used that to make cheaper affordable products like cars, TVs, even nails Ö Putting a tariff on steel means those manufacturers are now going bust because theyíve had to increase their final product costs. In their place come imported cars, TVs and nails made elsewhere that donít have a tariff. Duh.[/S]

I don't think that is really what this is about. It's more of a WE IMPORT YOUR STUFF & MAY PUT A 4% TARRIFF ON IT. You sell a lot here. YOU IMPORT OUR STUFF & PUT A 30% TARRIFF ON IT. We sell very little to you because our stuff is so expensive in your country. And example of that (obvious example) was Canada putting a 290% tariff on our milk. That's almost 3 times the total cost of our milk added ON TOP OF the purchase price. That's what this is about.
    Last edited by Old Tex; 02-07-2019 at 08:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

jirqoadai (02-08-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry31 days registered
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Problem with milk. If itís 3.99 a gallon that makes it 160 dollars a barrel.
    is it realy cheaper to refine oil more then ď pasturinzing ď milk and then adding 80%+ water?
    Last edited by jirqoadai; 02-08-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Thread Information