User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you personally experienced 'something' that you believe was supernatural, or God

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have experienced something that i believe to be Supernatural

23 85.19%
  • I have not experienced anything supernatural that is not explainable as psychological or chemical

4 14.81%
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Evidence for God: personal experience

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    Christians already have a predisposition to believe in the supernatural.
    This is a prejudicial statement, revealing progressive, anti-christian indoctrination.

It is like making generalizations about jews, or blacks, or atheists.

Christians are the most diverse group of human beings, ever. They come from the broadest demographic.. race, region, former religion, education, economic, and any subgroup of humanity you can imagine.

Contrast that with atheists, for example. They are primarily rogue males, indoctrinated by progressive institutions, generally well to do economically, pseudo science devotees, filled with religious bigotry toward Christianity.

If there is any ideological subset with generalizations and stereotypes, atheists fit them better than any 'Christian!' label.

You cannot quantify or test a 'predisposition' to believe anything. That is just a bigoted statement, to demean those whose worldview you despise. Goebbels would be proud..

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just curious...do you believe that the totality of you, yourself, ie, who you are, consists solely of your body and mind?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    Christians believe in the One True God because of faith...
    What is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others...
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usfan View Post
    This is a prejudicial statement, revealing progressive, anti-christian indoctrination.

It is like making generalizations about jews, or blacks, or atheists.

Christians are the most diverse group of human beings, ever. They come from the broadest demographic.. race, region, former religion, education, economic, and any subgroup of humanity you can imagine.

Contrast that with atheists, for example. They are primarily rogue males, indoctrinated by progressive institutions, generally well to do economically, pseudo science devotees, filled with religious bigotry toward Christianity.

If there is any ideological subset with generalizations and stereotypes, atheists fit them better than any 'Christian!' label.

You cannot quantify or test a 'predisposition' to believe anything. That is just a bigoted statement, to demean those whose worldview you despise. Goebbels would be proud..

Christians already believe in supernatural events, miracles, angels, dreams and visions from God, etc. A predisposition is a tendency to hold a certain attitude, and a Christian's attitude concerning the sort of testimonies given in this thread is to have no reason to doubt such things can and do happen. So how is that a prejudiced statement? It's a common sense statement regarding the fact that Christians have faith in the possibility of such things, and non-religious people are more generally more skeptical. Not sure why you would even take issue with that?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Christians believe in the One True God because of faith...

And you, as a Christian who has faith, are PREDISPOSED to believe in miracles which IS part of your faith.

So tell me what I said wrong?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita Marley View Post
    Just curious...do you believe that the totality of you, yourself, ie, who you are, consists solely of your body and mind?

I am not convinced that any emotion, thought, imagination or self-awareness that I experience originates from anywhere other than my physical brain. I am open to the possibility there is a soul and/or spirit, but what is there in the "totality" of ourselves that must, by definition, lie outside or reach beyond the limits of our mind?

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    And you, as a Christian who has faith, are PREDISPOSED to believe in miracles which IS part of your faith.

So tell me what I said wrong?
    I concur with this statement....nothing wrong.
    What is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others...
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

8. The Following User Says Thank You to drifter106 For This Useful Post:

SharetheHedge (02-12-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I am not convinced that any emotion, thought, imagination or self-awareness that I experience originates from anywhere other than my physical brain. I am open to the possibility there is a soul and/or spirit, but what is there in the "totality" of ourselves that must, by definition, lie outside or reach beyond the limits of our mind?
    Ever enter a room or while meeting someone new, or seeing something that was for the first time ever ? Yet instantly, ones brain is telling them they have "been here, done this already " ? (de-ja vu)

There have been a LOT of people experience this feeling. How can ones brain recognize something, if it has never processed the scenario/event before, yet stored it in its memory banks ? Not even logical really, and makes no sense at all to anyone. But it does happen to people.

How many stories have you read from credible people that got a instant, " gut" feeling that when they acted upon it, their actions saved them from harm ?

Just two examples I have given here, of how people are affected by "outer" unexplainable, illogical events in their lives. At some point a person has to realize that not ALL things can or ever will be, explained from a logical or scientific viewpoint.
    Last edited by gregonejeep; 02-11-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Christians already believe in supernatural events, miracles, angels, dreams and visions from God, etc. A predisposition is a tendency to hold a certain attitude, and a Christian's attitude concerning the sort of testimonies given in this thread is to have no reason to doubt such things can and do happen. So how is that a prejudiced statement? It's a common sense statement regarding the fact that Christians have faith in the possibility of such things, and non-religious people are more generally more skeptical. Not sure why you would even take issue with that?
    I stand by my analysis. This is a prejudicial statement, nothing more.

1. The ASSUMPTION is that 'Christians!' are predisposed toward superstition and against empiricism. The implied assumption is that atheists are predisposed toward rational, empirical facts.
    2. This is just a variation of the phony narrative:
    'Christians have religion! Atheists have science!'
    3. It is an elitist view, that puts superstitious 'Christians!' in a subhuman category, or at least elevates atheists as more highly evolved.
    4. The implication is that this predisposition is genetic, or caused by some mental defect. Atheists don't have it, so are superior.. more evolved, intellectually.
    5. It is an expression of religious bigotry, casting aspersions on a rival belief system, and pretending superiority for one's own.
    6. Atheists don't 'know' that a spiritual experience is 'made up!', or contrived. That is a belief, only.
    7. IF.. there IS a spiritual dimension, THEN.. contact with it would be convincing. No predisposition is needed. Even godless atheists would be convinced, presumably.
    8. If 'Christians!' are predisposed to belief in God, then are atheists predisposed to hostility, bigotry, and hatred? Why is demeaning the beliefs of others so important to the forum atheists? Does that reflect a 'predisposition?'
    9. The evidence is contrary to the statement. If there is any 'predisposition!', it comes from religious Indoctrination, such as is common in progressive institutions. That makes people more gullible and subject to imagination and fantasy, not anything inherent in humans.
    10. Perhaps Christians believe in the supernatural BECAUSE of experiencing it, with no 'predisposition!'. Your assumption/conclusion is a causation/correlation fallacy.
    11. If an atheist experienced something supernatural, or had contact with God, would their 'predisposition!' toward godlessness override their experience? Would they dismiss their experience because it conflicts with their beliefs?
    12. 'Predisposition!' is a prejudicial assumption, about the mental state of others, with no evidence. It is a smear, to demean and dehumanize an opposing belief.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to usfan For This Useful Post:

gregonejeep (02-11-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usfan View Post
    I stand by my analysis. This is a prejudicial statement, nothing more.

1. The ASSUMPTION is that 'Christians!' are predisposed toward superstition and against empiricism. The implied assumption is that atheists are predisposed toward rational, empirical facts.
    2. This is just a variation of the phony narrative:
    'Christians have religion! Atheists have science!'
    3. It is an elitist view, that puts superstitious 'Christians!' in a subhuman category, or at least elevates atheists as more highly evolved.
    4. The implication is that this predisposition is genetic, or caused by some mental defect. Atheists don't have it, so are superior.. more evolved, intellectually.
    5. It is an expression of religious bigotry, casting aspersions on a rival belief system, and pretending superiority for one's own.
    6. Atheists don't 'know' that a spiritual experience is 'made up!', or contrived. That is a belief, only.
    7. IF.. there IS a spiritual dimension, THEN.. contact with it would be convincing. No predisposition is needed. Even godless atheists would be convinced, presumably.
    8. If 'Christians!' are predisposed to belief in God, then are atheists predisposed to hostility, bigotry, and hatred? Why is demeaning the beliefs of others so important to the forum atheists? Does that reflect a 'predisposition?'
    9. The evidence is contrary to the statement. If there is any 'predisposition!', it comes from religious Indoctrination, such as is common in progressive institutions. That makes people more gullible and subject to imagination and fantasy, not anything inherent in humans.
    10. Perhaps Christians believe in the supernatural BECAUSE of experiencing it, with no 'predisposition!'. Your assumption/conclusion is a causation/correlation fallacy.
    11. If an atheist experienced something supernatural, or had contact with God, would their 'predisposition!' toward godlessness override their experience? Would they dismiss their experience because it conflicts with their beliefs?
    12. 'Predisposition!' is a prejudicial assumption, about the mental state of others, with no evidence. It is a smear, to demean and dehumanize an opposing belief.

You sound like a triggered progressive who cries "racist!" without even understanding what has been said. I am not character analyzing those who become Christians, as to WHY they became believers, I'm saying AS Christians, as bible believers, they NOW accept that there have been, and still are, "encounters with God" which have been placed in the category of the "supernatural" per this thread. Assuming you don't disagree with THAT, they are now PREDISPOSED to the possibility that at least some of the testimonies that may appear in this thread might not be naturally explainable. They ALREADY believe in miracles, etc., so will not tend to be as skeptical as non-believers. That is their attitude on the subject, which is their predisposition. What's your problem with that again?
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 02-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Thread Information