User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling works....

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Homeschooling works....

"There's no better sign of success than an escalation in attacks by your enemies. Based on such evidence, homeschooling is enjoying a boom, as growing numbers of families with diverse backgrounds, philosophies, and approaches abandon government-controlled schools in favor of taking responsibility for their own children's education. As they do so, they're coming under assault from officials panicking over the number of people slipping from their grasp."

"
    Unsurprisingly, as the numbers of homeschooled kids grow, their ranks expand beyond the niche populations—religious families, in particular—that originally rejected public schools. Only 16 percent of survey respondents now say they started homeschooling to provide religious instruction, says the NCES, while 34 percent report "concern about the school environment, such as safety, drugs, or negative peer pressure," and others cited "dissatisfaction with academic instruction." In North Carolina, one of very few states to ask homeschoolers to identify as religious or secular, secular homeschooling is outgrowing religious homeschooling, and now constitutes over 40 percent of the homeschooled population."

"
    But what about the impact of DIY education on the larger world—say, the development of "parallel societies" that Germany cites as grounds for banning the practice? We should be so lucky—homeschoolers seem inclined to create better societies.

"Students with greater exposure to homeschooling tend to be more politically tolerant—a finding contrary to the claims of many political theorists," reports research published in the Journal of School Choice. Defined as "the willingness to extend civil liberties to people who hold views with which one disagrees," this finding of greater political tolerance among the homeschooled has important ramifications in this factionalized and illiberal era.
    "In other words," writes author Albert Cheng of the University of Arkansas's Department of Education Reform, "members of the very group for which public schooling is believed to be most essential for inculcating political tolerance (i.e., those who are more strongly committed to a particular worldview and value system) actually exhibit at least as much or more tolerance when they are exposed to less public schooling."

Why would anyone think the the political ideology infesting the public schools would teach tolerance? They represent an ideology that hates anyone who doesn't believe and behave as ordered. I had to have remedial training, called diversity training, to learn who it is okay to hate and discriminate against and who it isn't. Kids today can get that in grammar school.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),NORAD (01-24-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),teeceetx (01-23-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    I have a relative that does homeschooling for their kids. Other than that I know nothing about it so I'll just talk about them. The problem that I would see in home schooling is that you have idiots teach (or guiding) kids in subjects that they know nothing about. Also any quirks/problems/abnormal views held by the adults are transferred to the kids because of little contact with other children & maybe others in general.

My wife once had a group of teens working for her. One of them had been homeschooled. One day he wasn't there & she heard the others talking about him. They agreed that he was the first homeschooled person that they had ever met that was "normal". Make of that what you will.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (01-23-2019)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Why would anyone think the the political ideology infesting the public schools would teach tolerance? They represent an ideology that hates anyone who doesn't believe and behave as ordered. I had to have remedial training, called diversity training, to learn who it is okay to hate and discriminate against and who it isn't. Kids today can get that in grammar school

I've been saying this for years...

Progressivism is anything but tolerant. Racial, gender, ideological, and social bigotry are hallmarks of Progressivism. They merely project on everyone else, their own feelings of hate and intolerance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usfan For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    "The problem that I would see in home schooling is that you have idiots teach (or guiding) kids in subjects that they know nothing about."

That's the problem I have with public schools.
    " It takes very little to govern good people. Very little. And bad people cant be governed at all. "
    ― Cormac McCarthy “No Country for Old Men” (2005)

"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
    -Mark Twain.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ed D For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),Jen (07-08-2019),LadyMoonlight (07-10-2019),NORAD (01-24-2019),Old Navy (01-23-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),usfan (01-23-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I have a relative that does homeschooling for their kids. Other than that I know nothing about it so I'll just talk about them. The problem that I would see in home schooling is that you have idiots teach (or guiding) kids in subjects that they know nothing about. Also any quirks/problems/abnormal views held by the adults are transferred to the kids because of little contact with other children & maybe others in general.

My wife once had a group of teens working for her. One of them had been homeschooled. One day he wasn't there & she heard the others talking about him. They agreed that he was the first homeschooled person that they had ever met that was "normal". Make of that what you will.
    I home schooled 3 of my 4 children. My twins from 8th grade through high school and my youngest from 5th grade through high school. Yes, they were less worldly than their peers. They didn't have sex or smoke or drink or do any of those fun things that high school kids enjoy doing behind their parents' backs.

What they did have was a good education. I taught at their private schools until the one in Alaska closed its doors........then I bought curriculum from that school and continued teaching my kids at home. My youngest is about to turn 30 years old. All three of them have degrees, the youngest has her Master's. They know how to deal with social situations and are self-supporting.

I want to address a couple of things you said. "in home school you have idiots teach kids in subjects they know nothing about". Yes. I am weak in science. But I used strong curriculum and ended up with a son who is a chemical engineer anyway. So it can be done right.

You are right in that some quirks held by parents are transferred to the kids. Since I am a high school English teacher I cringe when I hear or see grammatical errors....... all of my kids adopted that quirk. I don't apologize for it though. I would agree that not all parents are fit to home school their children.

Yes. Home schooled kids are different from kids in the public schools. That is one of the most important reasons people home school their kids.......... so that they will be different.
    Last edited by Jen; 01-23-2019 at 07:56 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),Ed D (01-23-2019),NORAD (01-24-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),Traddles (01-23-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Thanks
    So many things are funny about homeschooling.

More and more people are homeschooling and it is not like they get to "not pay" into the public school system with their taxes. They still have to pay.

So why isn't the public school system getting better? Same amount of money coming in. Less students to educate. Should be more money in their coffers for security and paying teachers better.

Huh. Weird.

The narrative in our societies is how horrible public schools and high schools are some of the worst experiences of everyones life. They make movies about it. Sell books about it. Talk shows and TV specials...endlessly about the horrors of living through school.

And the imbeciles running that horror show of a system simply can't fathom, or worse - actively fight against those people who school their children, away from the insanity of the public education system.
    The Progressives have become full blown NAZIs, to thwart a Hitler that doesn't exist...since that is the only way they can express, and self justify, their fascism.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canadianeye For This Useful Post:

Ed D (01-23-2019),NORAD (01-24-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),usfan (01-23-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post

You might very well be shocked to realize that VERY VERY few teachers in elementary and high school have degrees in the subjects they teach. What they DO have is an undergraduate TEACHING DEGREE, perhaps "associated" with a particular discipline. These "teachers" know very little about the subjects they "teach". Go to any high school and ask about the credentials of those who teach Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry or Biology or History or English, and I'll be you won't find 1% that have even an undergraduate degree in that subject.

And furthermore, these teachers are nearly all fully indoctrinated prog's who will be transferring their quirks/problems/abnormal views to their students, so how is it that homeschooling parents can possibly be worse than the teachers.

As far as relying on other students to determine the normalcy of others, would you really want a group of indoctrinated lemmings deciding who is normal or not? Do you not see reality?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Ed D (01-23-2019),patrickt (01-23-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),usfan (01-23-2019)

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine was teaching in a junior high and was called in a few days before school started. The principal said that the Spanish teacher had an emergency and wouldn't be teaching so Carol would teach Spanish. "But, I don't speak Spanish."

"But, you can teach. You don't actually have to know Spanish."

And, my son's history teacher taught him the Holocaust never happened and his English teacher taught that grammar, spelling, punctuation, and structure were social constructs that weren't important.

I could have taught history and English better than my son's seventh-grade teachers. In fact, I felt supplementing public school with homeschooling was essential.

And the business of picking out an example and making him universal is pointless. When I was working I arrested people for murder, rape, incest, fraud, assault, and window peeping. All they really had in common is that they'd gone to public schools. I never arrested someone who was actually homeschooled.
    Last edited by patrickt; 01-23-2019 at 08:49 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),Old Navy (01-23-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),usfan (01-23-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My daughter ho me schooled her eldest son and is in the midst of home schooling her youngest son and the oldder son helps the youngest one. The eldest one graduated highschool at 16 and the youngest one is on track to do the same.The youngest one coaches kids 5- 12 in soccer and next summer is looking forward to counciling at a Christian sum mer camp. The eldest one took up wielding as a career and is working for a company that repairs the rest areas on the turnpike. He started at 16 at 12 dollars an hr, and is currently at 18. Both are stable young men and do not use tobacco (which I get a lecture on from them every timed they see me) and have no issues with drugs. Say what you want about homeschooling, I have seen nothing wrong with it and I know several young people who have been home schooled.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (01-23-2019),Ed D (01-23-2019),Jen (01-23-2019),NORAD (01-24-2019),Rutabaga (01-23-2019),usfan (01-23-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    remove the source of indoctrination and you free the child.

end the doe.
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

usfan (01-23-2019)

Thread Information