User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homeschooling works....

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I want to address a couple of things you said. "in home school you have idiots teach kids in subjects they know nothing about". Yes. I am weak in science. But I used strong curriculum and ended up with a son who is a chemical engineer anyway. So it can be done right.

You are right in that some quirks held by parents are transferred to the kids.

Jen I specifically put in this part "
    I have a relative that does homeschooling for their kids. Other than that I know nothing about it so I'll just talk about them." It was my relatives that I was talking about. Picture a wife that is dumber than dirt. A father that makes a survivalist look like a liberal. Plus they live 30 miles outside a little town of maybe 4 or 5 thousand people. We are talking back woods kind of people (you can hear the banjo in the background). Those people shouldn't have been allowed to have kids but they did. But they shouldn't for sure have been allowed to home school them. Sadly I could add a lot more about them to show that they were totally unsuited but I think maybe you will get the picture.
    I do get the picture. And that is the biggest flaw with home schooling. There are more people unqualified to do it than those who are qualified.

Home schooling to some means letting the kids play and watch tv all day and then taking them to the grocery store and counting that as their school for the day. Not good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

potlatch (07-08-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teeceetx View Post
    You might very well be shocked to realize that VERY VERY few teachers in elementary and high school have degrees in the subjects they teach. What they DO have is an undergraduate TEACHING DEGREE, perhaps "associated" with a particular discipline. These "teachers" know very little about the subjects they "teach". Go to any high school and ask about the credentials of those who teach Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry or Biology or History or English, and I'll be you won't find 1% that have even an undergraduate degree in that subject.

And furthermore, these teachers are nearly all fully indoctrinated prog's who will be transferring their quirks/problems/abnormal views to their students, so how is it that homeschooling parents can possibly be worse than the teachers.

As far as relying on other students to determine the normalcy of others, would you really want a group of indoctrinated lemmings deciding who is normal or not? Do you not see reality?
    Teaching is a guiding process. The student is the one doing the work. A teacher needs basic knowledge of the subjects he/she teaches but doesn't need a degree in those subjects.

I am weak in chemistry. I learned it along with my son. But I do understand the teaching process and know how to use different teaching methods in any subject, and my son is now a chemical engineer because I was able to guide him and he was good at it.

You will find good and bad teachers in schools. That's unavoidable.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (07-08-2019),potlatch (07-08-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddles View Post
    My wife (mostly) and I (some) homeschooled our three K-12. One is in China studying Chinese Language and Culture at a university in central China (where Westerners are less common). One has a Business degree, but works at a software company basically doing things he taught/learned himself. And our third has "some college" and is a preschool teacher.

Your generalization, "you have idiots teach," is foolish. Homeschoolers are just too complex to generalize that way. Having become acquainted, in varying degrees, with between 1000 and 2000 homeschooling families, I say that based on some experience. Further, your generalization has an underlying assumption, that homeschooled students are only taught by their parents, that is very incorrect. Starting from the nuclear family and working outward ... there are these things called libraries, which homeschooling families very frequently. Books store knowledge, and homeschooled students are able to learn things their parents may not know. There are these things called grandparents, neighbors and friends, who, similarly, are sources of knowledge (among other things). Homeschoolers are VERY networked, with support groups, sports leagues, and much else. Among the things these networks do are field trips and co-op classes. Need I say more? I realize that states vary, but our children (following a path many homeschooling families have followed) were concurrently enrolled in the local JC while we were doing high school with them.

That one could find or encounter a homeschooled student who did poorly, I don't doubt. But generalizing from one or a very few is fallacious when one is speaking of a group that spans pretty much the full range US demographics. That said, NHERI (mentioned in the linked article) and Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) have been studying the performance of homeschoolers and using that data in courts for over three decades (IIRC, we joined HSLDA in 1987 or 1988). And their studies/findings have withstood challenge in court. So when NHERI says that homeschooled students, as a population, are doing well academically, they've done the work to reach that conclusion.

Anyone want to take up the "What about socialization" objection?
    The one most important thing any parent can teach a child is the love of learning. My parents were teachers, but they didn't home school us. We did have lots of books at home and we all loved to learn something new. Even to this day, I read constantly and try to learn new things every day/ all day. That love of learning goes a long way.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (07-08-2019),potlatch (07-08-2019)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    The one most important thing any parent can teach a child is the love of learning. My parents were teachers, but they didn't home school us. We did have lots of books at home and we all loved to learn something new. Even to this day, I read constantly and try to learn new things every day/ all day. That love of learning goes a long way.
    Instilling the love of learning is one of the most lessons a parent can bestow upon their kids.
    Last edited by HawkTheSlayer; 07-08-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Jen (07-08-2019)

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Homeschool Family's Van Runs Out Of Window Space For Stick Figure Kids

RED RIDGE, WV—The Netherton family, known by their neighbors as "that nice but kinda weird homeschooling family," was forced to buy another 15-passenger van after their current commercial-class van ran out of window space for stick figure kids again.

"We just need to upgrade to something with a lot more window space to keep up with all these stick figure kids we keep having to add to our decal," said Fred Netherton, family patriarch and full-time construction project manager. "They just don't make vans like they used to, where you could slap 100 stick figure kids on the window no problem."

His wife, Kathy, agreed. "I've got triplets in the oven right now," she said as she made dinner, taught 36 of their kids math and 10 others English, and cleaned the house. "As soon as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego pop out, we're gonna be completely out of room on the back of our van."

"It's really sad to see more vehicle manufacturers don't make massive windows to contain all these adorable, precious little decals."

Gee, how did I know? Satiric hyperbole aside, there are a good number of homeschooling families, especially among Evangelical Christians, who have four and more (and even many more) children. E.G., Lila Rose, founder of Pro-Life group Live Action was one of eight children, all homeschooled.
    Last edited by Traddles; 07-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    But. anecdotal evidence aside, home schooling does work. ...
    Statistics are just a large number of anecdotes collected and compiled by elitist snobs.
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Statistics are just a large number of anecdotes collected and compiled by elitist snobs.
    So, the U.S. census is a large number of anecdotes collected and compiled by elitist snobs? Nonsense.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    So, the U.S. census is a large number of anecdotes collected and compiled by elitist snobs? Nonsense. When I was working and we posted the statistics showing the number of cars stolen by month that was just anecdotes collected and compiled by elitist snobs. Nonsense.

Anecdotal evidence is, "My nephew went to public school and is doing fine." And, idiots extrapolate from that "evidence" that public schools run by Democrats and teachers unions are fine so charter schools, homeschooling, and private schools should be harassed, taxed out of existence, or banned and made illegal.

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Instilling the love of learning is one of the most lessons a parent can bestow upon their kids.
    Damn spell check. That's supposed to be 'best'.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I do get the picture. And that is the biggest flaw with home schooling. There are more people unqualified to do it than those who are qualified.

Home schooling to some means letting the kids play and watch tv all day and then taking them to the grocery store and counting that as their school for the day. Not good.
    That is also one of the biggest flaws in public schooling. I have a friend who taught Spanish for two years before she ever took a Spanish class. "Well, if you're a good teacher you don't have to know the subject matter.
    When I felt the need to supplement public schooling with home schooling I wasn't reluctant to use outside resources. It was amazing how many of my friends knew amazing things I didn't and were happy to help. On on occasion, I hired a tutor for my son and in six sessions she'd repaired most of the damage done by the teacher.

As I mentioned before, there are frauds who claim they are homeschooling when their kids are getting no schooling. This is not against home schooling but against the same government who runs public schooling. The same government that tolerates truancy and supports open-campus schools.

I learned algebra from the track coach. Care to guess how that worked out?
    Last edited by patrickt; 07-10-2019 at 12:18 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Jen (07-10-2019)

Thread Information