User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: America Has Massive Cheese Surplus

Wannabe Spartan Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is a cheesy thread.

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    So, your answer is to pretty well just throw it all away, without compensating the producers. Great answer.
    The LAW's answer.

The government is prohibited from competing with private industry. And if it were not, it would undercut the price of milk/cheese/whatnot.

Yes, the product was "thrown away" the minute the government took delivery of the "surplus." It would probably shock you, how much of that cheese over the years has been just thrown away.

My answer is to supply it to non-profit government and quasi-government agencies that have to procure food.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    That's a bunch of bologna. If the government is 'supporting the going price of milk', then how come Great Value Milk is $1.48 a gallon, Hiland is $2.48 or more, and Golden Royal is $2.75? Plus, if the government was buying up all the surplus, then how come the dairy farmers are scourged with the problem of so much surplus?

The problem for the dairy farmers is that the government is NOT buying it, as was promised to them, to make up for the tariffs. Hence, the dairy farmers are barely scratching out a living.
    We OWE THEM, for having caused their circumstances w/the tariffs on steel and aluminum. What? You're willing to let the dairy industry die on the vine, while we wait for the tariffs to measure out?

That's just not plain smart.

Besides, in order to do as you suggest as a solution, FIRST the government would have to buy it, no?

The federal government has NO CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to be the Big Cheese Baron.

None.

Farmers putting too much milk on the market, so the price is too low?

Shoot some damn cows or give some of them a break. A mammal continuously pumping milk is not a natural condition.

The price of milk isn't high enough for some farmers to remain solvent? La-dee-dah and ain't that some tough shit that I should not be taxed to cover.

Shoot some more damn cows.

Eventually, enough cows will be through the barbeque stage that the enforced scarcity of milk will naturally drive up the cost to the point where the dairy farmers are covering their expenses.

Fascism doesn't work in the dairy industry because fascism never works. Get the government out of the price-regulating business, do it for dairy, do it for ALL ag products.

Free markets are what works.

Now the government is holding a vast surplus of unwanted cheese.

When do I get MY money back?
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

darroll (01-13-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    The LAW's answer.

The government is prohibited from competing with private industry. And if it were not, it would undercut the price of milk/cheese/whatnot.

Yes, the product was "thrown away" the minute the government took delivery of the "surplus." It would probably shock you, how much of that cheese over the years has been just thrown away.

My answer is to supply it to non-profit government and quasi-government agencies that have to procure food.
    Gotta wonder how much of that protein winds up in pet foods and fertilizers...

….I recall, when we crossed the Panama Canal, that we took aboard some cheese, some fresh produce, and ten five gallon tubs of really good ice cream.

The cooks immediately rationed the ice cream so that in the one-week trip to San Diego (would have been five days, but our Navigator turned right...ahem..) the crew had ice cream for dessert only two night.

And then the day before we pulled into San Diego, we surfaced specifically so the cooks could take all that foreign national food topside and heave it overboard.

Asshole officers and a total waste of good ice cream and cheese.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.

Civilians would be amazed at the equipment that got "float-tested" off our carrier. Just out of the Personnel Office (shipboard) there were steel desks...even a computer-controlled IBM copier (this, in 1994) that didn't fit the new, exciting layout of the office.

(The Personnel Officer, a jackass O1E who was a minority, wanted a commendation for dedication to improving The Mission. So he sought to renovate the office underway to the Persian Gulf...using aircraft-grade aluminum, welders, a lot of chop-sawing and much wasted space. And us clerks sitting on bar-stools, instead of chairs, at a counter - the start of my back problems. This was done to demonstrate **DEDICATION**. The new copier didn't fit in the floorplan, so it disappeared one night.)

Yeah, in the greater scheme of things, tossed ice cream was a small thing. And I'll bet your MSs got stiffies, throwing away THE most-popular food on your tube.

As to the first premise...along with the Price Supports, goes, now, the hyper-regulation of dairy farmers. Milk is now treated as Hazardous Material - because it contains OILS. Yes, that's right. All the non-productive cofferdams and Spill Kits and reports and inspections - to show NO SPILLED MILK on the ground.

So...as we abandon price supports, let them also leave these poor titty-pullers and cow-drivers be, with the goobermint persecution.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    I have not noticed a drop in the retail price of cheese in this area. I want to see the price of smoked Gouda drop by a couple of bucks.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That stuff isn't being made into smoked Gouda.

It becomes American pasteurized processed cheese. The kind that the Fallen Arches puts on burgers.

Government at work. It cannot make good use of dairy products, or of medical personnel, or taxpayer money. Yet idiots want to give it moar-moar-MOAR.

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Evidently, I wasn't clear. That the dairies had more product than they could sell, are the lumps that come with supply and demand economics. However, it's not as simple as that.

The dairy farmers had no control over the steel and aluminum TARIFFS. The government did that, and knew there'd be a backlash, so made them a deal to keep them solvent, until the tariffs eventually evened out. (Which I believe they would.)
    To that extent, the government owes the dairy farmers to be 'in the milk and cheese business.'

NAFTA put a major hurt on the dairy farms, also; especially in Wisconsin, where dairies are down 20% over the last 5 years. People who've been in the business for generations are auctioning off their farms, not selling them. It's a dire situation in areas that depended on that industry to keep their towns thriving. There's hope that the new trade deal w/Canada will help alleviate that.

This is not the government being involved in the dairy business, specifically. It's a side-effect of the trade deals they make.

Meanwhile, Dean Foods, a major supplier of dairy products across the country, has dropped contracts they've had w/dairy farmers for years; giving some 90 days to find a new buyer. Grassland gave others, as little as 30. Not too many can turn around any business that fast. In short, there's no one to come get their milk, and even if some do, it's at discounted prices.
    Some blame Walmart. They've had a hand in this. If anyone is interested, here's the skinny behind Dean, Grassland, and Walmart:
    Dozens More Farmers Lose Milk Contracts | Dairy Herd Management

Bottom line: There's a heck of a lot more involved than simple supply and demand economics. And while you can eat a Holstein, it'd be a mighty expensive way to go about putting meat on your table.
    I've only had two beers in dog years.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (01-13-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Having worked in a dairy I have a personal understanding of their plight. These price supports started right after WWII and created a special set of bureaucrats at USDA. They aren't about to give up their fiefdom.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

darroll (01-13-2019),JustPassinThru (01-13-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    This probably happened when some elected official's kid could not make it in their stinky cheese business. Now the kid is a real businessperson.

Thread Information