Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Definitive Guide to Tipping at Any Restaurant in America

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    My wife, being from NYC, always tips twice the tax on a bill. I guess in NYC, where tax is tenfold what it is here, is most likely a good way to figure a good tip but that does not work well here in Florida at all.

I always figure 20% (at least) or more if service was excellent in restaurants.

My barber charges $12 for a trim. I always hand him a $20 and the rest is his. Like @Northern Rivers tossing a $5 in the tip jar, you are certainly remembered on the next visit.

Pizza delivery (sorry @JustPassinThru , I don't order grub hub and stuff) is always a five spot.
    That's a twenty in their tip jar!
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (12-06-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I tip because it's expected & the norm, but I don't understand the concept of tipping. As I understand it a tip is a reward for good service. Ok, I get that but what is the actual service? A server takes down the order correctly, isn't that their job? Once someone else cooks & puts the food on the plate they then bring it out in a timely manner, again isn't that their job? They refill drinks which more than likely your charged for. And if the round of drinks is free I can see a reward there but a reward on the whole meal, not just the drinks?

Tipping is a reward for doing a good job but how hard is serving food, which your being paid to do in the first place? It seems to me that IF tipping is the standard we are doing it for the wrong people. How about the mechanic that works on your car or the postman that delivers your mail in the rain & snow? And sure doctors are paid a lot but shouldn't we tip them for saving our lives which is much more tip worthy than making sure that our food gets to the table while it's hot?

Like I said, I tip (actually I over tip) but not because I understand the concept of tipping. I just tip because it's expected.
    Taking an order and delivering the food is harder than you think. I am guessing you never worked in a restaurant. The server/waiter gets the shit for everything, from how the food is cooked to how bad a day the customer had. The difference between a car mechanic, postal worker, or whoever and a server is that the server has a much lower base pay, and has to deal directly with the customer to make their money.

You go in and get your brakes done if you even talk to the mechanic he can tell you to piss off if he does not like the way you talk to him, doesn't change the money he makes. Your postman can deliver you the wrong mail every single day and it will not impact his wages. Doctors? They often get it wrong and suffer no consequences financially, a waiter/server is screwed financially if they get it wrong, and in a lot of cases if the cook gets it wrong.

Imagine if people had the option of just paying the mechanic or doctor just for the physical goods received and could then not pay any more if they choose not to.

I waited tables for over ten years when I was younger, full time and part time, to be good at it is to be able to adjust your personality to what each table wants. You have to take whatever shit they want to deal out without knowing if it will pay out. And, you are actually held to a higher standard than other professions because you are considered easy to replace, so if you say one wrong word, goodbye job.

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    We almost always "over-tip". For a good waiter or waitress we always ask to see the manager - we get some amusing "What now?!" weary looks as the manager walks up - and let the manager know that (Server's Name) had been great.
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn't know because they might reflect badly on Democrats. - Jim Treacher

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Taking an order and delivering the food is harder than you think. I am guessing you never worked in a restaurant.

Actually when I was a kid I did work in restaurants for 3 years. I do get that wait staff get shit for everything but that aside I would still think that the money you receive should be in line with the skills that you need for the job. And I'm not saying that you don't need some skills for that job but I will say that you need less skills than a lot of other jobs. Maybe it's just me. I go in & order & once I get my food I want nothing else but the check. I've never asked for a drink refill or coffee afterward or even desert.

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @sargentodiaz, where is that Derby restaurant you refer to?
    I've only had two beers in dog years.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    @sargentodiaz, where is that Derby restaurant you refer to?
    It used to be on Wilshire Blvd across the street from the big hotel where Bobby Kennedy was assinated. Torn down years ago.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - rambling and musing about military life.

I proudly voted for President Trump!

English, thus superior Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My wife, being from NYC, always tips twice the tax on a bill. I guess in NYC, where tax is tenfold what it is here, is most likely a good way to figure a good tip but that does not work well here in Florida at all.

I always figure 20% (at least) or more if service was excellent in restaurants.

My barber charges $12 for a trim. I always hand him a $20 and the rest is his. Like @Northern Rivers tossing a $5 in the tip jar, you are certainly remembered on the next visit.

Pizza delivery (sorry @JustPassinThru , I don't order grub hub and stuff) is always a five spot.

There is no tipping regulations at all in the Uk, the serving staff are paid a minimum wage of 10:50 an hour, if the serving staff is exceptional and shows perfunctory attentiveness a tip is in order....if you so wish.
    A gentleman never insults unintentionally.

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Cruise View Post
    There is no tipping regulations at all in the Uk, the serving staff are paid a minimum wage of 10:50 an hour, if the serving staff is exceptional and shows perfunctory attentiveness a tip is in order....if you so wish.
    That’s good for you over there. Some of these restaurant people chomping gum and giving only average service demand big tips. I always leave something but that something depends on how attentive you are to my needs. After all if I didn’t come in at restaurant and spend money they would be sitting home watching Jerry Springer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Tom-Cruise (12-08-2018)

English, thus superior Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That’s good for you over there. Some of these restaurant people chomping gum and giving only average service demand big tips. I always leave something but that something depends on how attentive you are to my needs. After all if I didn’t come in at restaurant and spend money they would be sitting home watching Jerry Springer.
    Often working away from home I use restraurants occasionally, I’ll wait inside until someone comes to me to direct me to a table, 9/10 they will try to sit me out of the way in an unlit or derelict area. When this happens I tell them that it won’t do and point to an area i want to sit in.
    From then on no thoughts of tipping enter my head.
    A gentleman never insults unintentionally.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom-Cruise For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (12-08-2018)

Thread Information