User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just sent the CDC a nasty gram

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    We have city sewer, our house was built in the 60's. Cast iron pipes, tree roots are growing into it. OUR house (mother in laws in the back yard) has a straight run of about 80 ft and then takes a 90degree to the right and joins the main house.

A plumber wanted over 2 K to replace about 40ft of line. I was thinking that digging around it and extricating the tree roots from the outside, might work? @Rickity Plumber
    Many houses built in the late fifties and sixties had a sewer line called "Orangeburg". It was wrapped layers of tar paper forming a 'tube' of pipe.

What was not known at that time was that after 25 years or so, the tar paper becomes flattened which causes slowness and back ups. Any tree roots would hasten the process of stoppages.

There is no fix for this. It needs replaced. If you can dig up a section an see the pipe, you would be able to tell and see this flattening process.

It is still common to find houses in Bradenton with the original tar paper pipe.

The cast iron pipes from the same time period giving way also. Replace them and be done with it.
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 11-24-2018 at 05:41 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (11-24-2018)

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Many houses built in the late fifties and sixties had a sewer line called "Orangeburg". It was wrapped layers of tar paper forming a 'tube' of pipe.

What was not known at that time was that after 25 years or so, the tar paper becomes flattened which causes slowness and back ups. Any tree roots would hasten the process of stoppages.

There is no fix for this. It needs replaced. If you can dig up a section an see the pipe, you would be able to tell and see this flattening process.

It is still common to find houses in Bradenton with the original tar paper pipe.

The cast iron pipes from the same time period giving way also. Replace them and be done with it.
    Could it be that hard to do myself? I know it needs the proper slope. If I could manage to do it, I might get a month of free rent and we could actually have something resembling a savings account.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Could it be that hard to do myself? I know it needs the proper slope. If I could manage to do it, I might get a month of free rent and we could actually have something resembling a savings account.
    Ain't easy digging but just dig alongside old line and follow it to the sewer connection at street. With luck it will be very shallow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (11-24-2018)

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Ain't easy digging but just dig alongside old line and follow it to the sewer connection at street. With luck it will be very shallow.
    Think he said it's 8 inches. A plumber stuck a camera down there and said tree roots are growing in it. Plumber wanted over 2K to run about 40 ft, said he could even get it done sometime in the next week!

No shit? For that kind of $ I could of done it yesterday!
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (11-24-2018)

Thread Information