User Tag List

Thread: Collard kraut?

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Collard kraut?

Has anyone ever heard of "collard kraut"? I've heard of kraut made from cabbage.... and...I've made it........ but never from collards! I have a nice patch of collards...so I think I'll try this recipe tomorrow! GHQ

Collard Kraut

On 5 Dec 2005 at 11:19, Wildria wrote:> My father annually made a batch of sauerkraut using collard greens. > As part of our family recollections we are searching for a recipe as> none of us know the recipe and he died before passing the recipe down.> Could this have been the usual cabbage version with collard greens> substituted?> > - Wildria Hi Wildria,
    My Great-Aunt Eula Taylor, from Mooreville, Mississippi, used to make this. Sorry, I don't have her recipe.
    There is a recipe below, but I believe that you can use any good cabbage sauerkraut recipe, by substituting the collard greens for the cabbage.

Collard Kraut

Ingredients:5 gallons collards
    1 cup canning or pickling salt.

Procedure: Rinse collards, chop or shred to desired consistency. Layer about 1 gallon of collards and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons salt in large glass jars, food-approved plastic containers or stoneware crocks. Then add more layers of collards and salt until container is full, leaving approximately 4 to 5 inches of space at top of container. Add water until it covers the chopped collards. The collards should be completely submerged in the brine. Add plate and weights; cover container with a clean bath towel.Store at 70 F for fermenting. At this temperature it will take approximately 3 to 4 weeks to ferment. If any scum forms above the plate or weight, remove it about 2 to 3 times a week. Taste in about two weeks. Allow collards to ferment until desired flavor is reached.

Storage: Fully fermented kraut may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for several months or it may be canned as follows:

Hot Pack: Bring kraut and liquid slowly to a boil in a large kettle,stirring frequently. Remove from heat and fill jars rather firmly with kraut and juices, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Adjust lids and process pints for 10 minutes and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Raw Pack: Fill jars firmly with kraut and cover with juices, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts in a boiling water bath.
    Last edited by Garden House Queen; 11-06-2018 at 06:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Garden House Queen For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (11-06-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    sounds great. Let me know.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiny1 For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (11-06-2018),HawkTheSlayer (11-06-2018)

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    I will pick my first batch of collards this weekend. I like large, monsta leaves. Lol.
    That reminds me to add some smoked pigtails and skinless ham shanks to my grocery list.

Please let us know how It turns out.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (11-06-2018)

Junior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    I await your report, as well. We raise almost all of our own veggies and always have large quantities of collards and all of the other greens. The salt content may be a source of concern, but we'll see how it turns out.
    ​Dirt Bike Riding.....a sure fire cure for cattle ranch burnout!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Agman For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (11-08-2018)

Thread Information