User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Famed San Francisco Giants Star Willie McCovey

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registeredCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianeye View Post
    Great player. Remember him.

Same age as Mad Maxine.

Wish I coulda make a pick between em.
    Willie McCovey always said that the left-hand batters who reminded him of himself were Chicago Cubs' Billy Williams and the New York Mets Darryl Strawberry. Both were great - Williams played in Wrigley Field his entire career like Ernie Banks, with no postseason success. Strawberry was so good everybody thought he was just a lazy player out there. But, McCovey in comparison and those are two talents worthy of the comparison, always hit home runs like David Kingman. When he connected, local Air Traffic Control and sometimes NASA had to be notified of flying objects in the flight path. A great talent, he will be missed and loved by baseball fans all over America......... - Stan -
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 11-02-2018 at 07:49 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Fan For This Useful Post:

Virgil Jones (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Definitely remember Bob Gibson. He was a serious weapon for the Cards.
    Bob Gibson was as fierce a pitcher who ever walked onto the playing field, St.Louis or anyplace else. He hit home runs in the 1967 and 1968 World Series for the Cards against Boston and Detroit. His catcher, announcer today, Tim McCarver, who caught all his games in St.Louis, tells some stories about him. Said if he was facing a punch and judy hitter up there, who kept fouling his pitches off, he would get madder and madder, could see it in his eyes. Then, eventually in Gibby's mind, he would just give up and concede the base to the mini-hitter, by drilling him right between the shoulder blades. "Ya want that base that bad - here it is." Then he would strike out the next guy, who would be scared to death to step into the batter's box, on three or four pitches max. Gibson loved the hollow sound the ball made striking a player in the back.

McCarver also says if he happened to be having a rare bad day - around the 5th inning or so, and be trailing 5-0, 7-1 or something like that, he, and the manager would keep looking at each other, because neither one wanted to go out to the mound and take the ball away from Gibson and bring in a reliever. Finally, however, it would become necessary, and they would creep out there, and Gibson would yell - "Where the hell you two been all day, ya should have got me out of here way back in the third inning."

Gotta love players like that - Mays; Mantle; Musiel; Banks; Clemente; Strawberry; Carlton (who McCarver also caught in Philadelphia and says he only played catch, never even saw the batter), and so many many others who have honored the game with their talent and presence like Willie McCovey did. Sparky Anderson's comments are probably true......... - Stan -
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 11-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Jones View Post
    I only remember McCovey from the very end of his career, I really got into baseball around 1979. The Steroid Era ruined baseball for me for decades, but I am like a kid again these last few years with my renewed love of the sport.

The Dodgers resigned Kershaw today, and I am truly excited about the sport.
    I’ve had a life long love affair of the game, even during the steroid error, to be honest about it there have been illegal drugs in baseball since the beginning. In the sixties and seventies uppers where big, while I would prefer it wasn’t the case. If they all are doing it, it’s still a fair game and let’s be honest again in the steroid error almost all were using it. Even today their are designer HGH and steroids that are undetectable, I’m not convinced it’s a clean game today. Throwing triple digits is so common today it’s unreal, makes me wonder.

What was the new Kershaw deal, must have been really high. Dodgers got a crap load of money so it’s not a problem for them. He really is a incredible good pitcher, unfortunately he has not been able to perform in the postseason at the same level and he is getting older his fastball has decreased the past couple seasons.

I wonder who's gonna sign that dirtbag Machado, he’s a cheap shot player and really laid an egg in the WS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Definitely remember Bob Gibson. He was a serious weapon for the Cards.
    Bob Gibson was as fierce a pitcher who ever walked onto the playing field, St.Louis or anyplace else. He hit home runs in the 1967 and 1968 World Series for the Cards against Boston and Detroit. His catcher, announcer today, Tim McCarver, who caught all his games in St.Louis, tells some stories about him. Said if he was facing a punch-judy hitter up there, who kept fouling his pitches off, he would get madder and madder, could see it in his eyes. Then, eventually in Gibby's mind, he would just give up and concede the base to the mini-hitter, by drilling him right between the shoulder blades. "Ya want that base that bad - here it is." Then he would strike out the next guy, who would be scared to death to step into the batter's box, on three or four pitches max. Gibson loved the hollow sound the ball made striking a player in the back.

McCarver also says if he happened to be having a rare bad day - around the 5th inning or so, and be trailing 5-0, 7-1 or something like that, he, and the manager would keep looking at each other, because neither one wanted to go out to the mound and take the ball away from Gibson and bring in a reliever. Finally, however, it would become necessary, and they would creep out there, and Gibson would yell - "Where the hell you two been all day, ya should have got me out of here way back in the third inning."

Gotta love players like that - Mays; Mantle; Musiel; Banks; Clemente; Strawberry; Carlton (who McCarver also caught in Philadelphia and says he only played catch, never even saw the batter), and so many many others who have honored the game with their talent and presence like Willie McCovey did. Sparky Anderson's comments are probably true......... - Stan =
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 11-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Fan For This Useful Post:

Agman (11-04-2018)

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMWinPR View Post
    @JustPassinThru. The 49ers have been owned by Ed Debartolo Jr of Y'town OH. And his brother-in-law Dr John York. Ed had some issues with a LA team, and had to sell off his ownership. They were the first of the "Mall Builders". Helped the shopping experience, but destroyed many small towns. He was a year or so behind me, didn't know his sister.
    I don't blame DeBartolo. He was one of many; and if he didn't build them, someone else did. Just as several others were working on an incandescent light bulb, independent of Thomas Edison. Just as the Dodge Brothers and Ransom Olds and David Dunbar Buick were working on mass-production of autos, independent of Henry Ford.

The time was right. The car culture; suburbia. The downtown stores were oriented around a railway-and-streetcar world. The General Store went away because the prices were higher and quality lower, in small-scale local operations. The mall replaced the town center; and when the Grate Society destroyed the center cities with crime and subsidizing idleness, malls offered an alternative commercial center.

Of course, now that we've exported crime to whole regions, destroyed the family across the whole of society, and with money-printing and manipulations, have destroyed the middle-class earning power, malls are dying. Amazon will die, too...we're working down to a subsistence economy.

Thread Information