User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waaa! I am NOT happy

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    I wanted a touchscreen and have my eye on a model with a pen that I can use for artwork. I want to draw on the screen. I use Word and got office as a consequence of cloud storage. I keep everything in one drive. I am not computer savvy and would not dream of Linux. I have a tablet that I use as an ereader. I can see my 2in1 replacing that too. It's old and getting creaky.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Katzndogz For This Useful Post:

usfan (09-14-2018)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    I got a nice little HP Pavillion touchscreen with a pen. It is small, which is what I wanted and 200 less than I was planning on paying. I am surprised at how much it does by itself. It transferred my Microsoft subscription by itself and installed the printer by itself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Katzndogz For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (09-14-2018)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzndogz View Post
    I got a nice little HP Pavillion touchscreen with a pen. It is small, which is what I wanted and 200 less than I was planning on paying. I am surprised at how much it does by itself. It transferred my Microsoft subscription by itself and installed the printer by itself.
    Bomb-diggity!

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good that you found something that's working.

Everyone's needs are different. I can't abide a smartphone. Other people, kids mostly, are so used to it, they're lost on a computer.

Even I...I use Linux for almost everything, but there's a few tasks that Windows, ONLY Windows, will do. So I have to keep a computer nearby that has it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (09-14-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    My half ass little computer is dying. It's not a top of the line or even middle of the line system. It was a $179. emergency stop gap 4 years ago. I had it repaired once for $210. Now the same thing is happening. Rather than fix the damn thing my son said just bite the bullet and get a new system.

I'm thinking about an HP 2in1 with a touch screen that can be used as a tsblet.

Does anyone know about these?

If that's what you want, it sounds fine to me. I never buy new computers. I buy refurbs on ebay for a few hundred or less. Computers from the win7 era that have too little RAM for win10 are available with newly installed win7 or another older win os and are plenty fast enough for the linux distros I use.

Check on ebay for refurbished computers if you like. It might turn out OK for you.
    A Mexican, a Jew and a colored guy walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck outta here".

- Clint Eastwood as Walt Kowalski in "Gran Torino".

50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    I'd seriously consider trying Ubuntu Linux.

It will do 80 percent of what Windows will do. It works on minimal resources - its entire footprint is a tenth of the size of Windows.

It's not subject to hacks - since Linux users are between 6 and 8 percent of internet computer users, and they tend to be more savvy...hackers don't bother with them. And there's a firewall as part of Ubuntu's software. Not hard to access once you read up on how.

NO software to buy. Firefox and a word-processing/spreadsheet program are included with the standard load. The "office suite" includes conversion/translation programs so you can read/save as Word or WordWorks documents. In the software repository is Chromium and some other optional browsers, as well as several video players. I use VLC, although now the standard generic movie player plays just fine. Didn't always, but does now.

You do need to know where to find basic terminal commands. Don't bother memorizing them; here, Google really is your friend. You can search something like "Ubuntu 16.02 update crashed" and you'll find actual help, including exact terminal commands, often, to get you out of your situation.

My advice would be to get one computer loaded with Ubuntu while you're learning, and have a backup computer. Maybe a used one that's newer than yours. Have your old one loaded with Ubuntu or Debian or Slackware, and get used to it.

Soon you'll prefer it.

FWIW, Ubuntu tends to work best with Toshibas, for some reason. I've had it on several others, and while it worked, and okay, it wasn't as easy or as smooth-running. Some crashes and sometimes updates didn't take, or wireless or Bluetooth features didn't work.
    Those who know Ubuntu know Ubunto, those who know Slackware know Linux.

I am still learning Slackware. Has the standard programs GIMP for photos, Firefox, wordprocessing, etc. But heaven help if you have a wireless card that it does not recognize. That takes research to find out what to download.

Recently on another older system I found that the ndiswrapper that I used to load the drivers for a contrary wireless card would not work when I did upgrades that also upgraded the "kernal" the older notebook (Dell) is notorious for not working with Slackware when it comes to the broadcom wireless card. Had to download and install a slackbuild script or two to get the OS to communicate with the wireless.

Tried Cinnamon once (free) but didn't like it. It seemed to not want me to have administrator status after install. May have made a mistake while installing it. Not sure just didn't want to screw with reinstalling it to see what options I may have messed up.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    If that's what you want, it sounds fine to me. I never buy new computers. I buy refurbs on ebay for a few hundred or less. Computers from the win7 era that have too little RAM for win10 are available with newly installed win7 or another older win os and are plenty fast enough for the linux distros I use.

Check on ebay for refurbished computers if you like. It might turn out OK for you.
    If you live in a large area (which I don't) you might check out second hand stores where people just donated and older computer because they wanted to move on to the latest and greatest.

When I lived in Arizona I found a replacement print head for a Panasonic KXP 1124 I think it is KXP it's something 1124. It happened to be on a printer with a cracked case that I saved as a source for future part needs.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am an Apple fan....Iíve had an OS Lion for 5 or 6 years and this sucker never gets sick,(virus).And I havenít scratched the surface on what it is capable of.I wouldnít own anyting else.

English, thus superior Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Good that you found something that's working.

Everyone's needs are different. I can't abide a smartphone. Other people, kids mostly, are so used to it, they're lost on a computer.

Even I...I use Linux for almost everything, but there's a few tasks that Windows, ONLY Windows, will do. So I have to keep a computer nearby that has it.
    I have 2 iPads which I use all of the time, it’s much easier for me to read drawings or work related stuff because of its compactness on site or at home.
    If I need to use a laptop I have a Samsung 500Gb which is all I need, I’m not a gamer, this Samsung I have is practically new because it’s hardly used.
    A gentleman never insults unintentionally.

Thread Information