User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waaa! I am NOT happy

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzndogz View Post
    I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. They work just fine.
    Oh, sure. So do I.

But with a tablet, you cannot use anything but a Bluetooth keyboard. And there IS no provision for a mouse. You're expected to use your finger - touch it, to scroll or as you would with a mouse.

That's one of the things I found INTOLERABLE. If the iPad had had a mouse driver, even aftermarket, I could have adapted. But, not using my fat, clumsy finger to hit buttons.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    I'd seriously consider trying Ubuntu Linux.

It will do 80 percent of what Windows will do. It works on minimal resources - its entire footprint is a tenth of the size of Windows.

It's not subject to hacks - since Linux users are between 6 and 8 percent of internet computer users, and they tend to be more savvy...hackers don't bother with them. And there's a firewall as part of Ubuntu's software. Not hard to access once you read up on how.

NO software to buy. Firefox and a word-processing/spreadsheet program are included with the standard load. The "office suite" includes conversion/translation programs so you can read/save as Word or WordWorks documents. In the software repository is Chromium and some other optional browsers, as well as several video players. I use VLC, although now the standard generic movie player plays just fine. Didn't always, but does now.

You do need to know where to find basic terminal commands. Don't bother memorizing them; here, Google really is your friend. You can search something like "Ubuntu 16.02 update crashed" and you'll find actual help, including exact terminal commands, often, to get you out of your situation.

My advice would be to get one computer loaded with Ubuntu while you're learning, and have a backup computer. Maybe a used one that's newer than yours. Have your old one loaded with Ubuntu or Debian or Slackware, and get used to it.

Soon you'll prefer it.

FWIW, Ubuntu tends to work best with Toshibas, for some reason. I've had it on several others, and while it worked, and okay, it wasn't as easy or as smooth-running. Some crashes and sometimes updates didn't take, or wireless or Bluetooth features didn't work.

I have to disagree. She does not sound like a user that wants to have to tinker with anything to get stuff to run. As far as OS footprint... Who cares? HDs are now in the terabyte range and just about every modern computer is loading the OS on an SSD drive.

Firefox is free to everyone, and the Office software you are talking about is probably OpenOffice, which is free for Windows.

As far as being hacked, Windows has a ton of free options to protect you, AVG is probably the best right now and if you are not going to shady sites, you are pretty safe.

VLC works great on Windows, and it has built-in video support to start with.

As you pointed out, certain hardware does not agree with Linux and until you track down the solution(s) it will constantly crash. Windows is compatible with all hardware, for the same reason, it has more viruses aimed at it.

For a user that wants no hassle when trying to get things to run, Windows is the better choice. Plus, just about any computer, she buys will come with Windows pre-loaded. Do you really see her downloading Linux to another drive/storage device, then wiping Windows from the machine and installing another OS?
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 09-14-2018 at 03:17 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

usfan (09-14-2018)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. They work just fine.
    Yeah, wireless keyboard is the same as what they call a real keyboard. They were talking about a physical keyboard that you can actually press keys on, as opposed to a virtual keyboard that is just on your screen, like on a smartphone.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There is nothing on my computer's hard drive. It only has a 32 and most of that is eaten up with the operating system. I've had so many computers crash on me and lose everything that i keep everything in the cloud on one drive. That's my problem. Updates eat up the teensy bit of storage I have. Then hp has to take the old stuff out. I got a repair stick from hp but it costs 149.00 to get the remote repair service. The whole thing was only 179.00. And in a year or two it will have to be done again. That's why my son said it's not worth it. I paid enough for a better one already.
    My last purchase was a Chromebook. The Chrome OS is a work in progress but it's interesting. If you don't have work that requires a Windows/Apple system you might take a look at the Chromebooks. YouTube has a lot of videos discussing them. One warning, the idiots at YouTube promote "Why you should use Chromebooks" that are a year or more old. It is new and developing and a year ago is meaningless. Look for videos from the last four months or so.

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    My half ass little computer is dying. It's not a top of the line or even middle of the line system. It was a $179. emergency stop gap 4 years ago. I had it repaired once for $210. Now the same thing is happening. Rather than fix the damn thing my son said just bite the bullet and get a new system.

I'm thinking about an HP 2in1 with a touch screen that can be used as a tsblet.

Does anyone know about these?
    Yes! I am viewing and replying on my HP 2in1 as we speak! I have had it for about 4 years now and it is perfect for what we do here.

I did purchase a small wireless mouse and use it instead of that gawd awful flat pad.

I used to take it apart and use as a tablet but I do not do that anymore as I really think it was a novelty to me.

The battery life is only an hour and a half which is not that great. I do keep it plugged in. During the power outage at the last hurricane we had, I used it and my Samsung phone as a hotspot to stay connected to the web and most importantly for our great @Trinnity 's, The Politics Forums.

I do not use the keyboard feature on screen but I have used it when it was new. I just use my HP as a small laptop.

Don't expect it to do much of anything else like more expensive laptops can do. This is basically a internet connected device that is great for doing just that.

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 09-14-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks
    There is nothing on my computer's hard drive. It only has a 32 and most of that is eaten up with the operating system. I've had so many computers crash on me and lose everything that i keep everything in the cloud on one drive. That's my problem. Updates eat up the teensy bit of storage I have. Then hp has to take the old stuff out. I got a repair stick from hp but it costs 149.00 to get the remote repair service. The whole thing was only 179.00. And in a year or two it will have to be done again. That's why my son said it's not worth it. I paid enough for a better one already.
    By the way, this HP 2in1 of mine has never crashed or experienced a virus disruption. My big HP 32" all in one has done so many times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Detachable 2-in-1s are basically tablets with an included keyboard. The systems that offer a built-in touchscreen for a desktop are somewhat useless because you will immediately find that using mouse and keyboard is much faster and easier than using a touchscreen.

This is true @Katzndogz . Very true, in fact I will give @Retiredat50 a big "Tru Dat"!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    I have to disagree. She does not sound like a user that wants to have to tinker with anything to get stuff to run. As far as OS footprint... Who cares? HDs are now in the terabyte range and just about every modern computer is loading the OS on an SSD drive.

Firefox is free to everyone, and the Office software you are talking about is probably OpenOffice, which is free for Windows.

As far as being hacked, Windows has a ton of free options to protect you, AVG is probably the best right now and if you are not going to shady sites, you are pretty safe.

VLC works great on Windows, and it has built-in video support to start with.

As you pointed out, certain hardware does not agree with Linux and until you track down the solution(s) it will constantly crash. Windows is compatible with all hardware, for the same reason, it has more viruses aimed at it.

For a user that wants no hassle when trying to get things to run, Windows is the better choice. Plus, just about any computer, she buys will come with Windows pre-loaded. Do you really see her downloading Linux to another drive/storage device, then wiping Windows from the machine and installing another OS?
    That's my man, @Retiredat50 !

Sr ADMIN/Founder Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    FIRE and replace the bad Republicans in their primaries, but NEVER EVER vote for a Democrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertLafollet View Post
    The left is going to take it's country back.
    No, Robert, no you're not, and you never will.

The Last Free American V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the use.. if you need a bigger screen, keyboard, and power, a laptop or desktop would be better. But if you just post on forums or shop amazon & ebay, a tablet or phone are adequate. I would not bother with a tablet.. either get a full powered computer, or a handheld.

I need a full power computer for business.. architectural drawing, spreadsheets, financial management, etc. But i do most of my other computer related work on a smartphone. It has limitations, but the portability and ease of use makes it workable for me.
    Uniformity and conformity is for lemmings and progressive indoctrinees, not a free people.

Thread Information